M40 / M44

Discussion in 'Other brands' started by Marc, Aug 5, 2019.

1. ArchMc

ArchMc Subscriber

I think you'll like them -- cups designed to be held with mitten'd hands.

....Arch

2. SveaSizzler

SveaSizzler United States Subscriber

Nice fit. Mine have the same markings.

Kuksae? Kuksen? Kuksas?
    Or like sheep and aircraft, just Kuksa.
    But, I am unschooled in Swedish.

3. Lennart F Sweden

In swedish - 1 kåsa, 2 kåsor.
    They look very new compared to mine.
    ...and all of them are the old design with "indestructible" rim:thumbup:

4. Lennart F Sweden

As I suspected - kuksa is finnish, and to a swedish person sounds nearly as mixed genitals:lol:
    I always thought the kåsa was of sápmi heritage...

Guksi - Wikipedia

5. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Thanks folks! Appreciate the info.

How do you shut these off without destroying the O ring? Flipping the lid upside down doesn't work as there's a lip on the burner which holds the lid up enough that it won't shut off. It'll LOOK like it worked, until you smell burning rubber. Along those lines I may have destroyed one of the O rings already. Trangia simmer ring/snuffer doesn't work.

Blasphemy though it may be, I may get some Trangia burners to keep in the kits instead of the military burners.

6. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

I should have thought to mention the rubber O-ring issue when you got these-- I forgot. Yes, you cannot use the lid to extinguish!
    But I haven't fired one up for years. I think you blow it out, and then let it cool down....or maybe put a tin can over it.

7. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Thanks Ed. I wound up lifting the stove body off of the burner with pliers and upending the shallower pan over the burner to snuff it out.

8. Lennart F Sweden

The old(pre-snuffer) Trangia - and military spirit burner instruction say that if you need to snuff the burner:
    first take the O-ring out of the lid, then drop the lid on the burner and let it cool down before putting the ring back and tighten the lid.

9. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Face palmingly obvious once you've outlined it! Thank you!

10. SveaSizzler

I use an empty, washed tuna can. Inverted over the rim of the Svea alky burner, the can cuts off the oxygen, and it snuffs out. Or an empty baked bean can, fits over the whole burner. Quickly out.

11. Lennart F Sweden

I think the swedish field ration liver paté tins had a perfect fit for that but I never tested and it was many years ago I last had one of those tins in my hand.

12. Marc

Marc Subscriber

I'll try removing the rubber O ring first, would rather not add anything else to the kit if possible.

13. SveaSizzler

Thanks for the lesson in Swedish. I must have been led astray by those crazy guys at Varusteleka in Helsinki.
    Kasor = many kasa. Got it.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  14. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Here it is, cooking pasta while the Trangia boils water for drinks on an alcohol fueled away mission to a local spring park: 20190831_122634.jpg

Result:
    20190831_130404.jpg

Spring outlet:
    20190831_133527.jpg

And the first use of the kuksa:
    20190831_133550.jpg

Tasting the water. Very irony, quite alkali, and also carbonated! Wasn't expecting that, you can see the bubbles forming in the kuksa.

A good outing. The M40 seemsbto be more of a water boiler than meant for actual cooking, for continued use as a brew kit I'll be putting civilian Trangia burners in them.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  15. Lennart F Sweden

The primary intention for that mess kit was to get your portion of more or less newly cooked and hopingly still hot food - usually cooked in the company kitchen and portioned in the platoon.
    Secondary to heat cold food or prepare "VR-mat"(Water Reduced food) with some heat source - later the kit of windshield, burner and spirit canister quick and cheap turned all those mess kits into something resembling a storm cooker.
    Third case is to actually cook something in it.
    When the "stove kit" was launched for the mess tin in 1960's Sweden had about 7 million citizens and depending on emergency level it should be used by ½-2 million people in a war situation - imagine this was the perfect solution and just making the new military storm cooker for the special units in need of regular personal cooking.

16. SveaSizzler

I've got a couple of tricks for getting the old Snuskburken to simmer.
    1] Substitute a civilian Trangia w/simmer ring for the Svea alco burner. Either from the start or after getting uo to boiling. I have the issue Svea, an old Trangia ''mini'', and a Chinese-made Esbit clone. When one flames out I use the potgripper and reset with a full burner and continue cooking.
    1a] Possibly to cut away and perforate a tuna can to make a scaled up ''simmer ring'' for the Svea alco burner.
    2] Use a square steel old Soviet PT-1 type trivet on top of the windscreen inside rails. This raises the bottom of the pot a little and diffuses the flame. Also works with GI canteen cups, and Moka cafe pots. Gives them a stable base.
    3] Double boiler effect. Use the frypan filled with water below and set the deep billie on top, so the flame gets diffused. The inside kidney pan of a German post-War type mess tin works best here. Hot water transfers heat to pot but is limited to 212*F, 100*C. You can use tin foil folded double to make a pot lid.
    4] Never tried it, but they say if you add some water to the alcohol in the Svea burner, and it will burn less hot.

17. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Thanks gents for the info on original intended usage and tips for suiting my needs better.