Yellow Flame with Ethyl Alcohol

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by LuKas, Jul 18, 2012.

1. LuKas

Hi everybody!

I have an old Prabath Stove at home and thought, it would be funny if I could run it with ethanol instead of kerosene.
    So I stuffed the Burner-Coil with glass wool, to limit the fuel supply and expand the jet (I tried it with the kerosene jet -> too much pressure).
    And now I tried it, but the problem is that the flame is very big (like an not well-preheated kerosene stove) with yellow ends.
    Maybe the jet is too big?

Is there anybody who could help me, maybe tried the same?

Thank you, guys.

regards,
    Lukas

The Stove:
    The Stove (Its a roarer burner)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

The hierarchy for jet sizes usually goes kero (smallest), white gas (larger), alcohol (largest) so I'd say that too large a jet isn't the issue, although I don't understand what you mean by having 'expanded' the jet. Do you mean you've drilled it out, in which case you've maybe created too large a jet hole now, as you suggest?

Maybe your alcohol fuel is burning yellow because it's absorbed residual kerosene, in which case it might burn blue after a couple more refills.

A safety issue with a non-regulated burner such as on that Prabath is the release of flammable vapour and possible ignition when you open the air valve to shut the stove down. Kerosene's not so volatile and doesn't usually release kerosene vapour when the air valve's opened - unless the fuel tank's got too hot as a result of radiant heat from too big a pot base.

John

3. LuKas

Hi John,

I tried it with a Silent Burner and it works!
    I've made a metal tube that fits in the burner (to decrease the air supply), I read this in the pelam-forum.
    But the boiling-time for 1L water is more than 10 minutes...
    So I think I am going to remain with kerosene :)

Lukas