WHY ???

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Dutchmike, Jul 15, 2021.

1. Dutchmike

It could very well be that most of our stoves are older than their owner. And thus a decades old past, of which we can only guess if not conclude what those stoves went trough all this time, judged by their outward appearance. But their are those 'finds', acquired or not, that makes one wonder why on earth some previous owner went through the (obvious) trouble to do what they did. `

. DSCN8108.JPG

It sort of defies any purpose, a result that can be inviting to ponder, if not straight bewildering.

DSCN0463.JPG

Here's a handfull of some details on stoves that crossed my path through the years and left me with puzzlement.

DSCN8106.JPG

No definite answers are wanted, but an invitation nevertheless to throw your 2 cents in!

DSCN8109.JPG

As a note to this last picture, IIRC an accesory set of fold-out legs was offered- likely in the twenties - for those owners who had a stove with small fixed 'feet' under the tank. Of course, they needed to be soldered underneath, but that process was more common then than it is now. But a hacksaw or similar made an end to that improvement. The question then is.....

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
  2. Jim Lukowski

Jim Lukowski United States Subscriber

No guesses on the why, but do believe some folks shouldn't be allowed anywhere near solder. This is my example. The stove turned out beautiful, but there was no reason whatsoever for the solder to be slopped on like it was.
    The friend who gave it to me thought it was a basket case, but I saw it as a diamond in the rough. At least these brassies are an extremely fun challenge.

Before:
    Optimus 1.jpg

I was satisfied when done. :)
    Optimus 10.jpg

I'd like to see the after pics of yours.

3. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

Some people just use things.

4. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

@Dutchmike Excellent topic Mike.

I believe I may have added a few conundrums to the stove pile for a future custodian to ponder on.

Not least this ‘Colemanized’ Optimus 22B that incorporates a Coleman check valve, locking check valve and shrouded check valve delivering pressurised air from the pump to the air space above the fuel - the best of Coleman’s safety features for a white gasoline stove.

5B6815E4-B3E5-4EB5-97C8-93073A7A5856.jpeg

66B606A1-04CB-4473-9C41-B6DBE8E1C604.jpeg

Today’s project was simpler.

On this 1/2-pint Parasene the pan ring is a scaled-down version of that on a 2-pint stove. Unfortunately, the clearance between pot base and pan ring has been correspondingly reduced, excessively so, hindering the escape of products of combustion and creating the characteristic smell associated with a stifled exhaust.

F4AE7344-42F4-4DF0-8C1F-82F10D536258.jpeg

Solution was to silbraze spacers on the trivet.

Before.

5F60A394-5A75-4CAE-97A4-B4F55167A24F.jpeg

After.

B0763B0E-AFFC-469D-8D73-FD76CF3140DD.jpeg

B2004CCD-0469-4746-A798-0DC692A3689A.jpeg

John

5. Duck United States

On your bottom pic, my guess would be one leg broke. Rather then fix it they cut all three off. Your off somewhere and you want to cook some lunch. You pull your stove out of the trunk(Boot) and the leg is broken. You don’t have a soldering iron but you do carry a hacksaw in your tool kit…. Bye bye legs.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
  6. janders

janders Subscriber

Thought I'd chip in with this - although it is a blowlamp. IMG_3626.JPG
    A pretty nice Primus 802 self pressurizing white gas blowlamp. But a previous owner wanted heat faster, so this happened to it...
    IMG_3629.JPG
    I just.... ](*,):rage:

7. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith Subscriber

Hmm - that reminds me - where is my blow-lamp tanked stovie thing in a frame? :-k

Now that's gotta be 'steampunk', these days - although it does work so that may exclude it from that category, being actually useful (to some extent, anyway...).

8. Jaime Massang

Jaime Massang Australia Subscriber

Exactly. (I'm gunna use this as my MO.)

9. Greeley

Greeley United States Subscriber

The firearms repair tech at a local store calls certain people "gun-plumbers."

Tom

10. Andrew

Not sure if I should be offended or not

11. Dutchmike

The various reactions sofar present adaptions or changes that can be reasoned, and thus understood. Perhaps it will present a biggger mystery a hundred years from now if the general knowledge about the technology is only to be found in libraries. Indeed, the elaborate and skillful changes to an Optimus 22B show purposeful work, and so is a bicycle valve adorning a blow lamp. A sort of 'method to madness' thing if you stretch things, but I for one could not figure out the point of the blue paint lavished on tools and stove parts for instance. Or the removal of the unique functioning wire clasp on the Sports case which takes considerable force to do so. Mind, if this thread invites members to present their own found curio even if the intention of adaptions are rather clear - like the bicycle adapter to attach a stove tank to a bicycle frame - so much the better., but the question 'WHY' could still be taken as a rethorical one.

12. ArchMc

ArchMc SotM Winner Subscriber

I put rattlecan blue stripes on some of my tools (shovels, screwdrivers, etc) that I use in work parties and such. That way I can easily identify MY tools at the end of the day.

The wire clasp may have been damaged, or removed to effect an emergency repair on something else. Quien sabe?

….Arch