Optimus 199 Help

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by ms960, May 28, 2007.

1. bajabum

bajabum R.I.P.

Yes, the same cap for both styles of pump. If you have an older version, the o ring at the mouth of the pump may need replacing...
    May not !
    And only a few strokes are needed, as the tank will get additional pressure as it heats up a bit !
    Just enough to get some fuel down to the priming cup, below the burner...

2. aktopp

aktopp Subscriber

I have three mini/midi-pumps with caps. All of them have both a NRV and a pressure release.
    And this is fully physically possible. I have fixed two of them with my own hands.

First some pictures.

Cap and pump:
    cap_2.jpg

Then the cap dismantled, showing all the inner parts.
    cap_1.jpg
    The NRV parts left and the parts for the pressure release to the right.

The small brass "cup" (the part with the o-ring) has a hole right through, shown here.
    cap_3.jpg
    This hole let the air from the pump into the tank. In the bottom of the "cup" the hole is sealed by the NRV.

The o-ring seals against a seat in the cap.

I have tried to make a drawing of a cut through the assembly:
    cap_4.jpg

When we use the pump, air enters from the top, go through the hole in the small cup, passing the rubber seal of the NRV.
    The o-ring and the NRV prevents the air from leaking out again.
    When the pressure gets to high, the spring on top is compressed, the cup lifts a bit and the air passes the o-ring.
    Simple but ingenious.

The upper spring has to be stronger/harder than the NRV spring make the o-ring seal properly.
    Replacing the NRV spring with a stronger one is not a good idea. This may cause the whole thing to leak.

Hope this was understandable. If not I may try in Norwegian ;)

3. aktopp

aktopp Subscriber

So, the conclusion on the mini/midi topic seems to be that the mini is straight and the midi curved.

I am now going to add some confusion to the topic :? :twisted:

I have some Optimus 10 rangers.
    They came with midi, or was it mini, pumps :-k
    This photo shows two of the pumps.

minimidi.jpg

The pumps are identical, except for the labels. One is mini, the other midi.
    Honestly, I have not changed the labels

Please anybody, help ! [-o

4. bark2much

Thank you! aktopp! It was a great illustration. Thanks for taking time to educate me.

Live and learn, it is such a cleaver design, to incorporate NRV and PR in the same time spce.

I guess my pump fuel caps are from the older generation.

5. Lance

My best guess is they were using up old labels and as soon as they were gone "no more".

lance

6. aktopp

aktopp Subscriber

Suppose you are right Lance.

7. ms960

I received the fuel tank cap I ordered from A&H the other day, put it on, got a successful light. Stove light fairly easily (I noticed some fuel leaking where the valve is right under the burner) and ran nicely. After a few minutes, I got a nice blue flame. On one side of the burner, the flame kind of danced around and didn't stay tight to the burner, however. Could that be a factor of some dirt in the burner?

All in all, very happy to get the stove running!

Thanks everyone who chimed in -- your help is greatly appreciated!

8. Svea 121

Sir;

I loved the part you wrote about that incurable disease of stove collecting. My wife had no problem with it. Since she had seen two 111s burning side by side in a camp site and one boiling water while the other one is frying eggs for five people. She realy liked them. But my issue was with my friends. All of them serious campers, skiers and hunters. They would say things like "he is gone mad, he has eight stoves!". Back then I had six or seven. Now I have over a dozen. Let me tell you I have made all of them catch the disease and three of them into advanced stages. One of them told me that he lights up his stoves, puts it on his coffe table and just sits and watches the flame. Let's make them catch the virus.

Best to you
    Daryoush

9. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

I havnt got to the point of running them on the coffee table just to watch them burn yet but will keep it in mind for when winter comes. I have cooked tea at home on my coleman 533 just because I could. (excuse was trying out a menu idea for following weeks tramp). I wouldnt worry if you only have 12 stoves. You need twice that many to be truly hooked.