Oregon Stove Gathering 2011

Discussion in 'Events & Meets' started by BernieDawg, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Greetings, All,

Sweet Bride and I finally made it back home, safe and sound, just a little while ago. I finished unloading the food and necessaries from the truck, and we're having a snack before hitting the sack.

Both of us really had a fine time at the OSG, and thank everyone who helped make it such an outstanding success! Once again, this was in large part to the amount of planning that Bernie Dawg did in advance of this event, and we all owe both him and his Bride a huge "Thank You"!! :clap: :clap: :thumbup: :thumbup: 8) :D

For those that joined us for a day trip, which would be Uncle Pugsley and David OR, please send me a PT with your full names and mailing addresses, as we have a small gift for each of you for taking the time to join us all at the very first OSG! At the end of the raffle, which was hugely successful, we had two items left, which we unanimously voted to sent to you two Gentlemen for your efforts to come and visit us at Diamond Lake! As you didn't get a chance at the goodies which Drew and Steve, from MSR, so very generously left for our raffle, we have a nice MSR spatula for each of you for coming by for a visit to support the OSG!! I will send your spatulas out to you via the US Mail, before we head to our overseas gig, which will be very soon. We all appreciated your having taken the time to visit, and make the drive that allowed it to happen!! Thanks, Guys, and we hope to see you both again at future Gatherings, at which you can camp with us for the entire event! Cool!! ;) 8) :thumbup: :D

Take care, one and all. I promise to send photos and a report soon. Just too tired to do it tonight. We are hoping that the Dawg Twosome made it home, safe and sound today, as did we. Gary, please give us a shout, when time permits, to let us know that all is well, and a thousand thanks, once again, to you both for your efforts in making this outstanding event come to pass!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. I downloaded the photos from my camera to the computer, and they came out VERY nicely, indeed!! Lots of good ones from which to choose for posting here, which is very neat!! Again, I'll do this before we leave for Italy.

2. BernieDawg Banned

Heya everyone
    I've just now set down in front of the old computer box after unloading and cleaning and putting stuff away. Just wanted to drop a note to say that I and my lovely spouse enjoyed the OSG time spent with all of you immensely. It was a really fun time and it was great to "stove around" with everyone. The MSR reps were totally awesome and Doc Mark did some amazing demonstrations and stove talks as well as handling the Master of Ceremonies job in a superlative fashion at the post-potluck raffle on Saturday.

I've quite a few pictures, but I really need to hit the sack for now. Here's just a couple of the waffling:
    1315372416-IMGP0944.jpg
    making waffles with a cast iron Griswold #8 atop a 1912 Primus #7

1315372424-IMGP0945_2.jpg
    waffle

Fading fast. More soon. But, huge thanks to everyone who was in attendance! Thanks so much for coming to the OSG. Ya'll are great! :clap:
    Cheers,
    Gary (and Mrs. Dawg, too)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  3. BernieDawg Banned

Hi folks
    Here are some more pictures from the OSG. These four are from the great MSR XGK stove talk that Doc Mark gave:
    1315520850-IMGP0819.jpg 1315520819-IMGP0803.jpg 1315520831-IMGP0806.jpg 1315520841-IMGP0809.jpg

Just a shot across the camp.
    1315520869-IMGP0864.jpg

Cheers,
    Gary

4. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Morning, Dawg, and All,

Gary, thanks for posting your photos! It's great to see them, and I look forward to posting mine before we head to our gig in Italy. I sent off the two spatulas to Darren and David, and also sent a note to Drew and Steve, from MSR, thanking them for all their kind participation at the first OSG. I sent you a copy, Dawg, as this was your event, and you did an absolutely stellar job of planning, organizing, and setting up this Gathering!!! WELL done, my Friend, and many, many thanks for all the footwork you did to make it all happen!! I'm sorry that SB and I didn't get to take a spin in your boat and kayak, as we had wanted to do just that, as well as climb Mt. Thielson, and some other goodies during our stay at Diamond Lake. I guess the fettling, and other such stuff took precedence over the other outstanding things you and Mrs Dawg had generously and kindly arranged for us all to enjoy! We very much appreciate your having done so, however, and next time, we'll be sure to make some time for boating, climbing, hiking, fishing, and other adventures, as well as stoving and fettling!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc and Sweet Bride

5. Rick b

Great to see the photos so far, looks like excellent weather and great friends able to enjoy the beautiful area. Hope to see more pics soon.

6. yonadav

yonadav Subscriber

I wish I could be there...

Yonadav

7. linux_author

oh wow! i have a billie that looks just like the one in the 3rd and 4th pic!

looks like everyone had a great time - wish i could have been there!

thanks for the pics!

8. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Gary, as has been said, great job of getting this set up and thank you very much for your fettling and tolerating my joking. Wish I could have had more waffles Sunday, but I wanted to get home to take care of things, so all worked out without incident for me. I have a embossed Optimus 8 now I won the other day, so am only on the prowl for a 41 now.

Ron, thank you for keeping the two of us well fed for lunch and contributing to the potluck.

Very nice meeting everyone and their spouses where applicable.
    Duane

9. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Greetings, All,

Well, as you know, we had a fantastic time at the recently completed OSG! The BernieDawg family did a fantastic job of scoping out the campground, picking the best sites, and reserving it for those who could make time to attend what turned out to be a stellar event! Well done, Mr. and Mrs. Dawg!!

Sweet Bride and I chose to take the scenic route to Oregon, as Hwy 395 passes by some simply stunning views, which include Mount Whitney and the Sierra, Mono Lake, and the Owens Basin, amongst others. We stopped in Carson City, Nevada, for the night, and had dinner at The Firkin and Fox Pub, which was a hoot! In honor of all our UK members on CCS, I had to order “bangers, mashed, and beans”, and two pints of Guinness!! Ummmmmm!!

1315672022-IMG_0074.JPG

The next day we made it into the Broken Arrow Campground, at Diamond Lake, Oregon, to find that Dawg Manor was setup and ready to go, and Fuelish (Don) had setup his Airstream Trailer for a family visit later in the week. We quickly setup our own camp, which was comprised of our venerable and much-loved TNF VE-25 mountain tent, and our large canvas fly, which as some of you know, we use in our Living History hobby. The pair made for a snug and comfortable camp, which was our home for the first OSG!

1315672070-DSCN0799.JPG

1315672094-DSCN0801.JPG

1315672119-DSCN0802.JPG

Later, we were joined by Hiker Duane, RonPH, and two specially invited guests: Drew Keegan, MSR Division Director for Stoves and Cookware, and Steve Grind, MSR Product Manager for Stoves, Cookware, and Fuel! Drew and Steve arrived late on Wednesday night, after we had all turned-in for the night, and were SO quiet setting up their camp, that none of us heard a thing! I arose in the night to answer nature’s call, and without my eyeglasses, thought that two new boulders had quietly rolled down the mountain and into our camp!! Turned out to be Drew and Steve’s MSR tents! It was wonderful to have them with us for a few days, and they proved to be the absolutely best guests you could want! They were funny, informative, and very generous in many ways. A huge thanks to Drew and Steve for taking time out of their very busy schedules with MSR to come and be a part of our OSG!!

1315672198-DSCN0684.JPG

Both Drew and Steve took deep interest in BernieDawg's research and development of his outstandingly famous silent caps, and Gary gave a great presentation on that topic, and demonstrated how his caps work on various stoves. He also gifted our MSR friends with a selection of his caps, so that can both play with them, and enjoy their own use of those wonderful and very quiet caps! Well done, Gary!!

At the OSG, we all enjoyed fettling, food, fun, friendship, and frivolity, as well as some very interesting seminars. Of course, I had to offer my presentation on the history of the famous MSR X-GK stove, and it’s family, and I was very gratified that Drew and Steve kindly attended, and made some outstanding comments of their own, and some great explanations for a few unanswered questions regarding the history of this wonderful stove, and it’s interesting family of plastic pumps! I was honored that they both thought my research on this was pretty much on the money, and Drew offered to help me nail down just a few questions that we could not definitively answer at the Gathering. I’m stoked…. Can you tell?!! By the way, the “plastic pump issue” was covered in detail, and I will report on that later!

Back to fettling, I must say that BernieDawg did some absolutely awesome work in this regard, and he was kept VERY busy by many of our fellow campers, who arrived with laundry lists of stove ailments!! I would hazard, however, that Dawg’s biggest challenge, and most outstanding success, was in bringing Don’s “new” Optimus 199 back to life!! Folks, the repairs that Gary did on Fuelish’s stove were amazing, and I know that he sweated long and hard in achieving them!! It seems to me that this stove had a factory error, which, over time had broken off inside the tank. The fuel tube was WAY too long, and when the burner was twisted at some time in it’s past, the tube cracked would not suck up any fuel. This resulted in a dead stove, which was, as you may well imagine, very disappointing to Don! Well, BD did not give up, and he spent a ton of time, making this stove whole again! This repair would have been exceedingly hard at a regular work-bench, with all the necessary tools, good lighting, and all the other things that would help in the undertaking. But, Dawg achieved it in a far more rustic setting, and in, shall we say, far less favorable circumstances!! Master Fettler?? You darned right he is!!!!! WELL done, Gary!!

As all this was happening, Baja Bum and Mrs. Baja had arrived and setup a nice new tent for their camp. It was great to see them both again, and both SB and I eagerly spent much time enjoying their fine company! We were also joined by Uncle Pugsley (Darren), and his great Dad, Butch, who came for the day, and then later by David OR (David), who also came for a short visit. Pugsley had an old 111B, which was in sore need of fettling, so he, Butch, and I accomplished that task with outstanding results! Darren was an eager fettling student, and he and Butch both paid careful attention to how we got that old stove back into good, strong, and safe running condition! THIS is the way I wish all stove folks looked at fettling. Unfortunately, some are far too willing to skip the safety parts, and take chances using old stoves, sometimes much to their own detriment and harm! Darren did just fine, and I know he will be a good and safe fettler, now that he has learned a few tricks of the trade! Well done, Darren!

David OR, who is an experienced backpacker, brought some fantastic stoves to “show and tell”, and we were all envious of not only the stoves, but the tiny prices he paid for them!! As I always say, “if you look, you WILL find”, and David proved that, once again, in spades!! He also brought me a very kind and generous gift, for which I was very surprised but grateful! David gave me a very nice old MSR Model G stove, along with its companion Sigg fuel bottle! MANY thanks, Sir, for that very unexpected, but lovely gift!! Rest assured that, after a safety check, both items will be seeing lots of service with me!! I shall think of your kindness every single time I fire up that stove, David!! Many thanks, my Friend!!

Drew and Steve had brought with them all the new MSR stoves, which will officially be offered for sale early this next year, and they eagerly and kindly did a nice “show and tell” for those stoves! Steve did most of the presentation, aided by Drew when an additional point of information came up. Our happy band of Stovies loved seeing MSR’s new offerings, and I truly believe that we all agreed that they had done some great work in updating and offering these stoves! As some of you may remember, I have been a VERY vocal critic of the first version of the Whisperlite Internationale stove, as it failed on us during our long PCT trip, despite meticulous care on my part. That stove was certainly much improved when MSR made some design changes, and updated it to the #600 version, and now, with the new Whisperlite Universal, it appears to me that MSR has not only improved this stove, but actually smacked the ball right over the wall, for a grand-slam home run, Folks!! Now this stove will finally become what I wanted it to be when I bought my very first one, back in 1991!! I’m grateful to Drew, Steve, and all the good folks at MSR, for their outstanding, and continuing research and development, especially in an age where most other such companies are cutting back, and cheapening their products! HUZZAH to MSR, and many thanks for all the great work!!

Drew and Steve, unfortunately, had to take their leave of us, and even though I know that they would rather have stayed for the entire event, they honored some family commitments, and packed up on Friday morning. We were all sad to see them go, as they fit in perfectly, and were wonderful additions to our CCS family of Stovies!! They both told us that they were impressed with the level of commitment that we had all made to securing, fettling, and restoring our stoves, and the fantastic comestibles we all created on them during the OSG!! They have an open invitation to join us on all future events, when possible, and we also discussed some backpacking and river trips we could all share, too, which is outstanding!! As they got into their vehicle to leave, they pointed us in the direction of their now empty camp, and we found a very large mound of MSR goodies that they were donating to our OSG Raffle!!! What a grand and wonderful surprise! Heartfelt thanks, from all of us, go out to Drew and Steve, our new friends, for all your kindness and sharing, of information, fun MSR goodies, and friendship!! You guys were the icing on the cake of the OSG, and we all look forward to sharing more future adventures with you both!

“Russ-in-California” (Russ) joined us at OSG, too, and though having to arrive late, he was welcomed by one and all! Russ setup a spike camp, not using a tent, but rather sleeping on a cot in the open, which was neat. However, his fantastic cooking and kitchen setup was really wonderful, and it reminded many of us of the one that our good buddy, Big Jim Henderson, uses!! Russ arrived in time to join us for the pot- luck dinner, which was a fabulous success, and even cooked up some delicious fresh green beans, bacon, and onions, in one of his Dutch ovens!! All of the food was just as good, and those of us who were still there, sat down together to break bread together, and share a fine time!! We enjoyed: a great chili rellano egg dish, crafted by Mrs. Dawg; Sweet Bride made both her lovely eggplant curry over Israeli couscous, and, using food donated by our MSR friends, a cast iron pot of super tasty chicken fajitas; Ron made his famous Filipino hot sausages, as well as some interesting short ribs, which I called “elephant foreskins”; Mrs. Baja made her wonderful spicy baked-beans, and a three-bean salad, and Baja made his infamous mango salsa, both super hot, and more mild; and we also enjoyed the Dutch oven green beans that Russ tossed in, and some hummus, crackers, chips, and bread! What a feast it was, my Friends!! Wish you could have all been there to enjoy it!!

After our feast, we setup for the OSG Raffle! Baja donated three stoves; three more came from the Hobbit Hole, each accompanied by a copy of an Off Belay pamphlet that Snowgoose (Rob) from CCS kindly sent me a while back (Thanks, Rob!); Ron donated an almost brand new Coleman Catalytic heater; and Drew and Steve had kindly left us two complete MSR cooksets, an MSR frying pan, three full cartridges of MSR fuel, and a huge plethora of MSR folding spatulas, as well as a few spoons, and some MSR towels!! WOW!! What a treasure-trove of great goodies we had to give-away!!! Thanks, Drew and Steve, and everyone else who kindly donated items for the raffle!!! I wrote everyone’s name on a small slip of paper, and Mrs. Dawg did the honors of drawing the names out of an aluminum cook pot. As it turned out, here are our luck winners:

1 – Ron got the first MSR cookset.

2 – Mrs. Dawg got the second MSR cookset.

3 – Baja got a Coleman 400A.

4 – Russ got a Coleman 502.

5 – Mrs. Baja got a Sievert SVEA 123.

6 – Doc got the MSR frying pan.

7 – Duane got the three fuel cartridges from MSR.

8 – Don happily won Baja’s Coleman #2D stove, vintage 1929-1930, complete with it’s original oven, reflector plate, and very rare oven shelf!! A little electrolytic bath, and some paint and decals, and this thing will be mint!

9 – Dawg got Baja’s wonderful Preway Insta-light, and already has plans for it!

10 – Sweet Bride got the Coleman Catalytic heater.

At the end of the raffle, we passed out gifts, compliments of MSR, to all who attended, and even had two to send Darren and David, as they had also made the effort to come and join us for a few hours!! As I mentioned, the raffle was a complete success, and thanks to all who donated towards that fun!! After the raffle, I setup my laptop computer, and gave what turned out to be a longer than planned slide-show of the 18th century horse scout that a few of us from the Living History hobby had undertaken last September. You may remember that we covered over 100 miles in the rugged mountains of Idaho, on horseback, and in 7 days. Each man was only allowed to bring 6 ounces of jerked meat, and 1½ cups of dried corn, or equivalent. It was one of the most difficult adventures I’ve ever undertaken, but we made it, and did well in hunting, fishing, and foraging in order to feed ourselves. In any case, what was supposed to be 5 -10 minute slide-show turned into an hour, or more!! Great fun, and thanks, one and all, for the interest and your questions about that trip!!

All good things must come to an end, unfortunately, and before we knew it, the OSG was officially over! First to arrive, BernieDawg and Mrs. Dawg were also the last to leave, and as Sweet Bride and I drove away, we four waved to each other, already missing the great companionship and friendship we all had shared during this wonderful event!!

Thanks, again, to Mr. and Mrs. Dawg, for all their hard work, and also to Drew and Steve, for joining us in all ways during the Gathering. And, sincere thanks to one and all who took the time, and made the efforts to be a part of the very first Oregon Stove Gathering!! Well done, one and all, and let’s do it again, soon!! SB and I made the round-trip 1,600 + mile drive, and enjoyed every single aspect of the OSG and the outstanding Friends who attended!! It was worth the long drive, in all ways!

I hope you all enjoyed the Gathering, from my viewpoint. Next time, please make plans to join us!! I guarantee that you will have a fine time!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc and Sweet Bride

Guys, unfortunately, I cannot post this as one large report, as I ran out of room for more photos, and as I want to share 30+ photos, which were supposed to be included with the report, I will have to do this the hard way, and do it five at a time, it seems!! :-({|= :-({|= :cry: :cry: :doh: :doh: Please stay tuned for more photos, coming up as soon as I post this!

10. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

More photos:

Steve watches and listens are Gary demonstrates his wonderful Dawg caps!

1315672634-DSCN0692.JPG

Here are a few of my MSR X-GK family of stoves, along with a tasty spread of home-made olive tapenade, crackers, humus and other goodies that Sweet Bride laid out for everyone (Thanks, Hon!!):

1315672860-DSCN0703.JPG

Drew added some interesting comments and clarifications during my presentation! (Much appreciated, Drew!)

1315673032-DSCN0705.JPG

Sam loaned me some of his own family of these stoves, and though I only used two of them, I very much appreciated his kind generosity in sending his babies to me!

1315673072-DSCN0682.JPG

And here's a plethora of pumps from MSR. This part was a great discussion, and we all learned quite a bit!

1315673185-DSCN0704.JPG

More later.... God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

11. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

More photos:

Hiker Duane also very kindly sent me is new MSR Model 9 stove, complete with all it's goodies! Duane, this was very much appreciated, and yours is in much nicer condition than mine. As I mentioned at the event I believe that mine is slightly older than yours, based on the respective pumps that came with each stove. But, both of them are siblings and outstanding stoves, dating 1972-1974. Many thanks for loaning me this beauty!! I will return your paperwork after our Italy job, as time will not allow me to copy it before we leave. Thanks, again!

1315673689-DSCN0762.JPG

Here are a few shots of Steve and Drew showing off the new stoves from MSR, and one of Ron, admiring the new valve for these stoves, as well as a group photo of those there at the time:

1315673777-DSCN0720.JPG

1315673802-DSCN0715.JPG

1315673827-DSCN0719.JPG

1315673859-DSCN0723.JPG

Work calls, Mates, so the rest of the photos will have to be posted later, if time permits! I hope you have enjoyed our OSG, so far, and look forward to sharing the rest of it with you, when I can. Lots to do before heading to Italy, and we leave tomorrow!! :shock: :shock: :D :D Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

12. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Morning, Guys,

Time for a few more photos.

Here, Uncle Pugsley, and his Dad, Butch, learned how to fettle his old 111B. I was impressed by their attention, and questions, and Darren has a grip like a VISE!! He held the tank super firmly, whilst I used one of Stu's outstanding NRV wrenches to break the grip on the old NRV before replacing it. We did the SRV, too, as well as changing the fuel cap gasket, and resetting the cleaning needle. His stove was a real screamer when we got finished, with an outstanding simmer! Well done, Guys!

1315745660-DSCN0693.jpg

This very old Optimus #100 had stumped me for many years, until finally getting the stuck0-fast NRV out with one of Stu's fantastic wrenches!! I also replaced the fuel cap gasket, and the pump leather, replacing it with one of Brother Sefa's incomparable leathers!! In front of me sets the outstanding old SVEA #14, on which BernieDawg did some of fantastic magic to return to service. He cut away the old captured silent burner, and replaced it with one of his own manufacture. I'll post a photo of how it works, in the dark, a little later. OUTSTANDING job, Gary, and my sincere thanks for your skills and friendship!!

1315745932-DSCN0738.JPG

Here are two larger Enders pump tubes, and one from a Baby Enders. On the left, the pump rod in front wears one of my Dear Brother Sefa's great Enders kits, comprising a new leather, several Viton o-rings, and a special metal washer assembly. It doesn't get any better than this, Mates!! Fantastic work, Sefa!! Your Enders assembly works wonderfully with two military Enders, on large civilian Enders, and also the little Baby Enders!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

1315746175-DSCN0794.JPG

As mentioned, at the OSG, BernieDawg undertook a very difficult fettle on Fuelish's otherwise wonderful 199. Despite tons of problems, and primitive working conditions, Gary kept at it until it was a done deal!! Many lesser folks, me included, would have given up and run screaming from the campsite, but not Gary!! Here, he is explaining what he had to do, and why, to Don (Fuelish).

1315746354-DSCN0779.JPG

1315746378-DSCN0780.JPG

That little 199 works exactly as it was designed, now, after Gary's skillful fettle!! Congrats, Don, on your outstanding stove, and to my long-time friend, Gary, WELL DONE!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap: :clap: :D :D

More later.... Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

13. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hi, Folks,

More photos and comment from our OSG.

Here are two night-time flame shots. The first is my Radius 43, which is yet another formerly recalcitrant stove which finally gave up the NRV to one of Stu's "nuclear" wrenches! :thumbup: :thumbup: As you can see, it's got a very powerful flame, now, thanks to Stu's wrench!! Simmers well, too! The second photo is my very old, circa 1910, SVEA #14, which BernieDawg brought back from the dead!! As you can see, "the rumors of it's death have been greatly exaggerated" (if I may borrow a little something from Mark Twain)!! What a wonderful stove, and what a fine job Gary did in resurrecting it!! Thanks, Gary!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap: :clap: :D :D

1315746897-DSCN0784.JPG

1315746929-DSCN0786.JPG

And, as a special treat for all your guys in the UK: MIDGES!!! :shock: :shock: :-k :-k :doh: :doh: :lol: :lol:

We had a couple of warmer nights, which, after our 27°F night, and the following night, which was 37°F, the Midges decided to come out for a sort of "last hurrah"!! They seemed to gather at the lanterns, and here is a pile of the ones that gave their all on this old (1930's) Coleman! The inside of the glass was also filled with the bodies.

1315747114-DSCN0725.JPG

Ron and Gary tried their hands at some fishing, but other campers were out there everyday, it seems. Here, we find one stalwart fisherman, in his tiny pontoon boat, enjoying the battle!!

1315747209-DSCN0737.JPG

And, when camping at such lovely spots, you take you chances with bands of roaming miscreants, like those shown here!! Hummmmm....... :-k :-k :-s :-s Look like a rather dodgy lot, to me!!

Left to right, with Mt. Bailey in the distance, we find, Hiker Duane, Doc Mark and Sweet Bride, and Baja Bum. Thanks to Mrs. Baja for snapping this fun pic! LOVELY spot, Folks!!

1315747384-DSCN0730.JPG

More later, Friends!

God Bless!
    Doc

14. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Greetings, All,

Did we talk about the fantastic food we all enjoyed at the OSG??!! Yeah, I thought we had! But, here are a few shots of some of it! Be sure to keep your napkin close at hand, Friends, so you don't drool on your computers!! ;) 8) :D/ :lol:

Our potluck was a huge success, by any definition!! WOW!! What tasty treats we all shared that day!! Everyone did a stellar job in creating these wonderful comestibles, and then shared in the enjoyment of eating it! Great job, one and all!!

1315747642-DSCN0746.JPG

Like seagulls at the dump, we descended upon the lovely feast!

1315747721-DSCN0758.JPG

And a group photo of those who got to enjoy the feast. Hiker Duane was trying to lean back to that everyone got into the shot. He did a great job except that HE didn't make it into the photo! :shock: :doh: :lol: :lol: He's on the left front, leaning back.

1315747858-DSCN0761.JPG

Sweet Bride fed us nightly dinners which were as good as anything you might find in a fine restaurant! Here is a spiced steak, and special rice and veggie salad, along with a good, bold, red wine! She takes great pleasure in creating such things on our camp stoves, and hey, I take great pleasure in eating it!! Thank you, Sweetheart, for your lovely heart, and your joy in cooking on campstoves!! You are God's gift to me, and I love you for your enthusiasm for being in the outdoors!! :thumbup: 8) [-o< [-o< :D :D

1315748094-DSCN0798.JPG

One chilly morning, BernieDawg and Mrs. Dawg invited all of us to a lovely breakfast of home-made waffles, with fresh fruit, butter, and maple syrup!! Man, what a treat!! Here's my own plate, and you can see that this offering was both lovely to the eyes, as well as the stomach!! Many thanks for your kind and generous invitation to your camp, Dear Friends!!! Your efforts were very much appreciated! :clap: :clap: :D :D

1315748269-DSCN0790.JPG

Ummmmmmmmmm!!!! We are like Kings and Queens at the OSG!! OK, well.... there were a couple of Jokers tossed into the deck, too, of which I am happily one!!! ;) ;) 8) :lol: :lol: :lol: More soon....

God Bless!
    Doc

15. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Howdy, All,

Last time, we talked about the great waffle breakfast that the Dawg family. I thought you might like to see a bit more about that fun morning meal.

As mentioned, it was a rather chilly morning, and the butter needed softening. Hummm.... How best to do that, you ask? Why with a fettling torch, and in the skillful hands of BernieDawg!! (MAPP gas flames soften butter in a VERY short time!!) :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

1315748576-DSCN0788.JPG

Here is the vintage equipment which still does what it was designed to do, years, and years after it was new: A great cast iron Griswold griddle, and a Primus #7 stove, which looks like Goliah, but cooks so delicately that the waffles were absolutely perfect! Note the copper sheathing around the font. Very neat, indeed!

1315748750-DSCN0789.JPG

A view of Dawg Manor, with Sweet Bride watching as preparations are made to feed us all some fantastic waffles. Note the really nice boat, and read kayak. Lots to do at the OSG, including eating waffles!!

1315748914-DSCN0806.JPG

Another think that was to be found in the Dawg camp, was Turkish coffee, made in the proper way, with an Ibrik!! SB and I loved watching them make this neat beverage, and they have it down to a fine science!

1315749074-DSCN0816.JPG

Russ was also enjoying the comestibles in the Dawg camp that morning, too, and joined in for a group photo.

1315749186-DSCN0809.JPG

Happy Campers, one and all! One more shot in just a few minutes.

God Bless!
    Doc

16. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Well, time for one last shot, though SB and I took many, many more photos at the OSG.

Overlooking our campsite, at Diamond Lake, Oregon, was the weathered peak of Mt. Thielson. Called the "Lightning Rod of the Cascades", it is often struck on it's peak and flanks by lightning! Back when Sweet Bride and I did our parts of the PCT, we were planning to bag this peak, as the PCT runs right along the base of it's flanks!! But, as we had to throw in the towel on that trip, just short of the Oregon border, we missed our chance to undertake that climb! Camping so near this interesting and unique mountain had special significance to SB and me, and we felt it's presence every single day. Our plan for OSG, was to go ahead and climb Mt. Thielson. But, as the fettling was fast and furious, and as we were really enjoying the company of our CCS Mates, we decided to take a pass on doing that climb, again! Oh, well..... I have a strong feeling we'll be back at Diamond Lake, for more camping, both with our CCS Mates, and with just the two of us!!

We send our sincere thanks, once again, to Gary and his lovely and talented Spouse, Mrs. Dawg, for the efforts in making all this come together!! Also, to Drew and Steve, of MSR, Gentlemen, it was a real pleasure to meet you both, and thank you for being part of our group at the OSG, and for the great sharing you both offered!! Last, and absolutely not least, thanks to one and all who took the time, made the effort, and joined us up in Oregon!! Yes, it was quite a trek for some of us, but who cares??!!??!! ;) :D :D :thumbup: :thumbup: 8) :D :D THIS is the reason we love stoves, Folks! Using them in the outdoors, and for what they were originally designed, and also fettling the old, tired, and broken ones back to life, IS the reason we all hang out here at CCS, for the most part!! Speaking for Sweet Bride and me, we will try hard to attend every single Stove Gathering that is without our power to do!! Thanks to all of you who feel the same, and joined the party at the OSG!! Well done, Friends, and MUCH appreciated!!

Here is old Mt. Thielson, which, like a huge magnet, is already calling us back to Diamond Lake!! Hope to see you there! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc and Sweet Bride

1315750088-DSCN0817.JPG

I hope you have enjoyed the photos, and all the reports OSG attendees have offered, and thanks for wading through all of ours! Fun stuff, for sure!! :thumbup: 8) :D :D :clap: :clap:

17. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Thanks for all the great photos Doc and report. Outstanding job.

Duane

18. Jim Henderson

Thank you for the multitude of pictures. I was looking forward to reliving this vicariously.

What a great trip this looks to have been, even some opportunity to crank up some heaters eh?

As far as Russ in Calif's Kitchen, did he bring the kitchen sink too? Ain't the same without the sink. Don't make me jealous.

Wish I could have been there, but business and distance, plus I am miserly when it comes to filling the gas tank(popped over $70 on my car last week, jeez), so didn't plan to make it.

Probably the next CASG, I will attend. Not sure if I should bring Longanisa's since that appears to be Ron's forte. Maybe I'll try some other home stuffed recipies, or speaking of elephant "parts", I might do some grilled elephant Bholes, Portobellos sliced width wise, like giant Cheerios. They got that name when I fed them to my, at that time young sons. we had some just this weekend.

Ah well, will have to look over these pics again and even the past ones to relive the smell of waning summer air with some wood smoke tossed in along with the kero/meths/and petrol.

Thanks for posting,

Jim Henderson

19. SimonB

Looks like you all had a fantastic time. :thumbup: And such amazing scenery too.

Simon.

20. RonPH

Sorry it took too long to do the video/s of OSG 2011 as I was swamped with work. HERE is a link on YouTube. Some clips may be too long so you can just jump forward.

More to come.

Ron

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015