M2A

Discussion in 'Military' started by idahostoveguy, Sep 13, 2009.

1. wallew

Well shucks, OK.

Here's one of the wife slavin' away on the MKT. Note the griddle in the background. She was grillin' up steak and chicken and veggies for the fajitas.

We served about 100 people at the 2010 RM Airshow last year in August. We will be there again this year...

1420887136-attachment.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. wallew

And just in case there is any interest, here is the site "Steel Soldiers"...

This particular thread is about MKT's and specific downloads on what's in them and when they were replaced...

Steel Soldier info on MKT's and MBU's

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  3. little jo Banned

i have one of the M2 cook stoves and mine will fire up with in 20 minutes of the pre- heating stage and boy does it glow a nice flame. some are different than others thats for sure l have fired mine up 4 times and each time after the gen gets hot open the air chamber half way then open the valve and wow what a glow. i have been told you can use coleman fuel as well but this day and age gas is somewhat cheaper at 3.50 a gallon compared to the coleman fuel at 10.00 a gallon. this stove is awesome and it came with all the paper work and instructions, repairs and more

4. thesis_writer

Hi idahostoveguy,
    I am writing my dissertation and I have a small section that discusses the M2 and MBU. Could I please use your pictures in this post in my dissertation?

5. idahostoveguy

thesis_writer,

I sent you a private topic message.

Thanks,
    sam

6. William Matlock

The M2 burner is a very dangerous piece of equipment if you don't know how to use it. They were used in Viet Nam and on into the 80's and late 90's. They were Gas burners, dependable for the most part and with a little training were easy to repair. Don't know if the Guard or Reserves still use them or not. The MBU which runs on Diesel replaced the M2. You also need to have a Generator to start and operate the MBU which was not needed with the M2 burner. Both Burners had their advantages. The M2 was more mobile while the MBU was electric start and cooked at a faster pace.

7. Montero

I have questions about this stove generator .I downloaded manual but there's only outside view.
    Any ideas what is inside ?
    Regards

8. Rickybob United Kingdom Banned

that is a good question - i have been pondering on that myself, the manual describes it as a generator and filter.
    as luck would have it i have a new spare generator and i got a spinner for crimbo, so tommorrow i am off to b+q to get some steel cutting blades and then i am going to slice it and dice it - what's the worst that can happen?
    will post pics when i have done the deed.

9. Montero

I would really appreciate that , thank you .

10. Rickybob United Kingdom Banned

this is a big beast - weighs in at 1.24kg that's the thick end of 3 pounds and 12 ounces and measures 19 inches long and 2 inches in diameter

20180120_113702.jpg

i got some metal cutting discs and safety goggs and i'm ready to rock and roll

20180120_114146.jpg
    my plan was to cut the ends off but i am now thinking of splitting it lengthways
    assuming no major blood loss i should have pics later today

11. Rickybob United Kingdom Banned

pretty it aint, but i cut a window in the top

20180120_133158.jpg
    the tube is packed with chopped steel wire wool, some of the particles are very small so i guess there must be some other filter material at the jet end to stop it blocking
    the fittings are 22mm

20180120_133114.jpg

the needle has a graphite bushing
    this generator was made in 1992
    my plan is to reuse the ends of the generator to make a fuel tank but that must wait until the summer

12. Montero

Thank you for satisfying my curisosity .I expected wire mesh .It's suprise.Could you eviscerate all from the inside ?

13. Rickybob United Kingdom Banned

i was expecting something a bit more high tech - i will finish the job tommorrow morning, but i must get a dust mask first that wire wool is nasty stuff!

14. Montero

Thanks a lot.