Brasso Polish and its deadly effects! ?

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Robtz, Jun 29, 2007.

1. outlaw

Resurrecting an interesting older thread, interesting comments on the effects of ammonia on copper and brass, I hadn't heard of that before. I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with Mothers' Mag and Aluminum Polish? I have used it extensively for over 20 years,and love the results, I went looking for the MSDS and found it, (Not on the mother's site BTW) and its "Hazardous materials" are Kerosene and Sodium Hydroxide (Lye), so no ammonia here.

It can be had at most any auto parts store, (and at Wally World as well) The instructions say to use terry cloth t apply then a clean terry cloth to buff out.

I have used it on Gold (To clean it) Brass, Copper and unplated steel to remove stains (Saved my favorite knife this way, and I just used it on the new to me Optimus 199 and am partly done with an Aladdin kerosene lamp that was nearly black/brown with tarnish. My wife was very impressed with the latter results.)

-Outlaw

2. hobowonkanobe

ROL!! too true Thug. I been using brasso on all my stoves out of ignorance of anything else (till now, thank you Thug) w/ no ill affects. It ain't supposed to be used as a dietary supliment. ;)

3. barrabruce

The Yak wrote

Looks interesting. 350 deg F temp range.
    Good enough for stove fonts.
    Will look into it.
    Thanks Yak

Barra