Good places to buy fuel

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Trojandog, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Unclebumble United States

I am new to these stoves, so learning the new stuff. Am I correct that you can go to a local convenience store/gas station that sells kerosene that you would use in a kerosene wick heater and use it in one of these stoves??? OR should I go to the hardware store and buy kerosene in a gallon can? The later of which I would expect to be much cleaner..?....Maybe??? One major difference is the stuff in the gallon can from the hardware store is twice the price of the stuff you can pump into a blue 5 gallon can...

2. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

You want K-1 grade, from whatever source. All of the 'hardward gallons' (and 2 1/2 and 5 gallon hardware sizes) are K-1.
    The pump kero will work but you should find out if it is K-1 or a lesser grade.
    I don't worry about the extra expense, because even as a serious stove user on hikes and in camp, I really don't use much-- not like heating a house!

3. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

Some pump kerosene in NC is undyed and untaxed, clear kerosene. It works.
    But, as Ed says, it is not as good as the clear stuff you pay more for in the stores.

4. Unclebumble United States

Thanks for the responses. What you have said is what I was thinking was the way it works. I just don't like to assume anything. It's nice to know what you CAN use in a pinch. Somewhere on the site I saw mentioned "lamp oil". You can buy that in variety stores and often in hardware stores. I am thinking that will work as well. And lastly,... What about tiki torch oil.? I know that stuff burns really sooty, but truth is, I've never seen kerosene burn in an open flame, so for all I know it could be that sooty as well. Would you burn that as a last resort?? I'm not sure I'd want to cook with something that has additives to repel mosquitoes. ;0)

5. Marc

Marc Subscriber

"Lamp oil" here in the USA is liquid paraffin, quite unsuitable for stoves and lanterns. Might burn, but will clog things in a hurry. Confusing, as what we call kerosene here in the USA is paraffin over in Jolly Old.

Tiki oil is kerosene with citronella. It'd burn, but not recommended, as any of the additives will clog up the works faster than just pure kero.

6. Unclebumble United States

Good information. Thank you to all. I am quite enjoying learning about these old stoves. I have bought a few and plan to tinker ( fettle) with them as time allows. Cheers!

7. snwcmpr

Welcome to the monkey house.

8. Cookie

Cookie United States Subscriber

@Unclebumble Also be advise that down here in Florida there are three types of kerosene sold. They come in 100°F (mixed with thinners), 124°F (minimum safe temp for flat wicks lamps), and the 150°F real kerosene. Check the MSDS sheet on anything that you do not buy at the pump. I personally buy the 2.5 gal containers of ultra-pure kero from Ace Hardware for all of my stoves. It has the least smell and burns the cleanest for me. Our pump kero is dyed down here.

9. snwcmpr

Most of our pumps have dyed kero. I have to look for the rarity here. I have only one in my town. An Enmark station.

10. BradB

BradB United States Subscriber

I see you are in Eastern NC. Here in eastern/central NC many of the Sheetz stations have pumps labeled “clear K1 kerosene”. I burn it in my garage space heater, probably 15 or 20 gallons a year. I have burned it in stoves and wick lamps. I burn lamp oil mostly in my Dietz lanterns because it has much less odor when burning in my screened in porch. I burn the Home Depot clear k1 in my stoves out of caution. I have not burned enough pump kero to know if it would clog a burner. As others have said, in the volumes I use in camping stoves, I see no reason to take the chance just to save a couple bucks a year.

11. Unclebumble United States

Thanks guys! I really appreciate all the chatter. It's a great way to learn...and get to know some folks along the way. 8] I like to camp, but do not get to go often. I have a Trailmanor 2720SL and LOVE it! A buddy and I have been camping together for almost 20 years. Our wives don't like camping, so we do a guys extended weekend at least twice a year. I like the Coleman lanterns and stoves. I can burn both CF and Kerosene in most of what I have. With a little fiddling of course...ie, change the generator and and add a pre-heat cup. and recently go into these stoves as well. I think I'm gonna like them also. I maintain a stock of fuel and various methods to cook and get light because I do live in hurricane country. Power can go off for extended periods, so knowing what I CAN use should I need to is really good information. Just in case. Otherwise, I will probably burn the good stuff in the cans from the local hardware store. Just to keep things functioning as they should for those times I NEED them to work.

12. Marc

Marc Subscriber

For USA folks, Amazon has 12oz bottles of yellow HEET for $1.27/ea with Prime right now.

13. redspeedster

redspeedster United Kingdom Subscriber

For the North East of England, just paid £11.25 for 25 litres of "Kerosene" from Oil NRG from the pump in Hartlepool. TS25 1PW.
    They have been mentioned before, prefer cash.

14. Albert Okrej United States

Found non branded "camp stove fuel" at the True Value down the road from me $16 for a big can. I have a few project Coleman items to work on reviving. A 508 a 413 and 220 lantern.

15. geneislucky

In my area we have a Rural King store that sells Sunnyside denatured alcohol at $4 a quart. The gallon size similarly bargain priced. All varieties of Sunnyside chemicals found in paint stores are discounted. Seems to be a permanent pricing policy.

16. Ed Winskill

Where are Rural King stores located? And the Sunnyside brand?

17. geneislucky

Rual King is a chain of stores all in Eastern USA. 125 stores total. Sunnyside Corporation since 1895 is a maker of solvents and paint additives. Sunnyside denatured alcohol is 30-60% ethanol and the remainder methanol. Their recommended use is "fuel". Lack of any non alcohol components is unusual in USA denatured alcohol. And I prefer the smell of Sunnyside to any other alcohol fuel :>)

18. Ed Winskill

That's an interestingly high level of methanol for denatured alc.

19. geneislucky

Not unusual in USA. Denatured alcohol is often half methanol.

20. G1gop United Kingdom

Having trouble getting white gas/ Coleman/etc in Cheshire UK (Northwich end). Can't/reluctant to travel much atm. Anyone know any places? Not out yet but getting low.