Svea No. 105, 1950, brass.

Discussion in 'Svea No:105' started by SMolson, Jul 31, 2013.

1. SMolson

SMolson Subscriber

A Svea No. 105 from 1950, graciously provided by Glyn Stacey and his family. All stoves have a history, sadly most are lost to time or are never known by their new owner. Fortunately this one does not fit into that category. She’s been owned and enjoyed by her original family since initially purchased. I feel it's always important to know as much as possible about a stove's past. It helps bring an added perspective and dimension to the item; helps ground its importance and brings human elements into play. Stoves, like everything manufactured or worked, are nothing without the human factor. In the end they are there to help focus the true importance of anything cherished – life and memories.

This stove was purchased in 1950 by Glyn's father Graham Stacey, from the Malvern Hills area, England. It was for use in their very basic cottage as a backup to cooking when their electricity would fail (which it often did). Graham was very familiar with paraffin stoves and lamps. He grew up in the Middle-East as his father was stationed in Egypt, Iran and Iraq working for the British Army. When Graham was back in England and had his own family, he would frighten them to death whenever he got the 105 singing. Her first firing though was along the west coast of Scotland and Skye. A trip filled with fond memories of rain, midges and laughter shared by the family. The Stacey family continues to vacation there to this day, keeping the traditions of his father alive and well.

The Svea stoves are amongst the most beautiful made with almost all their parts showing intricate engravings. The Svea 105 came with all her original parts as shown below. There was no spanner, pricker, draughtshield or tin. She was in excellent used condition, all I did was clean and polish most of her parts. Both gaskets on the fuel and center fount caps were still pliable and held pressure. No leaks with the non-return valve (NRV) when tested. Only her pump leather needed to replaced, original had ripped (stuck to inside of pump tube) and her jet cleaned (a bit of carbon build-up generated underburning).

1375301050-IMG_4492_Svea_105_opt.jpg

Lightly sanded her pan rim to remove some surface rust (original color was gold). Labelled ‘SVEA’ x 2 and ‘SWEDEN’ with 3 x Crown logos separating text on her outer rim.
    1375301064-IMG_4489_Svea_105_opt.jpg

Stove ready for packing.
    1375301080-IMG_4466_Svea_105_opt.jpg

Markings on the bottom of her fuel tank: ‘MADE IN SWEDEN’. Typical flared out Svea feet.
    1375301096-IMG_4499_Svea_105_opt.jpg

On her side, showing the discus shape of her fuel tank.
    The top of the pump handle unscrews and becomes the stoves center fount cap for packing.
    1375301106-IMG_4501_Svea_105_opt.jpg

Pump cap labeled ‘SIEVERT MADE IN SWEDEN’. Fount cap unscrewed, showing the threads on the remainder of the pump knob.
    1375301123-IMG_4474_Svea_105_opt.jpg

Fuel cap labeled ‘SVEA MADE IN SWEDEN’, no markings on vent screw but both with knurling.
    1375301146-IMG_0881_Svea_105_opt.jpg

Fount markings: ‘SVEA No 105’
    1375301169-IMG_4468_Svea_105_opt.jpg

‘THE KING OF STOVES’ with the Svea coat of arms.
    1375301179-IMG_4470_Svea_105_opt.jpg

Arabic script.
    1375301188-IMG_4467_Svea_105_opt.jpg

Top view, one of her legs removed to show the center, inner raised graphics around the burner hole. ‘MADE IN SWEDEN’, star graphic and more Arabic script
    1375301199-IMG_4507_Svea_105_opt.jpg

Inner cap with stamping ‘SWEDEN 847 SVEA’
    1375301212-IMG_4483_Svea_105_opt.jpg

Brass outer cap marked ‘SVEA 1239 MADE IN SWEDEN’.
    1375301222-IMG_4484_Svea_105_opt.jpg

Burner, upside down, showing the stamping on her spirit cup’s underside: ‘SVEA MADE IN SWEDEN’
    1375301242-IMG_4479_Svea_105_opt.jpg

Top inner center ring of silent burner with stamping: ‘MADE IN SWEDEN SVEA 815’ and some Arabic writing.
    1375301256-IMG_4480_Svea_105_opt.jpg

Priming stove with spirit (it was a near-windless day, no draughtshield needed)
    1375301275-IMG_0773_Svea_105_opt.jpg

Alight and early burning.
    1375301297-IMG_0805_Svea_105_opt.jpg

Night shot showing her now cherry-red brass silent burner.
    1375301315-IMG_08555_Svea_105_opt.jpg

Boiling up the kettle for tea.
    1375301332-IMG_08365_Svea_105_opt.jpg

Long exposure (8 seconds) showing the strong singing flame and heat signature.
    1375301346-IMG_08335_Svea_105_opt.jpg

The Svea No. 105 is a beautiful stove that functions very well and outputs a lot of heat. Mr. Glyn had great tastes when he opted to purchase this manufacturer and model. She will continue to be a user stove for this family, building on her life and adventures. I look forward to her first canoe trip, cooking up some char and performing well in the Canadian backcountry.

I have made a draught-shield/burner pre-heater for her (from Friskies can + spray-painted matt black) plus a dedicated pricker. The spanner used will be an adjustable wrench so all she needs is a durable travel case, which should arrive shortly (aluminum nesting kit).

This marks the 10th Svea 105 posted in the 'Other Model' category for Max Seivert models. Hopefully they get their own directory/sub-forum heading shortly (Ross - you can delete this last paragraph once the Category is created!).

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. SMolson

SMolson Subscriber

Her dedicated Friskies can draughtshield, spray-painted matt black to help protect it and look sharp.

1375666493-IMG_4623_draughtshield_opt.jpg

If you don't paint these cans, they discolor quickly, plating will flake off and rust will form in short order.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  3. NW Lady

I just got a very pretty svea 105 today. I am VERY new to all this.

I think one of the washers you replaced was the washer between the tank and the vaporizer. I am thinking maybe I should do the same. I looked at the picture of that area. Is that a picture after you removed the washer and before replacing it? The reason I ask is that as I look at mine it seems ....well... more filled in. light to medium grey. Would this be the existing lead washer? I kinda gently picked at my washer with a dental tool. seemed like it I would only be able to scrape off very fine fragments and not get the whole washer out. How did you remove your washer? was it lead or rubber?

This stove does have a leak from the top when the little cap is on and from the NRV so I am getting a tool to remove that and see whats going on there.

Mine has a rubber cup on the pump and I think I would like to replace it with a leather cup. Did you take off the nut at the bottom of the shaft or replace the cup from the top?

This stove will be my 1st "fettle". So I am very excited to learn and do this....but know so little! DSC_6295.JPG I really appreciate this thread.
    Thank you. Here is a pic of my washer. Any help would be much appreciated.

4. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @NW Lady

What I see in your picture is the lead washer. Don't replace it unless you get a leak from there. When you put the burner riser on the tank, tighten hand tight (don't twist the burner), then use a correct sized spanner to nip the riser nut tight to the tank - tighten gently and don't force it.

It is usual to take the nut off the bottom of the shaft to replace the pump cup but sometimes they are cross-threaded and forced on. I would switch to a leather cup.

When you say "a leak from the top" where is that exactly?

Cheers

Tony

5. NW Lady

DSC_6274.JPG NRV svea 105.JPG

Thank you, Tony for the info on the lead washer and how to attach the burner assembly. ie.. don't twist the burner... get a wrench and only tighten that way.

I had a leak at the top of the tank when the vaporizer was off and the font cap was screwed onto the top of the tank. From posts, I read, that little nut still has perhaps the original washer... black with white lettering "S". I plan on replacing the washer. I haven't tried to leak test this lead washer and the vaporizer yet.

I know I have an NRV leak so trying to solve that. Getting a NRV tool sent... ordering a lead washer. ,,,but kinda confusing since I don't know what kind of NRV this has. Saw a post that the SVEA 105 usually have an "all in one". here is a pic of the NRV. seems to have black gunk around it. I think it is from the washer on the pump as it is black rubber of some type and some crumbly, black, sticky stuff on the end when I pulled it out.

Should I try to clean out the black gunk before trying to remove the NRV? I was thinking some of it may get into the tank.

...but this is all very fun and exciting.. so much to figure out and learn.
    Thank you for your help!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  6. Tony Press

@NW Lady

It's a good idea to clean the pump tube out before removing the NRV. That ensures your NRV tool house all the way down and fits the NRV properly. It also stops gunk falling into the tank.

A good idea is to soak the NRV in penetrating oil for a day or more before trying to remove the NRV. Do this by filling the pump tube with the penetrating oil.

You can make your own penetrating oil by mixing 1:1 acetone (nail polish remover) with automatic transmission fluid.

If you look at this thread below you will see how I removed the NRV from a stove:

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/full-fettle-of-a-primus-no-30.33934/

Cheers

Tony

7. NW Lady

@Tony Press that was very helpful! I saw one of the posts that said they were going to "bookmark" your post or thread. How can I do that? I have this long list... ON PAPER... and Word files on my PC.... of really helpful posts. Didn't realize there was a way to "bookmark" so I could find them again easily. Thank you

8. janders

janders Subscriber

@NW Lady
    Screenshot.jpg
    If you look just under Priceless....

9. Tony Press

@NW Lady

If you look at the bottom of this (or any) post, you will see "Bookmark". Click on it. When you go to your personal information, you will find your bookmarks.

Cheers

Tony

Edit: crossed posts with @janders

10. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

Must be an IE function, I don't see it in Firefox.

11. NW Lady

12. NW Lady

@Tony Press @janders ...worked perfectly. Great feature! I have sooo many word files created to try and not lose good info I have found. thank you

13. janders

janders Subscriber

@snwcmpr
    I would not know about IE, don't touch the stuff.

I did a bit of testing though. It doesn't show in chrome or Firefox (on linux). It does show in Vivaldi (on linux).

I'll make a post at feedback and problems.

Anybody else that can cover the browsers on windows?

14. ArchMc

ArchMc SotM Winner Subscriber

Ken, that seems strange. I use Firefox, and I see it at the bottom of every post.
    ("Edit Delete Report Bookmark")

....Arch

15. ArchMc

ArchMc SotM Winner Subscriber

@snwcmpr Oops, I see (from posts in Forum Feedback), you're using Linux.

....Arch

16. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

I use both. I tried the IE on Win 7 and it wasn't there. I looked up the privileges of being a subscriber.
    There it is "Bookmark Posts".

Ken in NC

17. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

CCS and CPL would not survive without the generous subscriptions from some of its members.

As a 'Thank You' there are certain privileges given to subscribers.
    They are clearly listed here.