Coleman Apex II model 445A700 pump assembly

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Richard Burright, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Arthur Yates

Is there any way to take the Apex fuel pump hose and adapt it to work with a MSR fuel pump.

2. HunterStovie

HunterStovie United States Subscriber

With the right size tubing you could possible solder it onto the end, understand though if it were successful you'd have to find a way to prime/preheat the stove.

3. Arthur Yates

HunterStovie, as you are probably aware the MSR stoves fuel line fits into the pump head while the Coleman fuel line fits into the stove, so would it be possible to take the end of the MSR fuel line with the insert and the fuel line from an old Coleman and fit them together with some type adapter. The Apex should work as developed provided that the lines don't leak. Am I just dreaming or is this workable? I don't have an old Coleman pump so I can't experiment. Thanks!

4. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Colin Geer

As I think about writing this, I somehow feel I could be starting another definitional war. But here is what I’ve gleaned from stove and lamp forums and websites, advertising material, and the wisdom of others. I’m happy to be corrected if I’m wrong.

“GPA” is a North American term, originally applied to “Gasoline [Gas] Pressure Apparatus [or Appliance]” but now appears to be used more generally to cover kerosene pressure lamps and stoves.

The term is not used widely in Australia, except by some who are active on US based forums where GPA is regularly used.

Cheers

Tony

5. HunterStovie

@Arthur Yates

My suggestion has you removing the fuel line from the Apex pump and attaching the proper sized tubing to the pump end. It was just a thought

Where is your old pump? I might have an extra Apex fuel line if that would help. Maybe @teckguy_58 would like to try this experiment?

Mike

6. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

Just to break the msr pump idea. Doesnt the Apex mix air and fuel in the pump inlet? If so a straight msr pump wont work but if you can modify the fuel pick up to match whats on the Apex it should work. Only other drama is that you will have to use the msr bottle

7. Arthur Yates

geeves, I wasn't aware that the Coleman pump mixed gas and air at the pump. That would create a problem in adapting the MSR and the Coleman. Maybe the @teckguy_58 could weigh in on this with his thoughts.

8. teckguy_58

teckguy_58 United States Subscriber

@Arthur Yates

I have a couple of these stoves which now use different pumps. The first one I converted I used a Coleman Denali pump and the second I use a Primus pump. You do loose the instant light, for me I preheat the generator with my torch/lighter so it's not a problem.
    I have more of these stoves which will be converted sometime soon.

Cheers,
    Norman

9. HunterStovie

@Arthur Yates

The pump gets air from bottle and mixes it with fuel at the black elbow on the fuel pickup tube.

10. Arthur Yates

Anyone know the part # for the Apex fuel hose? Are they available on the Coleman web site?

11. HunterStovie

They have not been available for years. I've tried, but I'll still try to get you that part number just in case.

12. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

I had to replace mine with the right size rubber tube

13. DJS United States

A section of 5/8 dia 0.014" wall brass tube carefully cut, filed, and fitted around the cracked pump assembly. Secured with 3M 2216 (expensive !) epoxy. It might work. DS

Attached Files:

14. Got Dibbs

Got Dibbs Subscriber

It can absolutely be done. By using the stove attachment from the end of the Coleman Apex fuel line and the bottle attachment from the MSR fuel line (must be from an older MSR stove with the cloth covered rubber fuel line). Attach each to the opposite ends of a properly sized fuel hose with hose clamps and there you go. I've actually done it and it looks like it came that way.