Yellow flame on Coleman 424 at low heat setting

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by rogerzilla, Oct 7, 2012.

1. rogerzilla

I've just rebuilt an eBay Coleman 424 suitcase stove. It runs well, with no yellow flame at the burner even during startup, but if I try and turn the main burner down to a low simmer I get a yellow flame coming back out of the manifold. Is this normal due to the low velocity through the jet, or does it indicate a gunky generator? I have ordered a new one but for the time being I've cleaned out the old one as best I can.

This isn't due to fuel leakage past the jet threads - I've fixed that. This is only there at simmer.

2. DAVE GIBSON

DAVE GIBSON Subscriber

those Colemans,i have at least six,run so well even after lots of wear and tear that it has to be gunk in the generator.without a good blast of fuel running thru it at a simmer setting any tiny bit of a deposit would screw up the air-fuel mix
    i belong to the "let it run" school of stove repair,auto carb cleaner in the stove fuel and fire the stove up and run the thing until i get a blue flame..if that fails then buy parts..

3. bajabum

bajabum R.I.P.

You might also run a pipe cleaner thru the manifold, you may have some cobwebs in there...

4. rogerzilla

The manifold should be clear - it's been washed in hot soapy water and blasted through with a hosepipe (and quickly dried in the oven to avoid rust). I suspect it's just the generator. The previous owner was running it on unleaded petrol.

5. bajabum

bajabum R.I.P.

Water will not dislodge spider webs, they are very strong. Only physical methods will work.
    YMMV...

6. itchy

Before you replace the generator, try cleaning the one on the stove. I had a Coleman where the generator was so clogged fuel would not even flow through it. After a good cleaning it works great. On the other hand given the time it took to clean it, and assuming minimum wage, cleaning it cost 3x what a new one would have cost.

7. rogerzilla

It was the generator. Runs sweet as a nut with the new one, and will turn down to the tiniest simmer. These are marvellous stoves, aren't they? The clever fuel/air tube makes all the difference when starting up - not like a single burner stove, where you light and stand back!