Regulated burner cutaway

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by lanevitt, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Pat_D

Here (above) is my actual burner. As you might be able to see, the gears on the needle to adjust the cleaner are visible and the needle itself has nothing to do.

2. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi @Pat_D , it looks as if the burner designed adopted a "standard" regulator/ cleaner spindle but only uses the cleaner needle function. As you have pointed out the normal needle valve function does not match up with conventional seating but rather a cone shaped dead-end.

However, in a throw-back to the very earliest internal cleaning needle burners, the needle appears to serve a dual purpose, namely cleaning and regulation of flow out of the jet, see earlier post in this thread by @dusan

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/primus-n-o-107-1937.12388/

When these dual purpose needles were first introduced in the 1930s, the cleaning needles were used for flow control. However, it was found that rapid erosion of the wire occurred and the integral needle valve was introduced.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  3. Pat_D

You suspect, then, that I did not inadvertently drill out a plug? The flow will not shut off in the "off" position (but will, or nearly so) in the "clean" position.

4. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi Pat_D, I don't know, as I have never seen one of these burners before. However, your photo does show a cone-shaped protrusion in the correct position to accept the needle part of a control spindle. In burners which use a needle valve for control the cone end of the regulator spindle terminates in a fuel carrying pipe, as shown in the cut-through burner.
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile.