Primus 41 - ?

Discussion in 'Primus No:41' started by BernieDawg, Apr 4, 2010.

1. gotnoeyebrows Banned

the trick is to cat it up whilst still too drunk to notice the bits of stomach lining, some of the cider round the cotswolds will take the enamel off a bathtub

2. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Morning, Dawg, and All,

Personally, I like the idea of a Meths burner on a nice #45 stove. I've liked it ever since the landmark 1978 book by Backpacker Magazine, "Backpacking Equipment Buyer's Guide", came out, which extolled the wonders of the "Optimus 45A", which was what you had there, Bernie!

Their testing of that stove, and it's kerosene-burning brother, the regular Optimus 45, led to the following review of it's merits, "... Stability is akin to the Rock of Gibraltar. Though kerosene is a much hotter-burning fuel than alcohol, we found the alcohol model remarkably efficient - better than some white gas stoves. The alcohol model primes easily, too". They liked the regulated Optimus 45A, and so do I!! In fact, I would like to see about a regulated Optimus 00A, too, just for giggles! Playing with Meths stoves, and especially regulated ones, in this case, has won me over. As noted by Backpacker Magazine, and through my own experience, Meths is certainly not as hot as other fuels. But, it has it's own charm, and at least for me, is well worth enjoying in that manner!! For what it's worth.... Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  3. kablamachunk

this is the sister stove(brother?...dunno how to tell stove sexes apart: labstah's i do)) to the green one above...what is the original color of this one?...what yr?(has AS5 on nickel plated tank) the burner cap has 5 rows that works really well both starting and long term(the pic here is of this stove on for abt 1/2 hr...cap is NOT glowing too red and flame remains blue pot on or off))...i find the pump action of this stove to rival the German smoothies...this is a very pleasurable stove to use IMO...k-chunk

1270655197-DSCN7081_opt.jpg

4. kablamachunk

from an earlier thread abt modifying a primus 41 to a field usable rather than home collectible; it has been suggested to swap the 4150 burner w a svea 1915...can one interchange/replace the svea 1915 w an optimus/primus 207 burner?...why not find another primus 4150 burner instead of a svea 1915?...pardon my ignorance...kablamachunk

5. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin Subscriber

As a 41 is on the bench at the moment this is occupying my mind. The 41 silent burner is as the catalogues state the 4151. From recent posts by SMolson & my own experience of my 41 fettle where I couldn't shut of the burner with needle down I'd suggest the 4151 burner works exactly the same way as the 4155. The rack & needles etc share the same parts numbers in both. The only distinguishing feature between the 4151 & 4155 is I believe the control knob. The 52 catalogue states as much. You do see 41 silents with both types so basically if you have a hinged control you have a 4151 burner - if you have a straight control you have a 4155 burner. There are different burner numbers again depending if you have a Primus-metall cap or brass - 4145 is Primus-metall, 4156 is brass!!

What you have there is the 3026 alcohol burner for the alco version of the 41 - the 341. The parts illustration in the catalogue isn't so clear but the stove illustration clearly shows the wicking material.

6. SMolson

SMolson Subscriber

Thanks again. To clarify, the following will be burner 4155 (kerosene): straight, unhinged spindle/control knob, can be removed from burner.

1365907372-IMG_2664_Primus41-crop_opt.jpg

1365907380-IMG_2841_Primus_41_opt.jpg

The one above is 'missing' its little connector sleeve on her spindle that hand-screws into the burner's stuffing box equivalent to help keep the spindle attached.

While burner 4151 (kerosene) has a hinged spindle/control knob attached to burner, cannot be (easily) removed from the burner.
    1365907397-IMG_2827_Primus_41_opt.jpg

1365907387-IMG_2826_Primus_41_opt.jpg

For the brass/metal cap, do you mean the outer silent cap? Mine are both steel (No 4209), not brass and identified as such:

1365907406-IMG_2682_Burner_cap_opt.jpg

More info regarding the Primus 41 needle