1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pacific Northwest Gathering

Discussion in 'Events & Meets' started by teckguy_58, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Fuzzy 5446 United States

Norman, is the stove gathering at diamond lake still on?

2. teckguy_58

teckguy_58 United States Subscriber

Yes it is.

3. Fuzzy 5446 United States

New to stove gatherings and wonder what to expect. Is there room to camp for me. Are there displays. Should I bring some stoves.
    FUZZY

4. teckguy_58

Hi FUZZY,

If you are driving bring your stoves and lanterns for display. If you have a folding table bring it so you can show off your stoves and lanterns.
    The K site at Broken Arrow Camp ground will accommodate up to 45 people so there should be plenty of room for you. Also the K site is a group site so it doesn't offer electricity but there is a water available but it has to be carried to your site. There are showers and toilet facilities available a short distance away. The Broken Arrow campground is at 6000 ft so it tends to get pretty cool at night. Bring along some mosquito repellent because the annoying little buggers are pretty thick this year. If you are adventuresome you can make some home made mosquito repellent there are some pretty easy recipes on the web.
    For most stovies the gathering is pretty much the only way we can meet other stovies face to face and get to know them so there will be a lot of visiting with each other. If you have a problem stove or two bring them along because between all of the stovies we may just be able to solve the problem.
    There is also a ton of stuff to do in the area from fishing at Diamond Lake to going on hikes around Crater Lake.

Cheers,
    Norman

5. hikerduane

hikerduane United States Subscriber

Bring whatever, lanterns too. Repo and I may get there on Thursday. Last Gathering, I went for a hike part way around the lake. There by myself a few years ago on a rare car vacation. Crater Lake is awesome, visited it on a free Park day.
    Duane

6. Fuzzy 5446 United States

Thanks, hope I can make it
    FUZZY

7. bajabum

bajabum United States R.I.P.

Norman, you are probably needing a head count. Count me one for Friday and Saturday. Do you know if there is shade at camp site "K"? Hopefully there will be more females there, besides NW lady and I.
    JoAnne

8. bajabum

I forgot to ask about restrooms. Are there pit toilets or better ones at site "K"? also showers in Broken Arrow? Thanks

9. hikerduane

JoAnne, showers and flush toilets. I'm concerned only five vehicles allowed at the group site, may have to unload then park in a overflow area.
    Duane

10. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

I am going to assume the campsite itself will be big enough if I'm able to make it. Parking elsewhere shouldn't be a problem.

11. teckguy_58

Hi JoAnne,

Duane is correct because there are shower and toilet facilities a short distance away.
    If I can get everything setup I will be bringing my portable shower tent and portable insta heat shower. One side of the shower tent is a changing room and of course there is the shower side of the tent. The showers at the campground are pay showers and if I remember correctly a quarter is 3 minutes.

Cheers,
    Norman

12. teckguy_58

@Ed Winskill,

Hi Ed,

The campground will accommodate up to 45 people so there should be plenty of room.

Cheers,
    Norman

13. bajabum

What about shade, does anyone know? thanks for toilet and shower info. I will gladly park in over-flow.
    thanks

14. teckguy_58

Hi JoAnne,

Sorry I forgot to say anything about the shade. There is shaded areas in the K group site, but tween the camp sites the trees are a bit thin.
    I hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Norman

15. hikerduane

Repo and I will be there early, camping Thursday night north of there for a night at Bunker Hill CG. Hope the little lake is good for a dip. Getting there in the afternoon. Food selection will be harder than what stoves to bring. Already have four or five or six stoves picked out. :) Should have parts today to make a 418 correct.
    Duane

16. hikerduane

Checking weather, 30% chance of thunderstorms, don't forget to bring rain gear, tarp maybe, will see if I can remember to bring a tarp. Cooler than where I live in California for the weekend , but night temps close to what I'm seeing all summer.
    Duane

17. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

I'm coming, leaving this afternoon. Plan to spend the night at Corvallis on the way.

18. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Have fun, you lot!

Cheers

Tony

19. bajabum

After all the work Norman did to make this gathering happen, you who said you would come, and didn't, should bow your heads in shame. There was 4 of us. Norman, Ed, hiker Duane, and I (JoAnne). Perfect gentlemen, all of them, except for the beer guzzling and belching. But I'm used to that, I have 5 brothers. Stoves we had, up to our eye brows. Weather was fabulous. Hardly any mosquitoes. Pictures to come if I can down load them into my computer, (probably when hell freezes over). JoAnne

20. z1ulike

z1ulike United States Subscriber

My head is hanging in shame. I really wanted to go but it was so close to the eclipse I just couldn't swing both. I'll be looking forward to the photos. Maybe next time.

Ben