MSR G-K Stove, with MSR Deluxe Stuffle Bag and goodies!

Discussion in 'MSR - Mountain Safety Research' started by Doc Mark, Aug 9, 2019.

1. SistersOregon United States

Where I am it's quite dense with smoke, like standing downwind from a campfire minus the flames and heat. Firefighters are hindered by poor breathing conditions. Elsewhere? It's bad. I lived in West Yellowstone in 1988 and well remember the fires there and then; this is worse because of its scale.

Thanks for your kind words: it's bad and only weather changes will begin the fires slowing.

My stove, purchased new when MSR was its own nascent company and I was a student at the University of Washington in Seattle who backpacked and climbed a fair amount, didn't come with any spare parts. Stove; bottle; pump; tin cup; jet cleaning needle was about it.

I've written MSR/Cascade Designs. We'll see what they come up with. Local hardware stores don't carry small enough springs. A small bolt will easily replace the knob, but I do like to keep things original or as class as can be. This is a well used and still used stove, so "working" comes ahead of "original condition."

You offer God's blessing: I'll echo it back to you, Doc...

2. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

Welcome to CCS.
    I was born in Oregon, have the web feet to prove it, and also did a lot of climbing in W Wa when I lived there.
    Good stove you have.

3. 8R Pete

8R Pete United States Subscriber

I just bought another MSR stove on E Bay. Seller had a starting price with a make an offer so I did. He accepted. I think it might be a DF or MF stove not too sure. The flat generator tube appears to be leaning towards the right side, spring around coil, fat sparker wheel, Bakelite base, burner somewhat tilted to the left and it looks like a solid rod in fuel tube. Comes with pump and fuel bottle. Pics to follow.

4. 8R Pete

8R Pete United States Subscriber

SistersOregon-Coleman I believe has the sparker assembly so the spring in theirs might work.

5. HunterStovie

HunterStovie United States Subscriber

@SistersOregon

I have a small bag full of those springs, and some flint. I have the whole assembly but I'm not sure it will have the correct knob if that matters. I've sent you a PM if you still need the parts.

IMG_0204.jpg

Mike

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  6. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

@SistersOregon ,

Glad to hear all is well with fires in your area!! We live in a mountain forest, and have had our share of windfires! So, we know the drill, and also the fear that comes with it. We'll be keeping up our prayers for all who live in harm's way, and also those brave folks who go to help them, and fight the fires!! Thanks for the return blessings wish. I always say, "Invoking God's Blessings costs nothing, but can give everything"!

@HunterStovie , Mike, good on your, my friend, for reaching out to our new friend from Oregon! You are a class act, always!!

SistersOregon, if one of Mike's complete assemblies works for you, that would be a great way to go. I seem to recall a fitting inside the tube, which goes between the flint, and the spring, as a "keeper". You'll need that, too, and not just the spring. Mike's a great guy, and his offer is most certainly genuine, and helpful, as always! Good luck, and yes, God Bless!

Doc