Xylene

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by davidcolter, Mar 30, 2011.

1. davidcolter

I have just taken delivery of a small bottle of Xylene. With this I will test Flivver's assertion that you can unstick a Coleman check valve with lacquer thinner.

I have a 400A and a 502 that both need the treatment. I will let it sit overnight in the bottom of the pump tube and I will be keeping it well away from the paint!

2. techie

I have had middling luck with various solvents, hot soapy water etc. I haven't tried xylene though, I'll be interested in how it goes.

I finally broke down and bought the check valve tool from a member of the Coleman forum and am really glad I did. Now a stuck check valve gets popped out, a few minutes in the ultrasonic, and back in no problem.

You can use a large screwdriver, but at some risk of stripping the slot in the soft brass checkvalve.

chkvalve2.jpg

3. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith Subscriber

And your lungs, please... :whistle:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  4. techie

Did it work?

5. davidcolter

Dunno yet, its still stewing in the shed and I'm just back from the pub, so its best left until the morning I think.

6. Sparky

That Coleman Check-Valve tool is worth it's weight in...uh.....brass? Gold? I need one like that for the classic NRV's too but getting them here from the UK costs more than the tool!

7. davidcolter

After 36 hours, total failure. I will buy an extractor tool :)

8. magikbus

Xylene is totally banned up here now. I remember polishing some black marker off desks with it and it dissolved my rubber gloves. The fumes took the colour out of my pants, and I was coughing for weeks. Nasty Nasty stuff.
    Stan

9. Lance

Zylene is a paint thinner for a special kind of paint. NOT to be confuesed as regular paint thinner or as laquere thinner which is a totally different prodect. And it should not be used in place of the proper thinner for these products.

lance

10. bajabum

bajabum R.I.P.

Just as an interesting tidbit, Xylene is the premier cleaner for tape recorder heads, bar none!!!

11. Wim

Wim Subscriber

I used aftershave for cleaning these! Every Xmas I got some but had no use for it :whistle: ;) so it came in handy to clean those recorder heads :D/ .

Regards,

Wim

12. bajabum

bajabum R.I.P.

Aftershave is just alcohol, which does a pretty good job on dusty heads, but doesn't touch the really dirty ones, IE: burned oxide, melted tape etc.

Tapes can get hot at 240 inches per second!

I've cleaned Laboratory Grade instrumentation recorder heads daily for 30+ years, and xylene is the best!
    It's considered slightly toxic nowadays tho, have to wear gloves now... :roll: :whistle: :whistle:

13. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy R.I.P.

I have to agree with Lance on his quote. Painter thinner is not the same as lacquer thinner. Toluene seems to be the main ingredient in Lacquer thinners. Paint thinners are made up of many different kinds of chemicals, one of them being Xylene. Here are some descriptions are gathered:

Lacquer Thinner is usually a mixture of solvents able to dissolve a number of different resins or plastics used in modern Lacquer. Traditional Lacquerware is not based on solvent-dissolved resins at all.

Shellac is a lacquer with an alcohol as solvent. Twentieth-century lacquer thinners frequently contained alkyl esters like butyl or amyl acetate, ketones like acetone or methyl ethyl ketone, aromatic hydrocarbons like toluene, ethers such as gylcol cellosolves, and or alcohols.

A paint thinner is a solvent used to thin oil-based paints. (All such solvents have other uses.)

Commercially, "paint thinner" is usually a name for mineral spirits. Other solvents used to thin paint include:

* Acetone
    * Mineral turpentine (turps)
    * True turpentine
    * Naphtha
    * Toluene
    * White spirit
    * Xylene
    * Methyl ethyl ketone (MEK)
    * Dimethylformamide (DMF)

Xylene or xylol is a mixture of three structural isomers of the aromatic hydrocarbon dimethylbenzene. Xylene is a clear, colorless, sweet-smelling liquid that is very flammable. It is usually refined from crude oil in a process called alkylation. It is also produced as a by-product from coal carbonisation derived from coke ovens, extracted from crude benzole from gas, or by dehydrocyclodimerization and methylating of toluene and benzene.[1] It is also manufactured from reformate.

Xylene is used as a solvent in the printing (Xylene is commonly found in ink), rubber, and leather industries.

Here is a quote from Doc Mark, quoting flivver:

flivver Said:

Based on the above, Flivver mentions lacquer thinner and not anything else. As a matter of fact, he lists some things that are a waste of time, specifically, paint thinner and acetone were mentioned. I'm not sure Flivver has ever mentioned Xylene in any of his posts. Using the search on CCS has not revealed this association. In my opinion, Xylene is not the same as Lacquer Thinner. So, there may be a good chance that Xylene would not work at all on Coleman check valves, but the evidence does support Lacquer Thinner being able to work.

Just trying to sort this out.

sam