Zip Industries - New Zealand - 2 burner camp stove

Discussion in 'Other Countries' started by geeves, Oct 21, 2012.

1. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

My latest attempt to feed my addiction.

Its labelled as a Zip camp stove but it as near as identical to the Kampcook stoves shown in
    https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/10671
    and
    https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/10675
    apart from a Kermit green paint and a generator that is a straight narrow tube not the wide tube shown on the Kampcooks. Also the tank is clear lacquered brass. I'm tempted to suggest it was marketed in Australia or New Zealand as Zip is a major brand here of water heater and domestic gas products but don't know. Either way it will, I'm sure, be a re-branded Kampcook.

Would have run straight out of the box but I didn't like the look of the o ring on the pump/filler tube so replaced it. Didn't even have to put fuel in despite it having arrived by air mail.

1350801472-zip2burner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  2. Big BTU

Big BTU Subscriber

Hi Geeves,

This is a really nice two burner. It looks to have a standard white gas/Coleman generator on it. The wide generators are to burn auto/white gas. I think this is nicer than most of the Kamp Kooks I have seen because of the brass tank.

Looks like a keeper. :thumbup: I love the older two burner suitcase stoves, nothing built as well that runs as easily nowdays. What kind of latch does it have to keep it closed?

3. yonadav

yonadav Subscriber

Is white spirit another name for kero or white gasoline, or does the thing really burn alcohol?

4. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

"White spirit" should be eliminated as a fuel name! It is endlessly confusing....

It was interesting many years back how "petrol" became our universal word for gasoline, and "kero" and "kerosene" mostly displaced "paraffin". The Brits got one and the Yanks got one, sort of.....

"Gas", the universal US term for gasoline was of course hopelessly confusing on a stove site.

5. geeves

white spirit think coleman fuel or similar

Catch is a spring clip on the bottom section that goes round the base of the handle pluss a hook that is attached to the handle so that it holds the bottom while carrying.

6. nzmike

Score! I've got an orphan green (original colour, fairly sure) tank/pump/valves/genny unit if you want it. I picked it up.....someplace to do.....something.....with it, but what ever it was, I've forgotten.....slip me a pm if you are half interested.

7. geeves

Obviously no-one knows the history or source of these stoves.

8. Ian nz

Hello, I recently bought one of these stoves at a secondhand shop in Wellington. Above the Zip sticker on the top lid there is another sticker that states, Manufactured by Zip Industries Ltd, Lower Hutt. Has serial No, CS 2697. NZ used to do quite a bit of manufacturing but most of that went out the window in the 80's. It isn't running too well at the moment, keeps going out At the same shop I came across a Coleman 530. The guy behind the counter said he couldn't guarantee it and that it was a bit battered. It looked OK to me and a guarantee was the last thing I expected so I took it home and it fired up beautifully.

9. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

Welcome to CCS!

Many thanks for the update. I'll edit the title & move to the relevant section.

10. geeves

Hi Ian
    Are you in Wellington?
    Might be able to try a few tempory part swaps to find out what yours needs to fix

11. Campbell Fairweather

Hi,

What shop are you getting these from?

12. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @yonadav

In New Zealand white spirit = Coleman fuel... but that does not apply elsewhere in the world (even in Australia, it's next door neighbour).

Cheers

Tony

13. Funfundfunfzig

Great stove Bro! Brass is class!

14. geeves

Trademe

15. Garth

I've just got myself one of these with instructions too it runs very well even though its a bit temperamental to light up.

WP_20180406_14_56_39_Pro.jpg

WP_20180406_14_56_45_Pro.jpg

WP_20180406_14_59_12_Pro.jpg

WP_20180406_14_59_12_Pro.jpg

WP_20180406_15_21_48_Pro.jpg

16. Garth

I,m thinking that tank may be an original design though ,I've not seen one like it in brass most American stoves seem to favour steel tanks