Wind shield ideas?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Volesworth, Sep 1, 2021.

1. Volesworth

Volesworth United Kingdom Subscriber

The wind always seems to be blowing in the UK!

When I'm using a pressure stove in my garden, which is exposed to the west, I always find I am having to improvise wind shields to keep the stove happy. In the dim and distant past I recall seeing things that looked like a four-sided metal box in which a Primus stove sat out of the wind. Indeed, I think that box with the other sides folded over may have also formed a carrying case. I have searched in vain to find such a thing for sale -- all I seem to come up with is little folding panels that are much too low for, say, a Primus No 5.

Also in the past I recall flat-sided "5 gallon" tins that various fluids came in, and I could imagine cutting sides off one of those to make an open sided box of about the right size. However, I don't see any tins like that now -- all presumably replaced with plastic.

I wonder how others solve this problem and would be grateful for any thoughts.

IMG_0927.jpg

2. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

3. Volesworth

@snwcmpr Many thanks for that!

4. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

5. Laitch

Laitch Subscriber

Aluminium foil from a roll—folded, folded, folded, then folded some more until it can stand on its own at the dimension I need, then its folded again to store in my pack. It doesn't seem to mind the exercise and there's more where it came from. :)

This one surrounds a SVEA 123 with a GSI pot on top of it.
    Summit break.jpg Summit break2.jpg

6. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

You’re thinking of tins packed by the biscuit manufacturer out of which a grocer would measure out, weigh and sell biscuits ‘loose’ to customers.

Abundant once, the only ones that turn up now have survived because they contained and acted as a windshield for a stove.

I use a windshield similar to the one snwcmp recommends. They have retractable spikes intended to poke in soft ground, not usable on a table top, when bracing it against the wind is necessary.

7. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

Or carbon felt. Both for lightweight applications.

The original question was for use in the garden.

8. itchy

I would never be able to find the thread but a member here had a nice sturdy windshield which was simply the 3-sided outer sheet metal housing of a defunct microwave oven. I did the same and it works great. It is not one you would carry around, but set up in your garden it might be just the ticket.

Take care if you disassemble a microwave oven as there is apparently a capacitor in there that can severely do some damage long after the oven has been disconnected from the current.

9. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    I have a stack of those 10-plate aluminium windshields like the ones @snwcmpr showed. I got them cheap on eBay. Just check the number of plates and the length (height) of the windscreen.

51EDA866-4E52-4CD9-92E5-033AF7BD5081.jpeg

F0FF96EB-63AA-4AEF-87B7-7EE0DF99F0B0.jpeg

DD7917AE-DD07-48D3-AD51-1D523F6E6065.jpeg

Cheers

Tony

10. ArcticStoves

Volesworth: I 2nd the comment on using carbon felt for windscreens pinched together with a bulldog grip paperclip. Another useful and much cheaper dodge, is to salvage the heavy gauge aluminum foil from delicatessen party trays called 'deli trays' in Canada. This can be cut and shaped with paramedic shears or aviation snips and is surprisingly durable.

Yes, there is always the wind!

11. Volesworth

Thank you everyone, for the great replies. You’ve given me much to think about.

@snwcmpr Thank you again. I’ve looked into getting one of the Solo screens you suggested, but so far the only one I could find is around £28 (USD$39), which is 100% more than the USA. I think I will leave that until I see one nearer to the USA cost of $19.

@kerophile Thank you for the links. Some of the boxes are exactly what I was thinking about. Overnight, I was thinking through getting some galvanised sheet metal, some angle brackets and pop-rivet to knock something up myself. The pictures in the links will certainly provide points to consider if I do that.

@Laitch Thank you - I had not thought of just foil, but I had also wondered about a wooden construction lined with aluminium foil or the carbon felt mentioned (I had not heard of that before). Being wooden might pose the obvious problem but as this is for outdoor use, I hope in the unlikely event I would smell burning wood and deal with it before it caused a problem. Nice mountain top photos - I bet that cup of tea tasted good!

@presscall Thank you - yes, I am of an age to remember those sorts of tins/bins. All sorts of stuff scooped out on to a balance (with weights) and then poured into a brown paper bag!

@itchy Thank you. That is a great idea. I have stripped defunct microwaves of useful bits before and I know exactly what you mean. If things go to plan I should have one of these in a couple of months. I find that the Panasonic microwaves I have all seem to fail quite predictably a few months after the 2-year warranty runs out, and by that measure, the current one is just about due to pack up! :)

@Tony Press Thanks for that. I’ve looked at eBay, but all the ones I see seem quite small (low), none taller that around 12cm, but maybe I’m looking in the wrong place. I like the idea of also using a shield around a Tilley lamp when lighting it. Much better than trying to hold my hands around it as I have done many times!

@ArcticStoves Thank you - I know the trays you mean. I have not seen one since I retired but they used to accumulate in the kitchen at work. Platters of sandwiches would arrive on them and someone clearly thought they were too good to throw away, but did not have another use for them. I will also look into the carbon felt you mention — that’s completely new to me, so thank you again!

The other thing I have learnt from the replies is the idea of having a windshield (tin can) around the burner of a pressure stove. I'd made such a thing to use to protect the meths flame when lighting the stove, but I had never thought of leaving it on when cooking. I have learnt so much here!!!

12. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    You’re looking in the wrong place. Type, “aluminium windscreen”. The first hit I got, was 24cm high and 84cm long, weighing in at 250g, at the cost of AUD $15.80.

Cheers

Tony

13. Dean

Dean United Kingdom Subscriber

Working (loosely) in the construction industry, I occasionally pick up old roofing slates and now have a little stash of them. Setting three of them on end in U formation makes a great shield for garden use (not so good on the trail!).
    Slates tend to be 60 x 30 or thereabouts and often come pre-holed for nailing. Slates can be zip tied together through the holes, to hold it all together; they come in different thicknesses too and can be cut down in height as may be required. Advantages, cheap, natural, adaptable and very wind-proof.

14. Volesworth

Ah ha! Yes, and only £6.59 including p&p. I'll give it a try! Many thanks.

15. Volesworth

A nice idea. I don't have anything like that. I have some roof tiles but they are tiny by comparison (about 20 x 30), but I get the idea. Many thanks.

16. A A C

A A C Norway Subscriber

I smiled at this . Ifyou look at my avatar , my barechested Uncle Andy is demonstrating the «Jacobs Cream Crackers Tin» type of windshield !

17. trebor

If I should use something in my garden i would go easy. A homemade bucket like This

18. redspeedster

redspeedster United Kingdom Subscriber

19. Volesworth

Thanks yes. Exactly the thing. [Makes mental note to look for a large Panettone tin! :) ]

20. Volesworth

Thanks.

Thanks - yet another idea I would never have thought of!