Yet again, it's been a VERY long time, Another auction haul...

Discussion in 'South Africa' started by It'l Dodat, Dec 1, 2020.

1. It'l Dodat

Since last I have managed to garner for my collection: -

3 unused 90G Gaz cannisters for my increasing Globetrotter collection

1 pristine Globetrotter--- Brings my collection up to 3

another Trangia complete with kettle, whic I have self converted to: -
    Gas fired VIA remote cannister (hijacked a Fire-maple Spider remote cannister burner for that,
    Esbit type solid fuel tablets

I want to be able to use organic fuel, but as aliminium melts at 600 Deg C and a wood fire can be anywhere between 900 & 350 Deg C (depending on where you measure) I'm not so keen.... Perhaps somebody can give me input?

Hydrocarbins, are a problem as we don't have the luxury of anything in the way of options ETC here in SA

And to add to my hiking chapter of my collection this gorgous baby, unfired never even fuelled....
    Multi fuel SVEA pack stove.jpg

Also, as part of my Military chapter I got this: -

stove army parrafine 1.jpg

The indent in the fuel tank is intentional, when folded closed it creates a space for the burner. The brass cannister is for the spares, but it rotates round on its fastening rivet, and I'm not shure how to get the top off...

I've also managed to adopt 2 other stoves for my military chapter

one a gas unit,
    two a WW II petrol field stove

I'll do a seperate seperate post regarding those gems later...

Attached Files:

2. Alcoholic Australia

Nice stoves!

Not sure about the question regarding using open fires but there is no problem using aluminium over an open fire, if you're careful - particularly for boiling. The high thermal conductivity means the temperature of the aluminium won't exceed the temperature of whatever is inside it. If frying etc then just keep the pan a reasonable distance from the fire.

If the question is whether you can sit a Trangia windscreen over an open fire, then the answer is a definite no - the windscreen will melt quickly. The solution is to either just build a normal fire and hang a Trangia billy pot over it, using the bail or a pot rest or just buy a gasifier wood stove in stainless or titanium and sit your Trangia pans on that. Among other solutions of course - if weight is not an issue then a Zebra stainless billy pot gets good reviews if you use a pot rest or hanging solution over your fire.

Keep in mind that alcohol is an organic fuel as well so you could just revert your Trangia back to alcohol burning and enjoy the serenity of your surroundings in the process... I find that the most convenient solution but I also know how to speed up the first firing of a Trangia burner (place a lighter or match under it for a bit - or use their winter attachment). And our "methylated spirits" is very good quality and not exorbitantly priced, compared to other options.

3. It'l Dodat

Nice stoves!

Not sure about the question regarding using open fires but there is no problem using aluminium over an open fire, if you're careful - particularly for boiling. The high thermal conductivity means the temperature of the aluminium won't exceed the temperature of whatever is inside it. If frying etc then just keep the pan a reasonable distance from the fire.

If the question is whether you can sit a Trangia windscreen over an open fire, then the answer is a definite no - the windscreen will melt quickly. The solution is to either just build a normal fire and hang a Trangia billy pot over it, using the bail or a pot rest or just buy a gasifier wood stove in stainless or titanium and sit your Trangia pans on that. Among other solutions of course - if weight is not an issue then a Zebra stainless billy pot gets good reviews if you use a pot rest or hanging solution over your fire.

Keep in mind that alcohol is an organic fuel as well so you could just revert your Trangia back to alcohol burning and enjoy the serenity of your surroundings in the process... I find that the most convenient solution but I also know how to speed up the first firing of a Trangia burner (place a lighter or match under it for a bit - or use their winter attachment). And our "methylated spirits" is very good quality and not exorbitantly priced, compared to other options.

Hi Alcoholic...

Your post is most helpful... But carries the death-sentence for my “project”. Yes I envisioned putting the base & the windshield over the coals, but was worried about the temperature. As you know aluminium alloys can withstand hotter, but I was not sure that the base & wind-shield where from an alloy or plain Aluminium....

This “project” I cooked up was: - to use the Tranny with any of the types of fuel (implied- switch between them) : -

Spirits / gas / hydrocarbon – (Paraffin – what you call kerosene / petrol), organic fuel, EG wood / briquettes or charcoal & Esbitt type solid fuel tablets.

Not that I have need to do so, it’s just a project.....

So far, I’ve managed: - Gas & remote canister, Esbitt solid fuel tablets, and of course spirits....

But those are the simple ones....

The tricky ones are hydrocarbons & organic.....

I would need a multi-fuel burner for the hydrocarbons, bear in mind, there are no spares, parts or accessories available here, and anything is either self made or imported. With our lower than junk status currency.............................

And seems organic is out.....

Perhaps I’ll have to live with re-defining my project objective.. As many fuel types as possible......

Below are pics of the solid fuel and how I modded the Tranny to gas using a Chinese Fire-Maple spider remote canister burner... The "locating pin" sits in a small notch on the side of the centre hole, the other two clip over the horisontal section and it holds just fine.

The last two pictures are of the spirit bloom, the one on the left is from my older one and the one on the right is from this one... Strange that they are so different, even after cleaning. Trangia told me that this unit is 1980 but not before 1983. The other one is much older, probibly from the 60's

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020