Soto Muka gasoline stove

Discussion in 'Japan' started by presscall, Oct 10, 2014.

1. SimonFoxxx

SimonFoxxx Subscriber

Hmm, I almost want to buy one NZ$229.00 here, plus fuel bottle.
    Cheers
    Simon Foxxx

2. tekkster

It's a great stove. Super high BTU, but also burns through fuel really fast. A 700ml bottle holds 480ml of fuel, which burns through in about an hour. So...burns roughly 50% more fuel for the same output as most 10,000-11,000 BTU stoves. Makes sense, I guess, as it has a 15,800 BTU.

There has been a rumor since the end of 2014 that an updated stove is coming out, that adds a lineal valve adaptor, and also brings in some of the wind protection technologies of the WindMaster, and a new pot stand leg system, plus an adjustable air intake. It was supposed to come out spring of this year, but still hasn't come out yet.

3. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Yes, I saw you'd posted details of that next generation Soto Muka HERE, Tekkster, together with this demo video.

Very interesting. Not out in the States eh? Not seen it here in the UK either.

John

4. tekkster

I contacted shinfuji, the manufacturer, several times and seems there has been delay after delay. Sheesh, it's worse than a kickstarter campaign. I've been chasing this new Muka (now called Multi-Muka in press releases) since the end of 2014. I ordered the Firebox G2 from kickstarter in June....already received the firebox....still waiting for the Multi-Muka to become available....boooo

5. presscall

@limesgmt
    You'll remember my puzzlement when I saw in your post HERE that your Soto Muka has a different control knob from mine.

I've since seen one available new from an ebay Australia seller with that type of aluminium control wheel.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Soto must have made some with that variation. Other than that, the pump and stove are the same.

John

6. limesgmt

limesgmt United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi John, that is the same company I bought the stove from. It was a good deal until HMRC "collared" me and placed a £20 charge on top.
    I have a feeling that it was an early version of the stove and that Soto revised the control dial due to it being difficult to see. I have to wear my glasses to use it.
    I work outside for a well known Telecommunication Company in North/West Yorkshire and the stove has been used at least twice a day since I bought it, without fault.
    It is so good I am thinking of buying another one to compliment my Meta 50 when I am touring on the motorcycle.
    Dave

7. presscall

Hi Dave
    Ah yes, I've been clobbered by the Customs once or twice too.
    It makes sense, a bulk buy by that seller Of Sotos with that dial.

It's good it's not let you down. A testimonial too to the Aspen fuel I recall you said you were using.
    John

8. limesgmt

limesgmt United Kingdom Subscriber

It runs exclusively on Aspen 4, I am just down to the last drop of the first five litres I bought, so in terms of running costs it is doing well as we were buying a brew from the local cafes or Costas at a couple of quid a time.
    In all fairness the Soto and Aspen have paid for themselves already and when the next generation stove is released I will definitely buy one for camping when I am on the bike, unless one of you chaps can recommend a competitor.

Dave

9. dsk

More than 5 years after Doc Mark, I got my stove, and yes it is great, but as always, when I fire up stove the wind starts blowing, a lot! So did try out to put up a windskreen of better quality, I have this Trangia clone, and the stove fits well with the legs turned only 90 degrees. My next mod, will be to drill a hole for the air tube. At this setup as pictured, I got 1/2 liter to rolling boil in less than 2 minutes. Im impressed!
    dsk

2016-07-03 14.51.14.jpg 2016-07-03 15.04.44.jpg

10. presscall

@dsk
    Ingenious adaptation, not least because that sort of power boiled the water and didn't turn the aluminium to mush!

John

11. tekkster

Wow, stove reviews dont get much more comprehensive than this. Awesome.

12. dsk

Went on with the mod. drilled 2 holes, 1 for the air tube, and 1 for the hose.
    New testing, in the garden today, slightly windy, and not considerably faster than without the air tube. The sound is more stable, and the matal was cooler after coocing . No scientific work, but I go for this!
    If you look close, you will see a little cord of telephone wire used to fix the burner to the aluminum screen.

dsk
    IMG_20160704_155702.jpg IMG_20160704_155431.jpg IMG_20160704_155937.jpg IMG_20160704_160152.jpg

13. hikin_jim

Wow! A Kap-Arctic Soto Muka.

When I did some testing of the Muka several years ago, I don't recall doing much wind testing -- which perhaps I should have. I take it that people using the Muka have in fact found that the stove is fairly wind sensitive; is that correct?

I don't recall ever getting my Muka to ever do a true simmer. I could get a fairly low flame, but not so low that I could hold it at or just below a low boil. I never tried it with low bottle pressure for fear that I might mess up the fuel-air ratio up and cause sooting or clogging. I'm glad to hear that it doesn't simmer better with low pressure.

HJ

14. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

@dsk
    What is the air tube you refer too?
    I only see the fuel hose.

15. Jeopardy

Jeopardy Subscriber

@snwcmpr I think he means this one on July 4, not present in similar picture of July 3 but I'm prepared to be corrected.

air tube.png

regards
    John

16. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

@Jeopardy
    So, not a part of the stove, but something that he added?
    @dsk

17. hikin_jim

Yes, it's essentially an air intake so that the stove draws in fresh air despite being nestled down in under the Trangia.

HJ

18. hikin_jim

Soto is now saying summer 2017 for their new stove, the StormBreaker. I posted a photo in the new Soto stove thread that appears to be pretty current; the photo is from a September 2016 trade show. They are claiming that the stove will not blow out even 30 meters per second winds (about 65 mph/105 kph).

The new stove is alas quite a bit bigger than the Muka it would appear.

HJ

19. teckguy_58

teckguy_58 United States Subscriber

Hi,

Soto refers to tube pictured as the O2 maximizer.
    air tube.png

Cheers,
    Norman

20. presscall

@hikin_jim
    @teckguy_58 and I had a discussion about that new Soto in THIS thread and it also transpired in his contact with Soto Oregon that they graciously replaced a defective pump at no charge to Norman.

I expressed in my review of the Soto Muka in my original post in this thread my concern that the pump is complex and non-user serviceable. I've yet to establish how complex when I take delivery of Norman's defective pump.

The pump is also exceptionally bulky thanks to its sophisicated fuel/air metering function, which perhaps negates (in terms of stuf sack bulk) the admittedly compact size of the stove itself.

I agree entirely with your findings on the Windmaster's effectiveness Jim and the Soto's ingenious valve creates exceptional performance for an isobutane stove in cold/freezing conditions as I discovered HERE.

John