Wind melted Trangia bases:any cases before gas aperture added?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by TRA_A, Oct 23, 2020.

1. TRA_A United Kingdom

Wind melted Trangia bases: any cases before gas aperture added?

I wondered if the adding of the aperture for the gas hose in late eighties made the base vulnerable to mountain grade wind direction reversals melting the base, as my original 27 base was always aimed out of wind with no problems?

2. Alcoholic Australia

No you are meant to aim the holes into the wind to keep positive pressure on the burner. Aiming the holes away from the wind can result in a reduction in atmospheric pressure around the burner, causing the alcohol to boil over and spill around the base, thereby melting it.

To be fair, a very rare occurrence and Trangia does say to orient the holes into the wind in their website. The problem occurs in very blustery conditions with strong wind changes, in which case providing some more wind protection is warranted.

Adding the gas hole just gives more opportunities to keep the pressure up to the burner if it’s facing the right way.

3. TRA_A United Kingdom

But surely by implication the gas aperturet does the opposite if facing the wrong way ie into wind.... Also its size compared to the small normal ventilation holes may also be a factor?

Mountain Wind changes direction.....the stove should cope as supplied. It appears the problem was mentioned after I got my first non UL TRANGIA with no gas aperture.....

I did tend to set the holes facing me / the tent, so I suppose was acting a little like a windbreak, except sometimes when used for lunch on mountain top...

The triangle has holes all round surely better to do that than expect people to keep rotating a lit stove. Adding an extra windshield surely undermines the whole allinone point of a trangia set..

4. Alcoholic Australia

It is what it is. AFAIK it is also exceptionally rare and only occurs when wind is swirling and changing direction very fast, as well as the wind speed itself being extreme. The type of wind that would blow the windscreen of a conventional stove away. Or make lighting and sorting a Caldera cone a real handful, to take just one example.

The fact that you haven’t had an issue despite facing it the wrong way all this time is only a testament to the robustness of the design.

This stuff happened before the gas aperture as well as since. As far as I can tell a better design might include holes all around to prevent a pressure drop regardless of where the wind was coming from but this would come at some loss of efficiency in normal conditions due to increased air flow through the system. How much I don’t know of course but I assume Trangia does.

It’s likely the large gas aperture has made the likelihood of a pressure drop like this even lower than it already was.

By the way, I imagine that if competing stove systems had as many units in service as Trangia has had, then we would be hearing more about rare flaws in their designs as well in similar conditions...

5. TRA_A United Kingdom

If holes were all round you could fit a neatwe internal wind screen/baffle to slow input wind speed? Maintaining all in oneness.

6. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

Other sorts of user error have always been capable of resulting in melted bases too, but would not always be easily diagnosed unless you actually witnessed the event or had some one fess-up later. I once witnessed a base melted on a campsite by a first time user who had put the burner on the ground under the hole in the base:doh: There was not a lot that could be done to rectify the problem when they came to ask for advice after the event](*,)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020