Sigg Sigg Sputnik (Sigg Firejet, Switzerland)

Discussion in 'Sigg' started by presscall, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Harder D. Soerensen

Harder D. Soerensen Denmark Subscriber

Hello @presscall, @Doc Mark and others

I have just received my SIGG Firejet with original pump and a 1 ltr. stainless bottle.

The pump seems a bit worn out and is leaking at the seals, so before I start to buy spares etc - can I just buy another bottle and pump and use with the same "stove feeding hose"?
    If yes - which pump and bottle can you recommend. I have no preferences for platic or metal. Would something around 0.6 litre or so (+/-).

It came with no pricker, but I guess, I can use it without the pricker in its seating?
    Any recommendations on how to obtain a pricker are warmly welcomed.

2. ArchMc

ArchMc Subscriber

@Harder D. Soerensen Basecamp has the spring-type cleaning needle in stock (or they did in 2017). Part#FJ10. They also have a spares kit.

These prickers are incredibly easy to lose!

....Arch

3. Harder D. Soerensen

@ArchMc
    Thanks - I have an order ready for Basecamp/UK, but I wont push the "SEND-button", before I know, if it is better to just buy another pump.
    Where is that pricker supposed to be stored?

Can you recommend a good and affordable fuel pump which corresponds with the thread on my SIGG fuel hose/pipe?

4. Rickybob United Kingdom

this is an issue I have considered myself - the sigg pump is a bit of an oddity

sigger1.jpg

with the limited assortment of pumps I have the closest to fitting is the bulin multi fuel pump

sigger2.jpg
    the threads are different and the thread in the pump would need to be changed to fit the sigg fuel line

I have concluded that the only satisfactory way to change the pump is to fit a different pump connector onto the sigg fuel line

I did try an msr siggerfirefly.jpg firefly fuel line on the sigg - it sort of fits

siggfirefly22.jpg
    I don't recommend this arrangement - the cleaning wire needs to be removed to fit this fuel line so not really practical

5. Harder D. Soerensen

Thanks @Rickybob

Hmmm - odd - I would have thought it to be easy, to get maybe an MSR compatible pump which should fit the SIGG threading for reasonable money?
    (I am actually amazed how expensive these small plastic pumps seems to be :shock:)

Would it be possible to change the fitting at the bottle end for a mainstream fitting, and still keep the wire inside? - and if yes - to which fitting?

I wonder if there are there places, where they can "tailor-make" your fuel-line?

This is my first bottle-fed stove, and I really like it, so my endstate is to get it running - one way or the other, so any help here is appreciated.

6. HunterStovie

HunterStovie United States Subscriber

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  7. Harder D. Soerensen

@HunterStovie

Thanks a lot. Interesting how you fixed your problem. Especially the fuel line. Looks like it is running quite hot on propane/butane. I would like to run it on Kero/Coleman though.

I have now ordered some spares for pump and stove. Depending on the outcome I might get back to you for a bit more help - I hope that is OK?

8. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber

Not quite ‘off topic’ I thought it about time to regenerate the earlier reference links to the band Sigue Sigue Sputnik.

B9868534-54F3-435F-880B-30D35B945301.jpeg

John

9. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

How did I ever miss that band????

10. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator Subscriber

John, I think all that smoke on the moors has fuddled your brain! :whistle:

11. presscall

@shagratork
    Not at all Trevor. It’s not as though I was contemplating a ‘new look’ for me in my role at fire grounds!

I’ll stick with the bunker pants, T-shirt or shirt, hi-viz jacket when it’s not so hot.

1BE7B12A-3F41-4A17-8EA9-9B245DB4CCA6.jpeg

12. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator Subscriber

John, I enjoyed your commentary and large number of photos of the tragic event on the moors.
    It hit home more because when I was younger I walked those same moors.

13. presscall

@shagratork
    When I was up there a couple of days ago Steve of Mountain Rescue pointed out early shoots of new growth.

Today, after some rain (not enough to finally put underground peat fire spots out) this was the picture in one of the burnt areas.

BE180AD1-BAB8-4C5D-9ED3-68691E7E54BB.jpeg

‘Life springs eternal’ is the saying I suppose - but it’s top growth and the peat burnt has gone for good.

John