META-50 Cook Kit

Discussion in 'Meta' started by snwcmpr, Feb 25, 2013.

1. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

Hmmmm, more air???
    Will look at that.

Ken

2. johank

One of my Military instructurs was in the Paras during WWII, in some handling of POWs he accuired a Meta 50. The Handel is for sliding down the Tablets, the hollow Disk is a Snow stand.
    I got mine from a Swiss friend.
    Meta 50 is very pre Trangia T25 and the Swedish Rangers Stove. Nowadays the Service have switched to Gas and Spiritburner is reserve, never Cooking Sets 08 are in use.
    I have mostly used kerosine 111 or simular, Mecano Stoves are impractical in snow with Winter Gloves on. Making Water takes big Pots and long time.

3. snwcmpr

"the hollow Disk is a Snow stand"
    I do not know what you mean. Could you explain what the hollow disk is you mention.
    I know it will seem obvious to me after you point it out.

Ken in NC

4. ArcticStoves

Ken: If I may be so bold, the Meta-50 disk that holds the 2nd pot in the stacked both pots on top position can be set under the stove as a ring to keep it from sinking into the snow. That's my best guess of what our Swiss friend means anyways.

Personally, I use a full disc of alu foil from pizza dishes, on top of a disc of closed cell camping matt foam under any stove on the snow, so I'm not sure how well a ring would work as a snowshoe for the stove on snow!

Melt Snow! (In the pot!)

5. ArcticStoves

Trangia issues a full-size aluminum dinner plate to go under the stove with their winter alcohol burner pre-heater kit.
    Melt Snow! (In the pot!)

6. snwcmpr

ArcticStoves,
    Yes, that does make sense, but you would only be able to use 1 pot, and not be able to stack the second on on top.
    Thanks,
    Ken in NC

7. ArcticStoves

Ken: I agree! For Meta-50, I prefer to use both pots on at same time for me, and an insulated disc under the base!

I will be interested to see how Meta-50 works with a carbon felt insulated windscreen + burner primer can for an Evernew Ti burner, all of which is coming in the post!