CA Stove Gathering, #2??

Discussion in 'Events & Meets' started by Doc Mark, Jan 14, 2008.

1. hikin_jim

Doc:

b-gin has the right price for you. You can buy through Amazon (the link that b-gin provided) or you can buy direct from Altrec . Altrec is offering free shipping. $55.00 with free shipping -- now that's a deal.
    Coleman also has it marked down but only to $80.00.

I think you may really like the Xpedition. It's light (magnesium alloy), quite stable considering it's minimalist construction (it is after all a backpacking stove), and it simmers well (something not all BP'ing stoves can claim). It holds a fairly large pot. It does not have a threaded valve. It's a very simple yet secure, push, turn, and click. No worries about cross threading or screwing it on far enough -- big advantages when one is cold, tired, and wearing gloves or mittens. The canisters are aluminum which are much lighter than the standard steel canisters. You can also recycle the Powermax canisters along with your aluminum cans (provided you've punctured the canister first) unlike the standard steel canisters which are generally sent to a landfill unless you can find a retailer who has a special recycling program. The Powermax canisters have a lot of BTU's in them; they're about 40% propane (the remainder being isobutane and butane) whereas most canisters are 20% or less propane.

Hmm. Well, I guess you can tell I'm pretty sold on the "X" series from Coleman. :) Take a look; I think you'll like what you see.

Jim

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  2. flivver

flivver United States Subscriber

Hi All; A couple more pics. I think
    Charlie disagrees with Jim's lantern lighting method.
    Mike...

1254413350-CA_Meet_076_1_1.jpg |imgRemoved|

The gals hard at work while the guys are busy fettling.
    1254413823-CA_Meet_072_1_1.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  3. Jim Henderson

This is my first time posting pictures, assuming it actually worked, so bear with me.

I have attached 3 images of the Novy Formaldehyde Generator that was displayed at the Calif Stove Gathering #2.

These are probably low quality pics since I can't see them as I am posting this.

One picture is as the entire assembly appears ready to go minus the hose for the keyhole. Formaldehydle is poured into the funnel type thing on top.

Another picture is of the stove as broken down into main assemblies. The Copper pot is where the solution to be heated is held.

The last picture is a closeup of the engraved marking. I have put chalk in it to help make the markings more obvious.

Better pictures will follow once the stove is properly fettled and after I learn how to use the picture posting features of this website.

Hope this worked.

Jim Henderson 1254421676-PICT0114_opt.jpg 1254421691-PICT0113_opt.jpg 1254421713-PICT0120_opt.jpg

Attached Files:

4. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Jim, your photos are great. Elegance and functionality seem to co-exist beautifully (more often than not) in vintage technology.

All the best,

John

5. flivver

Hi all: Nice photos Jim!! I love that thing. Mike...

6. Jim Henderson

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  7. DAVE GIBSON

DAVE GIBSON Subscriber

OMG :shock: --this AM is the first chance i've had to look over the CA Stove Gang in action..what a heap of gear :D ..and real odd ball stuff--the gear not the gang ;) ..Doc i know the que is for historical dress-up but it sure gives me a new view of what you might really look like--!!..i'll be going over the photos again in detail later on,great gathering folks :D/

8. Jim Henderson

I saw Doc at a re-enactment this weekend, he was with the British camp.

I am not sure of his getup. I was going to ask him about it but forgot. If he had a long mustache and one of those round bowl hats, he would have looked more like the evil Dr. Fu Manchu than a British surgeon, at the ready, with blood letting lancets in hand. Seemed awfully anxious to demonstrate trepanning and limb removal.

Was that an authentic outfit doc?

Jim Henderson

9. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Greetings, Dave and Jim,

Dave, many thanks for your kind words about our recent get together! Next time you get out this way, please give us a heads up, and maybe we can setup a Gathering near where you're going to be visiting! That would be wonderful!

Jim, it was great to see you and your Bride at the Marching Through History event! Everything that you saw in my camp has at least two primary historical sources from the time I represent, including the outfit I was wearing. I'm fairly sure that you are talking about my banyan, which is a very fancy, many time highly floral, gentleman's dressing gown. They were very popular in the 18th century, and NO true gentleman would have been without at least one, if not more of them. They were worn in home situations, and as you, and my other guests during that event, were coming into my "home", it was quite proper for me to be wearing it. I don't remember is I had the matching cap on, or my regular workman's cap, but the caps can be quite "interesting", too! ;) :D

Here's a shot of the entire outfit, which was worn over your "small clothes", which were your breeches, waistcoat, shirt, stockings, shoes, neck stock, and such, usually without a coat or jacket.

1254767209-DSCN0403.JPG

I did not take a camera to this event, as I knew that, once my surgery had been setup, I would not be leaving my tents until the medical kit was packed and safely locked up again. The Sergeant from the 33rd Regiment of Foot, took a few photos of me in British uniform, which was fun! When he sends them to me, I'll post them here at CCS.

Jim, MANY thanks for your wonderful surprize gift at the event!! I promise to give your neat Novy Formaldehyde Generator a loving and good home!! It will have an honored place in my collection, as it covers both stove and medical implement bases!! Thank you, once again, for passing it's care along to me!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. It's a good thing that you guys didn't have to hear my entire presentation, or you would have been there for about one and a half hours! Great to have you visit!

Attached Files:

10. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Hi Doc, I am looking forward to see more photo's of your Living History does! ;)

Regards,

Wim

11. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Evening, Wim,

I know that you are deeply involved with Living History, and I've enjoyed the photos you've posted of your events. I'll do the same, if those that took photos will send them to me, as promised. It's all fun, as you well know! ;) 8) :D :thumbup:

I'll soon be heading for an event that I began, for all our ALRA members West of the Mississippi River, and the State of Minnesota, and there, I should be taking quite a few photos. If any of them come out well, I'll share them here, just for grins. Thanks, very much, for your interest, Wim. Maybe someday you and I will be able to share an event together!! That would be outstanding fun!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

12. ArchMc

ArchMc Subscriber

Just when you thought it was safe...

More photos!

These are part of the upcoming book, Doc Mark's Guide to Fettling the Glenwood Camp Stove. See previous posts for additional instruction.

The gutted Glenwood.
    |imgRemoved|

Burner disassembly. Fettling novices should note the proper foot placement during this delicate procedure.
    |imgRemoved|

Carbon removal, part I: Heating.
    |imgRemoved|

Carbon removal, part II: Quenching.
    |imgRemoved|

After successful removal, the gauze must be cleaned.
    |imgRemoved|

....Arch

13. flivver

Arch: Great pics!! Mike...

14. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Morning, Mac,

Cool!! Many thanks for posting those photos of the old Glenwood being reworked by our team of intrepid fettlers!! :clap: :clap: :D/ I have showed Sweet Bride the material that was rolled inside both brass mesh screens, and she feels it is a wool of some kind. After seeing it dry, I tend to agree with her. I will not attempt to reuse the old wicking material, as it is absolutely falling to pieces and was so badly crusted and old that it cannot be relied upon to wick fuel of any kind, anymore. So, a new wicking material needs be found, and I'm thinking about a heavy wool yarn, twisted together, or braided, or cotton mop strands, treated in the same manner.

As I wrote before, I was surprized to find out that the Glenwood Camp Stove was intended to run o on gasoline, and not kerosene, as the seller's Mom had related. I do believe that, being a gravity feed fuel system, and having cast iron burners, it will very probably burn either fuel, and future testing will either affirm that thought, or disprove it. More fun to be had, that's for sure!

Thanks, again, for sharing those nice photos, Mac, and for your help, as well as Flivver's, in getting that old stove apart. As you remember, the burners really did NOT want to be dismantled, and without the heating and quenching, I don't think we'd have been so successful. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

15. Jim Henderson

Reminder to Mrs. Flivver...

My son would kill for the creamed corn casserole recipe. Don't forget to post it. An excellent side dish.

Jim Henderson

OOps never mind found it in the recipe gallery.

Thanks.

16. ArchMc

ArchMc Subscriber

Here's some more of my pics; mostly people.

Big Jim (on the right) and I.
    1254897538-Arch_and_Jim_opt.jpg

Cooking (keeping tea water hot, anyway) on a Radius 300.
    1254897553-Cooking_on_a_Radius_300_opt.jpg

Mike (Flivver) sets up the music.
    :D/ :D/ Yes, we have no bananas . . . :D/ :D/
    1254897571-Mike_and_Victrola_opt.jpg

Mark enjoying some brass and kero.
    1254897601-Wizard_of_the_flame_opt.jpg

....Arch

Attached Files:

17. hydro451

Hi All,

Just spectacular you all - all the great people, stoves and lanterns - and fine food - wonderful
    I see Doc is quite content with that excellent looking 510 - nice flames - so blue and Mike that is one absolutley gorgeous hand-cranked phonograph, just gorgeous - looks like mahogany , wow - wouldn't mind starting to collecting those but not enough geets to get both stoves and phonographs- yours could drive one to start although

Thanks you all for posting so much stuff - look forward to the next gathering's posts

Tom

18. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Morning, Tom, Mac, and All,

Mac, thanks, again, for posting additional photos. I'd love to get email attachments of some of those, if you wouldn't mind, please.

Tom, we had a wonderful time getting together, and even though our crowd was small, we had BIG fun!! We are already planning our next Gathering, which should take place in December, or maybe January. How about it, for you guys that attended this last one? January would probably work best for Sweet Bride and me. How about you Guys and Gal? Let me know, and we'll pick a date and go for it!! Mac, do we need to reserve a few campsites in the Joshua Tree area, or just show up, and setup camp in whichever we prefer? Talk to you all soon, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

19. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hey, Guys,

Just checked our work schedule, and it looks like we only have one weekend in January that might work for a Gathering. That would be January 15-17. We could arrive earlier, say around the 13th, or 14th, and so make a longer Gathering. Also, we have the first two weekends in February open, if that would work for everyone else. That would be February 4,5,6,7, or Feb 11,12,13,14. What say you, Folks? For those who did not attend our recent CA Stove Gathering #2, Gathering #3 is going to be located in the Joshua Tree Monument area, as we want to cut Flivver and Mrs Flivver some driving slack, as they drove the greatest distance to our just completed Gathering. The Joshua Tree area is really lovely, but mostly desert topography. Mac has camped there quite a bit, and recommended it highly. So, we "voted" at our Gathering and JT won, hands down! 8) :D :thumbup:

Give the dates a squint, Friends, and see if those would work for you all. If so, let's start making plans now, to avoid the rush!! ;) 8) :D :lol: Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc and Sweet Bride (who are thinking about making our stove selection for this next Gathering a "theme" sort of thing: I.E. All Coleman, or all MSR, or all Meths, etc..)

20. Jim Henderson

Just as an update to a previous posting on this topic...

Checked with the Angeles Crest Rangers and they said Buckhorn is closed for the season. It was not damaged by the Station fire but it is in the fire closure area, as is most of Angeles Crest Highway.

So it looks like no camping this year. The ranger did not know when it would reopen since they evaluate the area regularly, but for now it is closed. The normal end of season is Nov 15 anyway.

Drat, hoped to have the place all to my self.

Jim Henderson