Wrench For Larger Jets?

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by DAVE GIBSON, Oct 10, 2013.

1. DAVE GIBSON

DAVE GIBSON Subscriber

i have looked around but not found a source for a articulated wrench for the larger stove jets?
    i have one that fits the small ones found on the 71 and 123 type burners but not the 111's.
    i did see one of Ebay but it would only work on silence burners where you can remove the caps and have direct access to the jet.the little wrench that comes attached to the 111's box is worthless.

2. Rick b

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  3. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

I find the little wrench that clips in the lid of the 111 works pretty well to be honest.

There's a subtlety to its use, slipping the ring 'end' over the jet and gaining extra fractions of a degree movement to tighten (or release) the jet by sliding the jet up or down the elongated slot of the ring. I assume that's what Optimus had in mind for that 'stretched' ring on the wrench. Flipping the wrench over and re-locating it is part of the action too to apply torque in the limited arcs of movement possible between the burner tubes.

John

4. parramethtrol

parramethtrol Subscriber

Hi Dave
    they do exist but i don't know where to find another.

1280266420-DSCF0910.JPG

5. parramethtrol

parramethtrol Subscriber

Hi Rick
    did you mean #2563?

6. Rick b

Hey Bill. Not sure Base camp only lists an "R".
    How are you?

Looking back I found this one.
    2560 Jointed key for jets 2500/2/3, 00, 1, 2, 5, 510/45

I picked up the monitor spares kit from base camp quite a while ago-good price

Original Monitor full spares kit, 2 x jet, 4 x pricker, 1 x pump washer, 3 x burner, 3 x lid washers and jointed nipple key, suit 2 pint stoves.

7. parramethtrol

parramethtrol Subscriber

Hi again Rick
    i'm good, not been doing much stoving of late, more building and repairing my bikes,
    only 6 months left and my youngest is no longer my legal responsibility, and i'll be officially old free and single YAY :D/ :lol:
    lock up your grannies billy (the old) boy is on the loose [-o< :lol:

atb Bill

8. Rick b

Good to hear Bill, great to see you from time to time here on CCS. Not single, but, it is nice to be able to visit with the kids and not have the drama as when they were younger. :whistle:

9. DAVE GIBSON

DAVE GIBSON Subscriber

i think i'll get a small wrench on this side of the pond to save on shipping and file it out to the right size.it might only get used a few times a year.

10. DAVE GIBSON

DAVE GIBSON Subscriber

presscall..the only way i can see that little wrench that comes with the stove being used is by a desperate climber in a tent,clinging to a ledge,in a storm,by candle light---

11. threedots New Zealand

I have a tool similar to what parramethtrol shows(only shorter) but I have found it good for winding in the jet quicker but not so good for tightening it up to get a good seal. I use the small wrench to do that.
    The confined space available between the vaporizer tubes, the flame ring carrier and the upper vapor chamber on self pricking roarer burners doesn't allow enough room to position the universal jet tool joint at an ideal angle so that the handle can be turned to get good pressure on the jet.
    Maybe it is just the tool I have having a shorter shank. John

12. parramethtrol

parramethtrol Subscriber

Hi John (threedots)
    mine is much the same, i find it much easier to get the jet threaded into the burner (bit of tin foil/fag paper to get the jet tight in the tool)
    and wind it down, but i use the ickle spanner to nip the jet tight or loosen it the first bit, mainly paranoia as i don't want to risk over stressing the joints on the tool
    it's doable with the spanner on it's own, but i'm as dexterous/handy as blind chimp so it saves me ages

13. parramethtrol

parramethtrol Subscriber

just a thought

we have some bright and clever people on here, if anyone has the skills to fabricate these they'd be on a winner, if anyone can, i'd be willing to lend them mine as a pattern (long as it comes back)

atb Bill

14. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Dave Gibson said

Or, me seated in my comfy chair, in my shed (possibly during a storm, granted) by the light and warmth of a Tilley Guardsman.

15. threedots New Zealand

Hello parramethtrol . It looks like you and I suffer from the same paranoia as to possibly damaging the universal joint of the tool.

I have looked at the tool and wonder if making the shank a smaller diameter(particularly where it comes into contact with the top of the burner) would help. The metal would have to be stronger though to be able to still take the twisting forces. Cheers, John

16. webster

webster Subscriber

I'm also interested in such a jointed tool.
    With my 111 I have the problem that i can't unscrew the jet with the small wrench.
    There's just too much wiggling room between the jet and the wrench.
    I can't move the jet at all. :rage:

greets
    Simon