Newark 2011

Discussion in 'Events & Meets' started by Wim, Sep 8, 2010.

1. brassnipplekey

Ian & I hoping for Thursday afternoon/evening.
    Newark again :-)

Nick

2. Rick b

Have fun boys and lots of pics please ;)

3. SimonB

I'm hoping to get along to Newark this weekend. It'll be my first meet and I can't wait to see so many stoves in one place! Should be arriving sometime Saturday and staying overnight.

Do people sell stuff as well as showing? I'm on the look out for a reasonably priced 123.

Simon.

4. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

I should get there early Thursday afternoon.
    I am still sorting things out after 2 weeks in France.

5. Simes

Simes Subscriber

Planning on Fri middayish till Sun, looking forward to meeting everyone again, and putting names to faces.

Think I have enough paraffin for the weather.....

6. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin Subscriber

Showers in the morning Fri & Sat & not the usual heatwave - let's see!

7. Simes

Simes Subscriber

Is that the usual heatwave with the lightening... ;)

8. Ian

Ian Subscriber

Off to Newark today... emoticon-00100-smile.gif emoticon-00100-smile.gif emoticon-00100-smile.gif

9. kev_c

We are on our way in the morning! Roughing it in a tent this year!!!!! See you all there

10. alanwenker

alanwenker Subscriber

Have fun mates.

11. SimonB

I've got to cry off now and can't come, I'm a bit gutted. I accidently bought a tent on Ebay and need to pitch it to make sure it is OK.

Never had a frame tent before so it could take some time......

I'll be looking forward to seeing some pictures of the weekend when they get posted.

Simon.

12. Big Si

Big Si Subscriber

Just got back from Newark, I live very close by. The field is filling up nicely, most of the usual faces have arrived!! The weather is not to bad ATM. Some rain over night but drying up.

Si

13. loco7stove

loco7stove Subscriber

Hi All

Due to work i'm afraid i cannot make the gathering this year it would have been my first, i'm so bloody dissapointed it's untrue. The railway company is having a family weekend where most of the staff will be out at attractions in London & i'm rostered to work, just the way it fell :( .

To anyone who was bringing bits for me i can only offer my apologies please PT me & maybe we can meet up at a later date :thumbup: :D .

I'd like to wish you all well & hope you have a really great weekend at Newark :mrgreen: :D :thumbup: Please post loads of pics when you all return so at least i can get the feel of the gathering :thumbup:

Best wishes for a great weekend from a sad stovie :(

Stu :thumbup:

PS, Big Si PT me with your adress so i can at least post the tools off to you :thumbup:

Stu.

14. davidcolter

About to pack up some stoves and a lantern and head off :-)

15. kev_c

Just got back. Great weekend. Thanks Ross for organising, and everyone else for turning up!
    Great to meet up and have a drink (or 2) with some good friends.
    Kev

16. davidcolter

My AGM M1941 cooking up chicken and mushrooms in a creamy vegetable sauce:

IMG_20110611_202603.jpg

There was so much I had to use two pans and so my MSR XGK was pressed into service:

IMG_20110611_202628.jpg

It was a late night by lantern light. My Coleman 242C is in there somewhere!

IMG_20110612_001842.jpg

Although it was only a brief stay for me it was great to see everyone. Cheers Ross for another year!

17. Big Si

Big Si Subscriber

Well I've just started to get a few things straight after my return from Newark. I really enjoyed it this year. A big thanks to all who when. I felt it was much more of an intimate gathering this year, a pleasure to meet new friends and catch up with some old ones. I really liked the Pub idea, thanks for Nick and Ian for putting up the tarp, lads you did us all proud. I'm looking forward to starting the fettle of my new stoves, thank you Trevor for the bits and the encouragement. I can't wait for the January meet.

Si

18. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Arrived home safe and sound 2 hours ago, despite some traffic jam reaching the Dartford crossing I was able to (just!) get on the 4o'clock crossing (I had booked the 8o'clock one :whistle: ). The missus was happy to see me come home that early (she had already tex'd me she was feeling lonely... ;)). It was great to see all these people I only knew 'from a distance', nice to put 'faces' to names ;) . Thanks a lot Ross for organising the event, I truly loved the relaxed, friendly atmosphere! (didn't like the traffic jams though, lost about 2 hours in total going up and got pretty nervous when trapped in another one going back to Dover :roll: ) and thanks again for the chicken masada (or something like that :oops: ), I enjoyed it! Thanks a lot to all for making me feel welcome, and I hope to be back next year! Sorry I didn't make any photo's, simply forgot about it :oops: ...

All the best,

Wim

19. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin Subscriber

Glad everyone enjoyed themselves! Tom & I certainly did. Very relaxing weekend although I'm actually quite tired & Tom & the dog are totally knackered!

The numbers where down this year with some regular faces missing, even some who were expected & some folk made their way home Saturday evening due to the forecast on Sunday. But everyone seemed to have a good time despite the weather. Good to see some new faces as well & some great items on display as well.

The 'pub' was a great idea & there are plans for similar next year.

Thanks to all who braved the traffic jams & weather to make the weekend a great success.

I'll post some pics tomorrow.

20. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

2nd year I've been and enjoyed (again) immensely.

Not many places you can talk about merits of this or that stove, nitrile or viton NRV pips, the socio-historical context of paraffinalia and not be shown the door.

Neither is it your average event when it's possible to return home with two Coleman 275 globes (K180), a gifted miliary Enders (Iani), a stainless steel mug generously donated by Big Si (because I couldn't decide which mug to pack and took none) and a Primus pils beer (Wim).

Good times, great people.

Many thanks.

John