Yet another Homestrand Mariner with SVEA kero burners!

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by Doc Mark, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Greetings, All,

At Thanksgiving, we were down in San Diego to enjoy some time with our Mom's, and siblings. As it usually does, my birthday was just a day before our special day of Thanks! I'm now 68 years young, and loving it!

A few days later, the girls had somethings the wanted to do, so I took myself to "that same old swap meet", where quite literally many hundreds of my stoves had been found, to see if anything fun came to hand. And, true to form, two stoves raised their little burners, and called out, "Please buy us, as we are tired of not being able to do what it was we were born to do"!! Note that I found each of these stoves in the offerings of different sellers. And, I also found a nice Manfrotto tripod. Each buy had taken a bit of negotiation on the prices, but in the end, I did very well. On to the stoves:

I already posted a thread on the first stove I found, an American Gas Machine Model 2422, and you can check that out, here:

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/american-gas-machine-model-2422-1945-1946.36848/#post-380771

The second stove was another Homestrand Mariner, and as luck would have it, this stove was one of the versions that had those wonderful SVEA Model 1915 burners, which can change back and forth between Meths, and kerosene!! Though missing the inner and outer caps, and the Spirit restricters, the burners are otherwise complete, and one of them has it's lighting device still insitu.
    The stove is also missing it's pump rod, but interestingly, still has the pump bucket down in the pump tube. I'm sure I have a spare pump rod, so this should not be a real problem. It's also missing it's drip pan, but I know I have a spare one down in the Hobbit Hole, so that, too, will be easily remedied.

The seller was offering this stove for the sum of $47, which is too high, IMHO. But, after I told him about the missing parts, and how hard it was to source same, he asked me what I would pay, and I told him that the stove, as it sat, was worth $15 to me, which he considered only briefly, then stuck out his hand and said, "We have a deal"! Most of my other Homestrand stoves of this model, are the plain aluminum-cased models, so this will be my first "golden" cased version. Truthfully, I bought this stove for the burners, and am very happy to have done so.

Here's the Homestrand Mariner, which is very clean and in very nice condition, overall:

1.jpg
    2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg
    5.jpg

6.jpg

And, a peek at the lighting device that is still where it is supposed to be. I may have a spare, or two, down in the HH, but can't recall for sure.

7.jpg

So there you have it, Friends! I've long considered these SVEA 1915 burners to be amongst the best that you can find, and have happily used them for many, many years!! They are great to harvest from stoves just like this, and use for various interesting projects that we all like to enjoy!! Once again, "that same old swap meet" came through in spades, and delivered two interesting and worthwhile stoves!! Like I always said, "The more you HUNT, the more you will FIND!!!" Thanks for perusing these two newbies to our home, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

2. teckguy_58

teckguy_58 United States Subscriber

3. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hey, Norman,

Many thanks, my friend. I am pretty sure I have a few down in the HH, but will look for them when time permits. I rather like the locking pump setup that these old stoves have. Hope all is well with you and yours, and hey, Merry Christmas!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Mark

4. MrAlexxx

MrAlexxx Subscriber

Nice score!

5. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Nice project. I managed after a few years to locate 1915 burners then the correct caps here and there. Thought I bought a stove to put them in, but it was a Homestrand that had original burners that were not ones where you could swap them out for the 1915's, so all I can say is I have two 1915's.
    Duane

6. Canuman

Canuman Subscriber

I have an alky parts stove for that, as well as a really nice pressure tank. I've lost interest in alcohol burners. Might as well have fuel that does something. Congratulations, that makes me envious.