1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MSR MF....DF.... or WHAT??!!!!

Discussion in 'MSR - Mountain Safety Research' started by Doc Mark, Feb 20, 2016.

1. scouterjan

scouterjan Canada Subscriber

I just posted my MSR finds a short time ago. Untill a week ago I never knew these type of MSR stoves existed, great imformation
    thanks Jan

2. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/timeline#full1973e0
    "Building on its successful Model 9 stove, MSR released a series of next-generation burners, starting in 1975 with the Model 9 MF stove, that could burn kerosene, in addition to white gas and stove and lantern fuel. In 1977, the Model 9 DF stove was delivered, offering even greater innovative engineering and increased heating efficiency for better backcountry performance."
    Thats from MSRs own timeline The associated picture is of a smooth bell burner

3. oddball United States

Yes, you're right. Photos of the MF stoves on CCS and the Internet are utilizing the Model 9A design. Shouldn't the stove be named Model 9A MF?

4. oddball United States

geeves
    The stove in the photo from MSR's timeline you're referring to is a 1981 GK with the last production yellow pump without pins and a 1981 or 82 MSR fuel bottle. We're talking about the photo with the two guys on the floor lighting the stove, yes? So much for MSR being on target about their stoves.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  5. Doc Mark

Doc Mark United States Subscriber

Evening, All,

As I stated above, the answer is simple, and will be easily understood, BUT, as I am self-employed, I simply do not have time post the whole thing here, right now. So, please hold your water, and I'll tell you all about it, with evidence from MSR to support my comment, backed up by magazine ads, etc..

A final thought before heading to bed, which is calling my name, big time: The MSR museum is fraught with mistakes, sad to say, and several of the stoves are grossly mislabeled. Drew Keegan is slowly taking care of that. But, for now, we've found WAY too many mistakes in their listings, to use the museum info as documentation. This is simply the way it is, until MSR finally cleans up the mistakes, and makes things right. I have to say, this WILL happen. So, again, be patient, and good things will come our way!

'Nuff said, for tonight. I've been up and working since the crack of dawn, and have another such day tomorrow, and for quite a while thereafter. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. Geeves your comments are very good, and have strong validity, in my own experience. As a professional musician for 30 years, I've seen the same thing happen at big musical instrument and PA shows. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and well done, my Friend!

6. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

One thing to remember in all this is that it is not our job to name stoves. It is the manufacturers.
    We have to relly on the manufacturer and magazine articals/ads and lastly new in box stoves that have reliable dating attached. There have been a few NIB stoves lately along with dated cash register receipts that have changed peoples thinking on several stoves.
    Its the prototypes that will always kill us and often we can only guess and argue where they fit next to the timeline.
    As a side question Was there any stove before the MF (or DF if it was first) that used a combination of loop generator and roarer burner? I know the colemans were already common but all silent