1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

American Gas Machine, Model 713, cabin range.

Discussion in 'AGM - American Gas machine' started by Doc Mark, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Lamp_Doctor Australia

Just picked up a AGM Kitchenkook 813 being restored now photos later .
    Bob

2. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator Subscriber

813 advert from 1926.

AGM Advert 1926 E.jpg

3. HunterStovie

HunterStovie United States Subscriber

@Doc Mark

Did you ever get to pick up the stove? Where in Colorado is/was it?

Mike

4. Doc Mark

Doc Mark United States Subscriber

Hey, @HunterStovie ,

Mike, yep, I surely did pick up that stove, which was in Lakewood, CO, a suburb of Denver! AND, I also got another excellent cabin range from the same Gal, who was selling that one for a friend. The second stove is a Montgomery Wards Favor stove, made around 1936-37, by Prentiss-Wabers and is their Model 440P. It's the most beautiful stove of it's kind that I've ever seen in person! Needs some help, with knobs, but other than that, it appears complete and in very, very good condition! I had to take the 713 apart somewhat, to get it into our Jeep, and had to take the platform off of the 440P, for the same reason! Man, that Jeep was packed as tightly as Dick's Hat Band, but with God's Good Graces, I was able to make both stoves, and all our other stuff, fit!!

I took the 713 to the CASG #10, with every intent of fettling it back to life. But, "best laid plans....." and all, I ended up fettling other stoves, and doing some work for a fellow to whom I'd long promised my help. So, the 713 remains unfettled, and patiently waiting for me to return to it. Here it is, next to our first Clayton and Lambert #3, on which we cooked most all our meals at the event.

A.jpg

And, a closer photo (C&L #3 on the left; 713 on the right:

B.jpg

And, here's a few of the only shots I have of the PW 440P/Wards Favor stove:

2.jpg

10.jpg

5.jpg

I got the 440P for a very good price, as it was missing knobs that are going to be very, very, very hard to find, and I was unsure about the rest of the possible needs of the stove. She was asking a quite a bit larger sum, but after I told her of my conundrum, I made her a very, very low offer, and after talking to her friend on the phone, he accepted my offer. I was happy, though I've already found that finding the original knobs, etc., is going to be next to impossible. Oh, well..... I'll use something that looks good on the stove, and works.

So, that's where things stand, as off now. I don't see myself having much time to fettle either stove until, probably, the next CASG event, whenever that is. But, I do look forward to doing that just that, and to using both stoves in the future! I continue to be blessed in most of my "Stove Finding Adventures", and for that blessing, I am, and will always be, exceedingly grateful!!! Praise God in all things, both great, and small!! Thanks for asking, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. I just noted that where you live, is only about 24 miles from Denver, is that right? So, both stoves were found quite close to you. I'm sorry we couldn't have touched base, and gotten together for lunch, or dinner!!

5. HunterStovie

HunterStovie United States Subscriber

@Doc Mark

I moved to Colorado from Anaheim in '97, been in Parker since 2002. I've got a 2004 Unlimited so I know what you mean by space. I had to buy a 4'x6' trailer just for hunting.

Take Care, You are always welcome here.

Mike

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  6. Doc Mark

@HunterStovie ,

Mike,

I look forward to moving out of CA, as you already have! Next time we're going to be in your area, I'll give you a shout, and maybe we can meet up. Generally, when we do get to pass through Denver, we don't have much time, except for possible dinner. We'll be on our way to a job, and have to arise early, and hit the road. I hope we can work it out, and look forward to meeting in person! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

7. David B. United States

If I were in your situation, I'd investigate 3D printing as a possible solution to that problem.

8. Doc Mark

@David B.,

That might be a great idea. I'd have to investigate that possibility, as you suggested, but I might have a friend in Nevada who has such a machine. I'll give it some thought, and see if anything looks promising. Thanks for the suggestion! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

9. Doc Mark

@David B. , and All,

Well, it appears that 3D printing would work, BUT, it's also far too expensive for only a few knobs!! Shapeways require an order of 60 pieces, + materials, before they will accept an order. I only need 4 of one knob, and 1 of another. Yes, I would gladly take double that number, just to make sure I can have some spares. But, SIXTY knobs is most definitely NOT what I am willing to order. Oh, well....... Back to the knob hunt!! Good idea, but not practical for "one of" jobs. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

10. Lefteri United States

Hey all! My name is Lefteri and I'm one of the Senior Customer Service Agents at Shapeways. I just wanted to clarify that you do not need to place an order of 60 pieces for an order to be accepted. We do not have an order minimum.

@Doc Mark My apologies if someone misinformed you! If you have any questions about ordering from us please feel free to email service@shapeways.com. You can mention my name and my colleagues will make sure it gets to me. I would be more than happy to clear up any misunderstandings!