Trangia DuoSSAL

Discussion in 'Trangia' started by RonPH, Apr 2, 2010.

1. RonPH

I found a $2.99 solution for frying eggs. Was on this thrift shop the other day and well, I did not have a ruler but thought that an aluminum frying pan with a non stick coating would fit the bill for just $2.99 - beat the hell out of buying a non-stick Trangia lid right?

1270393279-nonstick001.jpg

So I unscrewed the handle and gently cutting the attaching nut on the pan and filed it down smoothly. On the larger trangia pan the non stick sits perfectly at the bottom

1270393379-nonstick003.jpg

On the smaller pan, the nonstick would sit on the lip.

1270393440-nonstick002.jpg

Perfect fit :thumbup:

1270393486-nonstick004.jpg

And everything still goes into the kit flush and proper. Of course to cut down on weight, you can leave off either the larger or smaller trangia pan (whatever floats your boat)

1270393585-nonstick005.jpg

But for ease of storage...everything goes in :mrgreen:

Hows that for a nice kit :thumbup: And yes, the nonstick pan sits nicely on the pot stand and a bit fiddly putting the pot lifter on but still works.

Ron

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. hikin_jim

Nice one, Ron! So, when do I get some eggs? :) ;)

HJ

3. RonPH

Hopefully it will be present in CASG4 with the eggs. I have to try it out later. And tried again the boil test on 16oz water and got rolling boil under 7 minutes. Will post some pics when I fry some eggs. Might see if the thrift shop has one more of those alu non stick for my 123R also O:)

Ron

4. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Hey, Ron,

Nice find! Remember, when packing your burner and pot lifter in your new non-stick lid/frying pan, to wrap them in something soft, so you won't scratch and abrade your non-stick surface.

When you had problems in frying your egg in your new Duossal, how were you running the Trangia burner? Did you leave it wide open, of cut down for simmering? If wide open, then I think that may well be your problem, right there. I've found that, especially when frying, a full flame is not necessary, and can be too hot. Just a thought....

Again, nice find, and nice fit to your Trangia 27! It's fun to "look and find", isn't it, my Friend?!! :thumbup: :clap: :D/ :D Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

5. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  6. RonPH

Doc, when frying the eggs I was using the simmer ring. I mean I get perfectly cooked eggs on the stove on lowest setting possible so its the same principle with the trangia but I guess the non-stick is a much better option - cant go wrong unless you dont use the simmer ring.

Yes, its nice to go and find such stuff in the hunting grounds Mark. Two weeks ago I got myself a small air compressor with a tank and been using it since cleaning the car/s and confusers.

Ron

7. Matukat

Matukat Subscriber

Very nice solution and fit! I was lucky and found an older "open country" non-stick fry pan with fold-in handle for a pittance at one of the thrifts. I haven't looked yet to see how it will fit one of my kits. Yours looks PERFECT! Sweet.

8. RonPH

Thanks Randy, it was just sheer luck since I did not really had the measurements when I bought the nonstick and no mods necessary on the Trangia which is good!

Now my question to those who have both the Trangia 25 and 27 is I need to find out if the kit I have is a 25 or 27 so if you could measure the base windscreen (if that is where the size difference) of both and post it. Jest for curiosity's sake.

Now if I chance upon a nonstick fry pan that would replace the origina cover/fry pan, that would even be better (not that I would want to dispose of the original) but rather I have better options for different situations ;)

Ron

9. Doc Mark

Hi, Ron,

Just looked at your photos again, and I do believe that you have a Trangia 25, from the looks of the frying pan with burner, flame ring, and pot grabber, inside it.

Here are the measurements across the windscreen bottoms:

T25 = 8 3/16"

T27 = 6 13/16"

My money of on your having a T25, which is very nice, indeed! Hope that helps. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

10. RonPH

Doc, I just measured it and yes it is definitely a 25 alright as its 8+ inches :thumbup:

Thanks, thanks, thanks :D

Ron

11. Doc Mark

Hey, Ron,

Glad to have been able to help. Have fun with your nice T25! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

12. dday

dday Subscriber

Hi Ron,
    Great find! That is awesome that they turned out to be duossal and that they are 25 series. It seems they are getting harder and harder to find. I just picked up a 25 duossal set a few months ago after looking for awhile. They are worn a bit, but will fit the bill well. Congrats again and have fun with that great set.
    Dan

13. Lennart F Sweden

OK - this thread is old but - the short Trangia numbers have a simple explanation. First there were household kitchenware, then came the first simple spirit stove 23 and right after the first camping cook kit Trangia 24.
    25, 27 and 28 follows in the timeline - I think 26 was a cookset made in the 50's and early 60's when other vessels and in-between sets got three digit numbers, those old numbers are still found inside the six digit numbers used today.