Newark 2011

Discussion in 'Events & Meets' started by Wim, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Doron Papo

Doron Papo Subscriber

for those who weren't there please more pics

2. cabriolet76

cabriolet76 United Kingdom Subscriber

The picture with the lanterns has the whiff of blazing saddles about it.

3. Shed-man

Shed-man R.I.P.

Great weekend. Good company, great stoves and lamps, and not so good weather. But still a great weekend.

Pictures follow:

1. Iani cooking sausages and bacon (as he did most of the weekend!)
    2. Iani talking stoves with a top Lampy (Neil)
    3. Trevor with a sweet little "Primus" courtesy of Wim!
    4. My own sweet little "Primus" which is now in my collection. Many thanks Wim; and I promise to bring extra Sloe Gin next year. Steve.

1307994312-Newark_1.JPG 1307994341-Newark_3.JPG 1307994418-Newark_4.JPG 1307994436-Newark_5.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  4. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin Subscriber

Some more pics from Newark '11

Neil McRae & Big Si look over Mick Emm's sales pitch:

1308007570-IMG_2746.JPG

David Greenwood's display:

1308007575-IMG_2747.JPG

David's Tyers furnace, made in nearby Nottingham:

1308007582-IMG_2748.JPG

David Greenwood & Nigel (KL80) test the Coleman oven with pizza:

1308007588-IMG_2750.JPG

Iani's display - featuring a rare Supremoil Stove & some great cast iron stove trivets. I took plenty close-ups but I'll leave it for Ian to post them in Paraffinalia:

1308007597-IMG_2751.JPG

Neil McRae lamp display:

1308007603-IMG_2761.JPG

Neil dealing with a misbehaving lamp:

1308007610-IMG_2762.JPG

John's (Presscall) lovely, ornate, French Primus on cooking duty:

1308007621-IMG_2764.JPG

Gary (Redspeedster) hurls the Iranian stove in the Stove Whanging contest. The undefeated champion remains - big KevC!! His sister decided to have a go at the last minute & won the furthest throw for the 'ladies' & just to keep it in the family his nephew, Lewis (10) won the under 16's. A dynasty of stove whanging champions!

1308007626-IMG_2766.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  5. Doron Papo

Doron Papo Subscriber

Is it me or the pitch is quite empty?
    why the low numbers?
    more pics please

6. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin Subscriber

Numbers were about a third down on recent years.

Why? Not 100% sure but suspect a variety of reasons

The weather forecast was bad & we had quite a few people pack up on Saturday afternoon to avoid the rain on Sunday & drying lots of wet canvas. We've had worse - but maybe it was that experience was what put some folk off - it is a nightmare packing up a display & tents in the rain. Plus at least 4 people had other commitments on Sunday so it was good they came at all.

The date change - although the people with kids that the change was likely to affect due to half-term still turned up.

The economy - fuel prices are crazy here as I'm sure they are in many other countries & it's getting expensive to attend events like this.

Maybe I didn't publicise it enough? I'll announce earlier next year on here & CPL.

There were some no shows for various reasons. I heard a rumour that Basecamp was training it to Lenny the Lamp's place but then they had car issues for the next leg of the journey. I'm sure Mike will reveal all shortly.

I heard of a few other individual circumstances so it all adds up.

That said, we still had a great time & it was good to see some new faces & some new enthusiasts joining the regulars. We also have a few ideas for next year which I'm looking forward to already!

7. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Thank you for all the photos, really cool.

Duane

8. loco7stove

loco7stove Subscriber

Hi All

Super photos of the bash :thumbup: just really sad i couldnt make it :( due to work commitments :doh:, lots of nice kit there on show 8) :mrgreen: hope you all had a good time :thumbup: :D

Best regards Stu.

9. Rick b

Thanks for the great photos, didnt know about the Stove Whanging contest :shock: what a hoot!

10. mr optimus

mr optimus Subscriber

Superb pics as usual of newark i have not yet been but all ways look forward to seeing the pics of the advent hope fully i will be able to come next year or after.
    A fantastic display fellows of a brilliant collection of stoves lamps etc

11. Simes

Simes Subscriber

Great weekend again, a big thanks to everyone who managed to get there, it was great to put faces to names (again :oops: ).

weather was interesting as usual, think I have managed to dry the bell enough to pack away.

Someone suggested that the designer of the bowl fire deserved a medal, anyone know who he was?

Until he can collect it it'll have to hang behind the bar at the "Fettlers Arms"

12. Admin

Admin Courtesy of Iani

Thanks to Shedman for going out of his way, for picking me up. That was one heck of a round trip, Stevie Wonder !

I think I might give the Beer tent a miss next year, just stick with a packet of crisps and a bottle of Vimpto !!

It was an absolute pleasure to put faces to names.

If anybody has a taste for Cuban Rum now, Tescos are doing the 3 year and the special, Havana Club.

See you all next year.

Ross - I'll get the trivets on sometime soon.

Thanks again for a wonderful weekend, even though it was cold.

Happy fettling all.

Iani

13. kerry

chaps :thumbup:
    nice pictures :clap:
    even nicer stoves and lanterns, lovely.
    david.
    your tent :clap:
    4 poles with 7 crossovers.
    very serious.
    i like that.
    well done to all that went, to what looks to be a fantastic long weekend out :thumbup: :clap:

kez

14. davidcolter

It's a Coleman Phact X3, Amazon were doing them for £49 so I grabbed one. I took it out for a weekend in Wales and it was much more stable in high winds than all the tunnel tents on the site. Shame it's inner first pitching.

15. clancambo

clancambo Australia Subscriber

Not fair! I live in Australia-too far to travel for a weekend. (tantrum,tantrum,tantrum.) Would love to have been there to learn from all you experts. Hope you all had a fantastic time

"Jealous" Ian

16. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Greetings, One and All!

Dadgummit!! Another Newark Gathering is in the stove history books, and another year when Sweet Bride and I wished we could have been there!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: Someday.....someday..... sigh...

We have loved the photos offered so far, and very much look forward to seeing more, as those who attended have time to post them!! Well done, Ross, and huzzah to everyone who was able to attend this years Newark Gathering!! Lots of great stoves, lamps, heaters, and other neat stuff, to see in the photos so far, and I'm eager to see more of the same!

I missed seeing some of the Old Timers this year, but it was also wonderful to see those that were able to make it. I note, with interest, the ingenious wind breaks that are pressed into service for cooking chores. Our big wedge tent/fly offers something similar, and has proved very satisfactory at past events. In any case, it's a great idea to have such a place to cook.

May we all please see some photos of the Pub Tent in action??!! That would be fun! Was it a "Pay to Play" setup, one the house, or did each person do the BYOB bit? Any darker beers to be had, for those of us who lean that way? Sweet Bride and I have offered our version of an 18th century tavern, The Sow's Ear, at some of our Living History events, and that's proved very popular. In the past, we have provided all the beer, wine, and rum punch, but that can get more than a little expensive. So, we've not offered our tavern for a while, but have enjoyed attending those that been set up by others.

Again, well done to one and all who were able to attend this years Newark Gathering!!! HUZZAH!! :thumbup: :thumbup: 8) 8) :D :D We're very much hoping to be able to join you all, one of these years. Unfortunately, we have a long standing gig during much of the time that Newark is taking place. Still, one day, we'll work it all out!! Until then, we always enjoy our more "local" Stove Gatherings, and are both very much looking forward to the upcoming first OSG (Oregon Stove Gathering), hosted by BernieDawg (Gary)!!! I hope we have a good turn-out, but like Newark, if the numbers are small, we'll still have a wonderful time, and it will be great to see those who can attend!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc and Sweet Bride

17. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hey, Guys,

Are there more photos of Newark? Love to see them, if possible!! Thanks, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc