1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MSR XGK II 1981-1994

Discussion in 'MSR - Mountain Safety Research' started by SNOWGOOSE, Feb 15, 2012.

1. snwcmpr United States

Ok, before you do anything with the yellow pump.
    Be aware there is a small teflon disk 'above' the pin in the air outlet end. "Do Not Lose That Disk" if you take the pin out and replace the air outlet hose.

There is a lot already written about that, and Doc is the Guru here for these. He will probably have a lot more to say about this pump than I.

Ken in NC

2. 8R Pete

8R Pete United States Subscriber

I see the disc its still there-pump wont be used-yes the disc is white!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  3. Doc Mark

Doc Mark United States Subscriber

Hey, Pete,

What do you want for your pump? if reasonable, I'll take it. Send me a PT, if it's available, and we can talk. Thanks, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

4. 8R Pete

Doc I just started a conversation with you-Does this site allow private messages?

5. snwcmpr United States

Oh Yeah, I believe they are encouraged. Especially about a transaction.

6. 8R Pete

Thanks snwcmpr!

7. ArchMc

ArchMc United States Subscriber

Wow, that looks just like my X-GK. The first time I used mine with the windscreen, the flint lighter worked great. The next morning it was so hard to turn that I couldn't get it to spark and resorted to matches. Apparently the heat warped the steel spindle of the striker. Even though I had pulled it out of the burner, it was still inside the windscreen. I thought about replacing it (Coghlan's probably still has replacements), but figured the same thing would happen again. I just use matches or a striker.

....Arch

8. 8R Pete

I took the part off the stove,removed the knob and using a small punch tapped the striker wheel free from the housing.I took some crocus cloth and lightly sanded the spindle.I then took a #30 drill bit and put it in a drill and spun it around the inside.The wheel turns smooth now with no binding.

9. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber

Poor old Rob, his XGK Stove Reference Gallery opus got hijacked to become a fettling thread in the end. His post here is still a great read nevertheless and contains excellent pics and observations @SNOWGOOSE

John

10. Doc Mark

Doc Mark United States Subscriber

Good Evening, John,

Yes, I feel badly about that, as Rob DID do a fine job in his opus, and aside from his miscalculations about the dating, it was stunningly wonderful!! I tried to talk to him about his mistake and pointed out where he went wrong. But, he was having none of it, and trusted the word of two of his old friends, who gave him the idea that the X-GK II came out in 1981. I might have done the same thing, in his place, if I didn't already know the truth about it. Sigh......... I hope he will understand, that I had to finally set the record straight, to keep others from venturing down the wrong path in this. I very sincerely hope that Snowgoose returns to CCS, one day, soon, as he is truly missed, and his wonderful reports and photos of being out on the moors, and in the mountains, are still some of my most favorite!! I admire, and trust him in all things, and I hope he knows that. Everybody can, and does, make mistakes, and I've made more than my share of them! But, if we all just keep moving down the road to knowledge together, sharing, and learning, and making sure that we get the facts right, we'll all benefit in the short run, and also the long run!!! Thanks for posting your comments, John. You're a good man, and a good friend to all who know and respect you! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Mark

11. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber

@Doc Mark
    Absolutely, Mark. Amen to Rob's return someday. A fine contributor, as are you!

All the best,

John

12. snwcmpr United States