Prentiss Wabers #2

Discussion in 'Prentiss Wabers (Preway)' started by chancho, Feb 11, 2011.

1. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Thanks Sam. That's different. I need to work on my rusty tank, splitting the sections on the #3.
    Duane

2. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hey, Sam,

I was looking around in the Reference Gallery, and took another look at your great post about this early stove. I have one like it, but from a tad latter, say 1924-1925, or so. Mine came with the funnel, and legs, plus something that looked like a bicycle pump part. After seeing your post again, I see that what I have is most, if not all, of the original odd-ball pump, just like yours, missing only the finger grabbing bit!!! I am also missing the fuel cap, which is the huge fly in the ointment!! AARRGGGGHHHH!! But, thanks for you, my good friend, I now know what that gizmo is that came with my old PW stove!! Thanks a ton!! Now, if I could only find a proper fuel tank cap.....!! :-k :-k :doh: :doh: Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. The rubber hose was actually threaded inside the metal tube, and only giving in to my curiosity is what allowed me to find it and remove it from the metal housing. Sorry for the poor photos. I have to get back to work, and was in a big hurry to take them! :oops: :oops: ;) :content:

1367784090-DSCN4267.JPG

1367784111-DSCN4268.JPG

1367784134-DSCN4269.JPG

1367784150-DSCN4270.JPG

1367784169-DSCN4271.JPG

Odd, how you find out more and more info, just by looking around a bit!! Thanks, again, Sam!! :thumbup: :thumbup: 8) :clap: :clap:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  3. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Nice post .. to all of you.
    I am way behind in gallery posts.
    I recently acquired what I think is an older PW 2 burner. No marks or tags. I did get it to light. It has a cast iron grate and a gold tank similar to the old Coleman tanks. I have a broken hinge to braze and then a paint job (this one needs one).
    And I think I have another one with my name on it in the town close to me.

Ken in NC

4. idahostoveguy

Hey Ken,

I hope to see your two PWs real soon. I'll be showing another PW No. 2 quite soon. I just acquired it recently for a song. I think the early No. 2s, No. 3s, and No.4s didn't actually have the model numbers on them, which makes it interesting to find a date for manufacture, so we have to rely on catalogs and advertisements.

Hi Mark,
    I believe your stove is actually an early No. 3, dated from 1922-1924. Take a look at Terry Marsh's website here:

Stove manufacturers I - P

Look about 15 photos down OR the stove just before my No. 4 single burner, which is tagged as owned by Joe Pagan, but is actually owned by yours truly.

I'm going to dig through my piles of rubble that I call my shop to see if I can find a spare fuel cap for you. Don't hold your breath because I might get lost in there or find a long lost relative.

Hope that helps,
    sam

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  5. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Evening, Sam,

I do believe that you are right on the money, and my stove IS the Model 3. Date seems right, too. But, what's most interesting to me, is that oddball pump, very much like yours. With only a few differences, which could have been an "upgrade" with the later model, our pumps operate the same. If you can find a proper spare fuel cap for the #3, I would VERY much appreciate it, Sam!! But, as I know how hard it is to find stuff I want, down in the Hobbit Hole, I'll understand completely is you cannot locate one for me. Many thanks for the offer, though, nevertheless!! Talk to you soon, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Mark

6. idahostoveguy

That pump is oddball, but hey, if it works, don't throw the baby out with the bath water! The hose and the connector are probably original. That is something that should have been added to all similar style filler caps, since, I've found, that it works perfectly well. It seems like an afterthought rather than original engineering, though.

I've got an AGM with a similar connector, so, it seems, that it wasn't specific to Prentiss Wabers. Me thinks I've seen an AGM advertisement with a hose connector like that. I'll have to check that one out.

sam

7. white8042

I've been working on restoring an early 1920s KampKar, an early RV built on the Ford Model T chassis by Anheuser Busch Vehicle Dept (to keep thecompany alive during Prohibition). Although I have "miles to go" to get it done (so to speak), I note that the advertising photos for the vehicle clearly show a Pretiss Wabers Model 2 camp stove.

My camper is the same type of Model T camper as is in the National Automotive Museum in Reno, NV, and there is a Prentiss Wabers Model 2 with that car, so I am confident that this is the exact stove that came with the vehicle when new.

So, I am now looking to find one of these, in reasonably complete and restorable shape, to complete an authentic vintage camping scene with the vehicle. Any leads, ideas or someone willing to sell me one whould be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

White8042@aol.com