Pacific Northwest Gathering

Discussion in 'Events & Meets' started by teckguy_58, Dec 4, 2016.

1. goldwinger11

goldwinger11 United States Subscriber

I'm a newbie to this. I went to the gathering to see what's involved. I came home having learnt a lot. Thanks Norman and hiker Duane. Hope I have the correct names.

2. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

Goldwinger, , I left Sunday so I evidently missed you. Tell us more! It was a good time.
    As JoAnne says, Norm did a great job of organizing. He had a truckload of stoves, literally. He is, as well, a man of a very generous spirit.

I'll report more when he and others have had a chance to post some pix.

3. goldwinger11

goldwinger11 United States Subscriber

Hi Ed. Duane said that you had left shortly before we got there. With all the stoves and lanterns there, I got my share of info overload. I've since been cruising these forums.

4. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Greetings, All,

We really wanted to join in the fun, but sadly, with Sweet Bride falling and breaking the ball of her humerus bone, and the resulting surgery to repair it, plus he twice a week pool therapy to help her restore full range of motion, we had to stay close to home. Had she not fallen, would most certainly would have been there, and hope to make another such event in the future, especially after SB feels up to camping and sleeping in a tent. HUZZAH to you few intrepid folks that did attend, and a hearty well done from us to you!! We certainly missed being there with you!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc and Sweet Bride

5. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

@teckguy_58 , Norman,

You did a wonderful job of setting up your Gathering, and SB and I will most certainly attend a future event up your way!! Please don't be disappointed by the small turn-out. That seems to be fairly normal, and you will have to learn to just have fun, not matter how big, or how small, your attendance. In all the years I've setup our CASG events, I never know, exactly, how many folks will attend. Sometimes the events are fairly large, with lots of folks showing up, and sometimes they are quite small. No matter, as we have fun, no matter whether the events are large, or small!!! I hope you will do the same thing, and very much hope to join you up your way, for a future event!!

Here's the mighty crowd that showed up for our CASG #7:

CASG #7.jpg
    As you can see, our "small, but mighty crowd" was comprised of Mac and his lovely wife, Sweet Bride, and Ol' Doc!!! We four LOVED spending the time together, and had a wonderful and very, very enjoyable event!!! We fettled some stoves, went for hikes, ate together, and I got some of my very best event photographs at CASG #7!! Keep the faith, and we hope to see you a future Pacific Newest Gathering, my friend!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

6. teckguy_58

teckguy_58 United States Subscriber

Greetings,

The 2017 Oregon Stove Gathering was a lot of fun. I truly enjoyed meeting some of my fellow stovies. As JoAnne stated there was much beer guzzling and belching but I did say sorry every time it happened.

Here is a group picture.
    On the fare right is Duane next to him is JoAnne then Ed and the funny looking joker on the left is me. JoAnne wanted to hold an 8r but what was available was the Russian 8r clone. Ed is holding his Monitor stove. Duane is holding an Optimus 111T and I'm holding my Optimus 111 Cobra.
    20170813_1029311.jpg

I showed up half cocked forgetting my camera but I did take a few pictures with my phone. I had more stoves with me then Carter has pills so in truth I brought way too many stoves. I only showed a very small percentage of what I brought. But in truth even if I did bring a camera I would have forgotten to take the before pictures and then the after pictures. I was able to get some of my nonfunctioning stoves and lanterns up and going.
    Fortunately JoAnne and Duane did bring cameras so I'm hoping they can add to the picture gallery.

The weather was pretty good with some overcast and a few drops of rain, but not enough to make anyone run for their tents. The smoke from all of the fires in the area was pretty much gone. It was warm during the day and quite cold at night.

I made coffee every morning with my Coleman coffee maker on my Coleman Handy Gas Plant which has been converted to use propane due to the fuel tank/found being rusted out. The combination worked out pretty good
    20170813_1155281.jpg

JoAnne brought a self erecting tend which didn't self erect and was very hard to fold back up so it would fit into her car. JoAnne has a great sarcastic sense of humor which fit right in with the turmoil going on around the camp.
    Ed and Duane had Coleman tents which were pretty easy to set up and take down. Me I had to be a bit different because my tent looks like a WWII quonset hut but it did serve it's purpose pretty well.

A few hours after JoAnne and Ed left @goldwinger11 and his better half came to visit. They were only there for a short time but I enjoyed visiting with them. @goldwinger11 was very helpful with some great suggestion while I was working on my Meva No1 silent. The Meva was made in 1964 so Gary made an adapter to I can use regular inner and outer caps. I was able to get it up and going but then I discovered a crack in one of the burner tubes so this will have to be silbrazed. The Meva is a bit of a strange duck with the fact it doesn't conform to pretty much anything that Optimus, Primus, Radius, or anything else made in Europe except for the appearance. Duane and I had to mix and match parts to get the stove running.

I have a bunch of MSR stoves and most I've converted so I can use a Primus pump. I did get an MSR XGK II. I have a non destructive means to convert it so I can use the Primus pump or run in on canister fuels. The stove does run great on Coleman fuel types, straight butane, butane propane mix and straight propane. The adapter is made by Gary and is setup to use a Primus fuel hose.
    20170813_1153381.jpg 20170813_115348_HDR1.jpg 20170813_1153271.jpg

I will add more to this when I get my thought a little better organized.

I will be organizing another stove gathering for 2018 but this one will be in Washington State. I've asked Mary, @NW Lady, to help with the planning because I think it will go much better with a womans touch.

Cheers,
    Norman

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  7. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

@Doc Mark @teckguy_58
    Both of those small meets look like the cream of the crop.
    @Ed Winskill has the best smile, and I hope to see it in person some day.

Ken in NC

8. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Are it hose
    Duaeb

9. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

I arrived on Thursday, and had the site to myself in splendid isolation until Norm and Duane arrived Friday morning.

The Broken Arrow campground at Diamond Lake is very nice; a somewhat typical Lodgepole and Ponderosa pine area common to the drier areas of the US mountain West. There is another large campground not far away on the lake itself which appears very popular and which holds possibilities for future gatherings.

Diamond Lake is only a few miles north of Crater Lake Nat'l Park and just 15 miles north of Crater Lake itself. I had never been, so I drove down on Friday. Crater Lake is not just spectacularly beautiful, it is a wonder of the natural world! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crater_Lake

I brought about 15 stoves, Duane brought several, and Norm brought numbers and types beyond counting. Just one example is the one he showed in his post-- cooking coffee on a Gas Plant! He had Brit Mil #2, several 111s; many, many others. His Heinz Geniol was splendid; I never realized they were that big.

More later......

10. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Ed Winskill

The Heinze Geniol is a great "work horse" stove for those times when you don't have to lug your gear to the campsite, and you're settling down in the one place for a while. I liked my first one so much, I bought a second!

Cheers

Tony

11. teckguy_58

@Ed Winskill & @Tony Press

I brought way too many stoves to begin to organize them in any reasonable fashion.
    The HGP is converted to run on Propane or LPG because the fuel tank/fount is rusted out. The 2 Military stove I brought were the British Army No12 and the Heinze Geniol stove. I fired up both and both worked great. The No12 stove has one of Gary's Top Dawg silent caps which truly helps keep this thundering beasty on the quiet side. The Heinze Geniol I removed the flame preheater tube and then used a windscreen from a Shmel 4 stove which in truth works quite well indeed. I preheat my Heinze Geniol with denatured alcohol.

Cheers,
    Norman

12. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

As did I. I really like them. Heresy, but I might like them more than a Coleman 413.
    I made a windscreen and it helps the pre-heat a lot. I use denatured alcohol also. I never use the rapid pre-heater. Pumping that beast, I prefer not to waste air.

13. bbsteinle

bbsteinle United States Subscriber

I would come to a Washington state gathering for sure! Maybe even ride my BMW airhead. Southern Oregon is a little far afield for me right now (not retired yet).

Basil

14. teckguy_58

@bbsteinle

Hi Basil,

I'm hoping the next gathering will be on the WA Coast. Still not sure when to do it but I'm thinking maybe the later part of June, but this is still up in the air. Once I have everything ironed out it will be posted to the CCS Events & Meets Forum.
    I hope you will be able to come and join up there.
    By the way I live on the South Hill in Spokane.

Cheers,
    Norman

15. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

A few pics since I'm home again. Ed is the big guy, Norman in suspenders, Joanne the lady. Norman had a ton of stoves. I brought my Optimus 22 alcohol, a Coleman Gypsy and a Radius 42 of maybe five stoves. Goldwinger is the last photo.
    Duane
    IMG_3818.JPG IMG_3802.JPG IMG_3798.JPG IMG_3816.JPG IMG_3812.JPG IMG_3814.JPG IMG_3804.JPG IMG_3803.JPG IMG_3799.JPG IMG_3823.JPG IMG_3808.JPG IMG_3807.JPG IMG_3821.JPG IMG_3810.JPG IMG_3811.JPG IMG_3809.JPG IMG_3825.JPG

16. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @hikerduane

Thanks for the photos, Duane.

Cheers

Tony

17. teckguy_58

Hi Duane,

Since I forgot my camera I'm glad you got some pictures.
    Thanks so much for sharing them with us.

Cheers,
    Norman

18. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner Subscriber

I love seeing the French Vesta in action. I'm not alone!

Ben

19. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Nice photos, Duane.

20. teckguy_58

@z1ulike

Hi Ben,

I have 2 of these Vesta stoves. The one pictured has a trivet that Gary made for me and the other one I use a trivet I got from Amazon. Both work fantastic.
    I wouldn't mind getting another one or two, but most of the stoves show up on the French eBay and the sellers don't want to ship to the USA. Oh well can't win them all I guess.

Cheers,
    Norman