Why is the Optimus 111T so popular abroad?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by OptimusprimeNorway, Jan 18, 2021.

1. OptimusprimeNorway Norway

As the headline says, why is the Optimus 111T so popular abroad? I have sold a number of these on Norwegian sales sites, and I am constantly contacted by Asians who want to buy them. Optimus with roar burner is almost only of interest to Scandinavians.

I have had many Optimus 111s, and I think the 111T works poorly. If there is a little wind, it loses a lot of effect. There are also a lot of problems with them. They are poorly assembled and leaks are common. If I'm going on a trip and have an Optimus 111 with me, it's the one with the roar burner that will be in the backpack.

The only benefits I can see are lower sound, and that they can run on more than one type of fuel. That said, there are many who fire regular optimus 111 (Not B or T) with gasoline as well, even though it says kerosene only.

This is a regular Optimus 111 from the Norwegian military that I have sold. It had petrol in the tank when I got it, and it burns well with petrol as you can see.

But I got feedback from someone that I was crazy that burned gas on it.

136405678_411087576975674_4448088120341236224_o.jpg 136472518_411088650308900_6016419751370593281_o.jpg

2. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

I really like my "T", love the sound, but I agree about roarer burners being better in a wind, I like them as they are easier to hear if they are still going.
    Duane

3. afoton

The flame is nicer looking and the sound is nicer on 111T. But as a camping stove the way I need it, the 111 is so much better in every other aspect. The most important is much cleaner burning, and better performance in more or less wind. Even inside a tent, the air is moving that much that 111 is performe better than 111T.
    I have almost an unused 111T. It is just as bad as I remeber them from the army. It is one of the very least liked stoves in my collection. So I can vear out several stoves (that means hundreds of years) before I have have to use it.
    Why I do not like gas in 111, is because of the nrv in the pump, and that is the same as in 111T, 111C and 111B. I would not use gas in any of them.

4. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

That comment is based on the functionality of the NRV. If the NRV fails with kerosene, not a big deal. If the NRV fails with gas, you might get a large flame out of the pump tube.

Yes, you can use gas in the standard 111. It is difficult to use kerosene in the 111B.

Ken

5. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Surprising that the "T" is so popular. Never had a issue with mine, first negative comment I have seen. I have even used mine in a snow storm with light snowfall.
    Duane

6. OptimusprimeNorway Norway

Then you may have been lucky and got one of those that works fine. I have bought and sold many of them, and about 1/3 have had problems with leaks.

I have sold many more of the regular 111, and it has always worked fine. If there is a problem with regular 111, it is most often that the graffiti gasket, cleaning needle, jet, or spindle is worn and needs to be replaced. That's probably the only thing 111 and 111T have in common. Now I'm thinking of the burner itself, not the tank.

I have never had problems with leaks from poor welding or other things on the regular roar burners.

That said, I have the Optimus 111T in the closet at home as well. My lady likes 111T best. I have kept the two best stoves myself, I also have an unused burner in spare. As a rarity, I also have a pair of Oprimus 111 Arctic cobras. It's almost the same as the 111T. It is a little higher, has a longer preheating tube with a bend, and the tube for the burner is a little thicker. They were produced exclusively for the Norwegian Armed Forces to replace old existing burners. According to the story, it was not a great success. But cool collectible.
    752_1050691849.jpg

7. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

I have all the 111's, just one variant I don't have and I believe it was just a special model that wasn't produced by Optimus. I think it is referred to as a 111E, like the Arctic model that has a unofficial model of 111D.
    Duane

8. snwcmpr

Never had a problem other than simple maintenance on any 111.

9. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    I have had about 6 Optimus 111s, kept 2, and have four more to fettle. Most of these did service in Antarctica. My 2 111Ts were also from Antarctic service. I’ve had no problems other than standard maintenance with them.

The roarer burner is much better for outdoor work, although a 10-panel aluminium windshield cures most of the wind problems with a 111T.

I only use kerosene in my 111s and 111Ts.

I suspect the 111T has been made popular partly through its presence on CCS. It’s also a better stove to use indoors because it’s quieter.

The only Optimus silent burner stove I’ve had significant problems with was my Optimus 199 here.

Tony

10. OptimusprimeNorway Norway

I'm not saying 111t is bad. Then no one had used it. I'm just saying it's not as flawless as the roar burner. It is also more sensitive to dirt, weather and wind. However, this can be easily fixed. It is worse when the burner leaks fuel. One thing that is repeated on many 111Ts is that they leak around the pipe in the middle of the burner. Here is a 111C, but many of the 111T have the same problem.

Optimus 111 melted burner joint

That said, the Optimus 111 is quality regardless of the type of burner. It must also be said that there are an incredible number of Optimus 111s in Norway. Norway is closest to Sweden, and the military has used 111 since 1950, and many have been sold after service. Many civilian editions have also been sold. Almost all Norwegians have or have had one in their house. Maybe it makes the error rate seem higher.

11. OptimusprimeNorway Norway

But it's just as scary to burn petrol on 111B?

12. snwcmpr

It is to me. Others feel differently. I use kerosene in mine, unless I have no choice.
    I like my eyebrows. :)

Ken

13. afoton

I have used several 111T (and some other silent burners, different swedes and one Phöebus 625), and none of them has burned so clean that I would use them indoors. The roarers burns cleaner, so for inddors usage, I prefer them, even if a quiter stove would be nice.

Yes, it is just as scary. Those that doesn't find it scary to burn petrol in 111B, will not find it scary to burn petrol in 111 (or other variants of 111).

14. OptimusprimeNorway Norway

Okay, I thought so. But why do people say that you can not burn gasoline on regular 111 when it is just as scary? The only thing I can think of is that regular 111 has more tubes than 111B since it is made to burn the kerosene which has a lower flash point. In the worst case, can it get too hot?

15. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi @OptimusprimeNorway Just for information regarding the burner tubes on an Op.111b:

From this old thread:

111 vs. 111B

I believe that the Op.111b burner has insufficient thermal feedback to sustain combustion with kerosene fuel. If anyone can provide a photo of an Op.111b on kerosene I would be interested to see it....

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

16. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

17. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Greetings, All,

I have "more than a few Optimus 111 stoves", of all stripes, and the 111T is just as dependable as the roarer burners, in my experience! I've also used quite a few 111B's without a single problem. If and when the pump rod slowly begins to rise, I shut off the stove, let it cool, replace the NRV, and fire it up again! Works a treat, just like ALL the 111 stoves!! I can't understand why some folks have problems with the "T", and "B" versions. I've been using them for decades, and nary a single problem. FWIW.

Doc

18. snwcmpr

I will speak for myself.
    I cannot always trust that I will be sitting there watching the pump rod rise. But, that's me.

Ken

19. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Only issue I have had was when received, the pip in the NRV needs replacing for the 3 "B"'s I have had.
    Duane

20. afoton

Even if it doesn't happen often, it is still dangerous when it happens.
    I will not burn petrol on a stove with this kind of pump in my tent, and I will not let anyone else do it in my tent.