Bring out your Hurlocks

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by cottage hill bill, May 17, 2017.

1. ArchMc

ArchMc SotM Winner Subscriber

:thumbup:

....Arch

2. ArchMc

@Breifne
    I would be very interested in any references, hearsay, or any other information you have on military use of these stoves.

Thanks!

....Arch

3. Barrett

Barrett New Zealand Subscriber

Old thread addition...

@cottage hill bill

@presscall 's current post on his Hurlock and the link within gave me reason to re read your thread here and I thought I would add my Hurlock for reference, though my photographic skill and the phone pics are of low quality sorry.

I picked this one up earlier this year here in NZ in an antique market hall, I was happy to find the stove and spares tin and even happier when the assistant at the counter said that the storage tin was also there tucked away back on the shelf and went to retrieve it, I had not seen/recognised it! very lucky and thankful for her knowledge of their stock!
    20210417_163319.jpg
    As you can see, a type 3 in your classification.
    Storage tin appears to show remains of a VERY thin coat of green paint.
    I like the "use Kerosine" instruction painted on to the lid by some PO to avoid confusion:)
    20210417_141644.jpg
    Spares tin contains the tool, seals, prickers and a cork with glass pouring spout.
    20210417_141148.jpg
    Stove was complete and in operational condition, as apart from some pump action improvement with a little oil it seemed ready to go.

No WD or date stampings that I have found, but there are the faint remains of ink stamps on the fount.
    These lower ones are still clearly visible, but there is also a very faint circular shaped? stamp above these that my phone camera can't pick up. I don't think there's anyway of enhancing these without erasing them.
    20210417_140808.jpg
    I have no idea what they are or when they were applied and wonder if others here in NZ have seen similar, or anyone elsewhere?

It was more than happy to fire up again.
    20210417_212320.jpg 20210417_212811.jpg

Happy to have it in my collection.

Cheers

4. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Photos turned out good. Lucky to get the complete parts tin with parts. I have a second one that has the pump head that swivels, don't care for the swivel.
    Duane

5. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

That one of mine to add to the thread.

A ‘Type 3’, shade of paint now in that of ‘Types 1&2’ with the only remaining original paint on the brass tank on the base, the shade of green seen on @Barrett ’s. Interesting to see it would have had the decal too. The ink stamps on Barrett’s are a revelation too. A WD arrow surely, and a date?

A84DF521-0336-4E36-898D-C7CA21AA0952.jpeg EDCE3707-D7DF-4776-B0F8-92D92ED0EE6C.jpeg EF3ECDF1-4BBA-4297-8573-81953D68CF17.jpeg 9EA2ADA8-3B80-4957-9ACB-A0A08E938823.jpeg D61A633A-75EC-4343-B80D-640E42589067.jpeg 5178DC56-5958-4781-A513-F6069421CC9C.jpeg 5925841E-ECC3-43F5-A669-828C337F0FEA.jpeg DDAF8781-C922-449B-8B02-FFF82F9A94E8.jpeg 12FFE316-90CC-4218-BD25-216D6B996178.jpeg 20DEC4AC-3381-400B-8124-4E0E5D3BF6A0.jpeg

6. Barrett

@presscall , John it is interesting that you see a possible WD arrow too, when I first saw it, that was my initial thought, but being outside of accepted norms I dismissed it and put the stove on the shelf a few months ago when these pics were taken and left it at that.
    I'll open it up again tomorrow and have another look as the circular stamp above it bugs me.

Cheers

7. Barrett

PS... to @hikerduane

Duane thanks for replying that the pics looked OK.
    Glad to see you and Repo are ok and still out there doing it.

Cheers

8. Scrambler

Scrambler Australia Subscriber

@Barrett I see it as a broad arrow (WD if you like) with the number '52' above it (on the right in the photo). The 5 has lost paint at the top left, and the 2 has lost paint on the bottom left.

Assuming this is correct, a mark to indicate it's a NZ item (assuming that's the army involved) would be the missing element. Would the circle fit with this? Australian items of this sort of vintage often had a "red rat" = stencilled kangaroo. An unofficial "property of" marker also widely used on "borrowed" equipment from other countries armies.

9. Barrett

Cheers @Scrambler
    I think you are right at 52
    I'll have a look at the other marking again today, just busy setting up a home classroom for my boy as we are in another lockdown.

@Robtz have you see any markings on NZ military equipment like this in your experience?

10. cottage hill bill

cottage hill bill Subscriber

Definitely a broad arrow. The letters above look to me like 8R. As marked I would say British ownership. The various flavors of broad arrow marks were /|\ plain arrow or on some items W/|\D (war department) or pre 1855 B/|\O (Board of Ordnance) for British items.
    D/|\D for Australia, N/|\Z for New Zealand and /|\ inside the letter C for Canada. Canada officially stopped using the mark in 1949 but some later dated items can occasionally be found.

@ArchMc I've collected British militaria since the late 60s. Along with a stupid amount of stuff I've a fair reference library, there being a lot more militaria books available than lantern and stove books. Photographic evidence for the single burner stove is so far non-existent. I've have several photos of No.2 stoves in use in the field, especially in NW Europe, i.e. post D-Day. I have pictures of Primus types, mostly 2-pinters, with troops, most notably the Long Range Desert Group (LRDG) in North Africa, but that would have been early war, 40-42. That being said, I have no doubt from the number of stoves among collectors that are marked with a broad arrow that they were in the British army system during the last couple years of the war and presumably post war. Depending on how they were meant to be distributed they may not have gotten into the hands of a lot of troops. My militaria collecting has really dropped off in the past 10-15 years. Maybe I'll reengage with some of the collector forums and see if anyone there has information.

@Barrett Most of the NZ marked stuff I've seen has been weapons. Web gear was manufactured and furnished by the UK, Canada and Australia.

11. BigScott

BigScott Subscriber

Here's my Hurlock which I got last year. The paint was pretty poor and the decal was almost totally gone. I gave it a bath in Persil and boiling water to remove the paint and found that the steel tank had a coating on it a bit like 'tinning'. I used heat resistant MOWOG (Morris) Green on it. It actually came in a Toffee tin. Hurlock #2.jpg

12. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

That looks nice.
    Duane

13. ArchMc

Thanks, @cottage hill bill

I’ve not seen photographic or written evidence of Hurlock usage by the military, which is why I asked.

It seems the British military used whatever they could get early in the war, and that the No. 2 was the one most commonly available once defense production caught up with need.

Hopefully we’ll eventually solve the mystery.

….Arch

14. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Wonder why the military arrow was stamped on them then? :) Other stoves also.
    Duane

15. cottage hill bill

@hikerduane My working hypothesis for now is that they were in the military supply system (otherwise they wouldn't have a /|\) but came late in the war and didn't get to a lot of frontline troops, hence few to no photos of them in use.

16. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Earlier in this thread @cottage hill bill mentioned the Hurlock/AC Cars connection and I’ve expanded on that link with a Hurlock company history in the Stove Reference Library HERE.

John

17. frg7700

frg7700 Subscriber

There's a Hurlock on display in the 4 Commando Museum in Ouistreham if that helps any!

18. cottage hill bill

@presscall Great write up on Hurlock John. thanks for the addition to the knowledgebase. Even today the Ace is a gorgeous car.

19. IvanN

IvanN United States Subscriber

My Hur locks, need to see a Dr and get it fixed:p

20. Robtz

Robtz Subscriber

@Barrett, I have seen the broad arrow on items, but they are not generally 'in use' now. More along the lines of those that have commented here.