1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good places to buy fuel.

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Trojandog, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Canuman United States

I confess, I've never tried Klean-Heat. It seems kind of pricey as a heating fuel, where you can burn a gallon a day in cold conditions, and the fumes are vented overboard anyway. I can see the advantage as a cooking fuel. I really have to struggle to go through more than few gallons cooking fuel per summer. I'm on the boat a lot, and I like to cook. I admit I have a propane barbecue grill that I use frequently -- with the "bomb" in a canvas sack mounted on the aft rail, where any leaking fumes will not go into the bilge. The whole unit burner and all is outside the boat, actually.

I dabbled with a few of those butane stoves that use the notched canisters, but they are hardly economical. A couple of pots of pasta and the morning tea, and they are spanked. The cylinders also pose a disposal issue.

I tried to have a chuckle about bio-ethanol (it seemed a marketing ploy) until I found that anhydrous ethanol is synthesized from petroleum. Ya learn something new every day.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  2. z1ulike

z1ulike United States Subscriber

I agree Klean-Heat is a little pricey. Since your heater fumes are vented outside it's probably not worth the added expense. I burn it in an unvented Kerosun heater I use in my workshop. Works great in stoves too.

I too chuckle at the "bio-ethanol" label. 190 proof is about all you can get from distillation alone. Everclear is about as pure ethanol as you can easily come by. Bio-ethanol is denatured with 1-5% Ethyl tertiary butyl ether or something similar. The main thing is that it's almost pure ethanol unlike denatured alcohol that can contain a large percentage of methanol.

Ben

3. ArchMc

ArchMc United States Subscriber

The bio ethanol was made for indoor (non-venting) fireplaces where any combustion products other than water and CO2 are unacceptable. It does burn very well, and I have used it outdoors in an alcohol stove when I was out of denatured alcohol.

....Arch

4. Roo United Kingdom

Stones at East Heslerton between York and Scarborough on the A64 will supply kero at 50ppl if you leave them a barrel to collect the next day, if you can't be there first thing on a morning. I've used them in the odd emergency.

5. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator Subscriber

@Roo

That is a good price for paraffin and I was in that area twice last week!

6. Pugsley United Kingdom

I get my Kerosene for my lamps and stove at the pump 63p per litre from Glasbury Motor Services, Glasbury, Hereford HR3 5NP near Brecon only difference between paraffin and kerosene is the difference in smell. its heating oil

7. Roo United Kingdom

Are there many garages left with a paraffin pump I wonder? As a naïve yoof I made good use of the competitive price at our local forecourt one evening for my 6.5:1 engine, not realising about the taxation difference - got a proper telling off by FathaRoo!

8. BradB

BradB United States Subscriber

Mitchell's Hardware, New Bern NC has denatured alcohol for $9.99 US for 1 gallon.

9. snwcmpr United States

@BradB That's good, the best I have here, that I know, is 12+ USD per gallon.

10. justin sanford

justin sanford United Kingdom Subscriber

wiltshire Dorset border: forge garage Bourton ,paraffin £1.20 per litre , cheapest for 50 miles. and quater of prepacked.

11. Trojandog

Trojandog United Kingdom Subscriber

Drove past the garage in Horam, East Sussex yesterday and noticed that their kerosene has gone up from 49.9ppl to 54.9ppl, so I assume that it is the same at their other garages in Clayhill, Amberstone, Bolney Cross, Bexhill and Pulborough.

I had 1100 litres put into my heating oil tank last week at 33.8ppl :lol::thumbup:.

Terry

12. SSW United States

Scary reading about methanol use in a stove you do not want to breathe the exhaust from it. I know that it takes twice the amount of methanol to produce the same amount of power as gasoline in a race car and methanol is expensive unless you can buy it as dry cleaning solvent. In my part of oregon I Priced Coleman fuel on Friday at BI Mart and it was $12.70 a gallon. Fred Meyer $13.89 a gallon. Ace Hardware $13.10 per gallon. I have not gone to Walmart I don't like the store. I know that over the telephone they said they do not stock Coleman Fuel or Camping Fuel but they have propane. If anyone from Oregon can tell me anywhere they know of that sells bulk white gas I would love to know. Thanks and take care everyone. - Josh

13. snwcmpr United States

@SSW they may have said that to keep the meth makers at bay.

14. SSW United States

I never thought about that to be honest. Kinda figured that was a thing of the past as far as what they use for chemicals.

15. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

SSW, I don't "like" Walmart either, which would not prevent me in any way from buying Crown fuel there at $7.99 per gallon. Coleman at over $11 per gallon as it has been in recent years is a pure and simple ripoff in my eyes.

This Walmart business got started a few months back when it was reported here that they were selling off Coleman at $7.47 per gallon. It was true, and I bought several gallons.

I wouldn't trust what I hear over the phone. I will go by Walmart myself to check out the Crown and will buy a few gallons if I find it there at that price.

As to bulk "white gas", I've never heard of it since I was a kid and you could actually get real white gas at the pump. This would be 55 and more years ago. Others may know different.

I've been in a Walmart three times: a few years back to buy a Coleman 533 on sale for about 33 bucks, a few months back to buy the Coleman fuel, and one other time I don't remember the reason for.

16. SSW United States

Thank you Ed. Yeah I will have to go in and see if they carry Crown. The bulk white gas I know I can order a 55 gallon drum of it from the local Citgo oil distributor. I am going to check just for my curiosity how much it will cost. If it is lower by the gallon buying a drum I don't see why a group of stove enthusiasts couldn't all get together and buy a drum, and take what they have paid for home in good quality 5 gallon cans. I know that I used to do that with racing gasoline and methanol because I couldn't afford to buy a drum for myself. It always worked out great cost wise for everyone involved. Also it was fun opportunity for us all get together and talk. Being new to this great community of stove enthusiasts is really awesome. It is a fun hobby that I am really enjoying. The advice, the kind words, and everyone sharing their experiences is really cool. If anyone wants the Citgo product number let me know. I am going to go to the local Chevron disributor and see what they have that is comparable to the Citgo product. Take care and have a great weekend everyone.

17. KAB United Kingdom

Clay Hill, nr Lewes now 57.9ppl as of 25/10/16

18. SSW United States

My local Walmart had Crown camp fuel for $7.70 per gallon. A good deal compared to the 13.00 a gallon Coleman brand. It seems to burn just fine in my stove, and my lantern. Have not tried it in the catalytic heater yet.

19. hikin_jim United States

Walmart, love them or hate them, typically does have the best fuel prices. Typically. There are exceptions.

My Walmart (Orange County, California, USA) carries Crown Camp Fuel, aka "white" gasoline, for $7.64 per gallon (about 3.8 liters), which is a very good price. They also have quarts (a bit less than a liter) for $4.83. A gallon of kerosene (i.e. paraffin in the UK) is $8.28.
    image.jpeg

Canister gas, Coleman brand, is $4.97 for 220 g, which is a good price. Coleman is not as good for cold weather (because it contains regular butane, not isobutane), but above about 60 Fahrenheit/15 Celsius it should not matter.

Now here's the exception to Walmart's typical low price leaders: The cylindrical 100% butane canisters are $2.97, hardly a bargain. Asian markets are typically the lowest price for these.

HJ
    image.jpeg

20. SSW United States

I did not know that about the butane that is good to know. Thank you for sharing.