Trangia Optimus 111T or 111C (Kap Arctic)

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by parramethtrol, May 24, 2008.

1. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Bill,

You and I think alike. Before settling on the BBQ lighter, I came up with a similar idea. I took a piece of fiberglass wick about 1/8 of an inch diameter and wrapped it with a strand of copper wire I stripped out of an electrical cord. I ran it up from the spirit cup to the top of the alcohol chute I made. It transmitted the flame to the spirit cup just as I thought it would. However it was awkward reaching into the top of the Trangia to light the wick. Also, the alcohol fumes were confined and concentrated inside the Trangia as was the heat once the wick was lit which meant I had to quickly jerk my hand out after lighting.

I have an old 535 up in the top of my garage. I'll have to get it down and take a look at it. I don't remember the fire rope you're talking about but then again I haven't fired it up since the mid-1970's. I'm sure it works great with burners open to the air. With the Trangia, the BBQ lighter stuck in from the side straight to the spirit cup works for me.

Ben

2. parramethtrol

parramethtrol Subscriber

:lol: yup that's a trangia for you but don't worry it's only a bit of hand hair that gets singed :lol: you get used to that if you use a trangia for a while as there ain't no other way of sparking one up using the meths burner
    meths isn't too bad but pure methanol is certainly a different story it lights with a fair old pop :shock: :lol: it still makes me jump on occasion :roll: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  3. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

4. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

O.K. I thought I was done with my Kap Artic clone project but I was wrong. It was blustery yesterday so I took my two new stoves out for a test. I thought the lower Trangia windscreen would protect the meths during priming but it didn't. One of the stoves blew out completely and the flames of the other where whipped around so much that the burner was heated properly and I had flare ups in both. I couldn't see the flames in bright daylight so it was difficult to tell if things were going properly.

To solve this problem I decided to see if I could come up with a windscreen for the spirit cup like my 111t Hiker has. I discovered that an aluminum can is the perfect size so I fashioned a prototype windscreen out of a club soda can. However, trying it out I accidentally over filled the spirit cup with meths and the windscreen melted.

I decided I was on the right track but that the aluminum was too thin. So, I drank a couple of beers and used the cans to make a double walled windscreen. I simply cut one can and inserted it into the other like this:

pic1.jpg

That gave me a tubular piece of double thickness aluminum.

pic2.jpg

I folded over the top and bottom edges to strengthen the ends and keep the two pieces of aluminum together. I cut the pattern using a pair of small scissors and cut the holes with punches (it's really hard to drill metal that thin).

pic3.jpg

Here's what the finished windscreen looks like fitted to the 111t burner and Tuevos adapter plate. (The hole in front is so I stick a BBQ lighter in to light the meths)

pic4.jpg

Looking at the bottom you can see there is plenty of space for air to enter around the spirit cup.

pic5.jpg
    This is what it looks like installed. I've tested the stove by purposely overfilling the spirt cup with meths and the double walled windscreen holds up to the intense heat perfectly.

pic6.jpg

To wind test it I used an air hose to blow air into the Trangia bottom. The meths kept burning. Now I can make coffee in a hurricane. I'm quite sure my Trangia will blow away before the meths blows out.

5. Knight84

Wonderful work and tasty idea Ben! :clap: :clap: :clap: :mrgreen:

I believe you have taken this stove to a whole new level. I hope Trangia is watching.
    Gunnar Finn would be proud I believe.

Cheers,
    Jeff

6. RonPH

Nice work Ben. I might do that also as I do need a windscreen for my Primus 41 but will make one out of brass sheet and will post it when complete.

Ron

7. larast

I have an question I hope you can answer.
    I'm going to customize a hike burner and I need some parts for it. It says on Ultima Naltio that the parts I need is a fuel hose adapter for Primus stoves and also a burner adapter for fitting the Primus burner into the Trangia windscreen. Can you help me with this?

8. parramethtrol

parramethtrol Subscriber

try sending Keron a pm he is a member here Link

or use the email addy on their website luontol@adnainternet.net

or message through their ebay shop Link

they are reputable so no worries on sending payments to them and shipping is fast and reasonably priced

sorry :oops:
    where are my manners :whistle: welcome to the forum/mad house

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  9. mojofilter

I need one of these adaptor sets so bad! :lol:

I have emailed the ebay link and just hope they are still available!

10. jscottyk

Hello All! Long-time lurker, first time poster.

Does anyone know if these adapters are still available? Looks like website is still up but no comms. I left a message at ebay and also e-mail. No reply to the message left at ebay and e-mails bounce back with a ""User unknown".

11. RonPH

Check Ebay has got 2 ADs for it.

12. jscottyk

Hmm? I'm not seeing them at eBay.

13. theyellowdog

I emailed them via ebay recently. They did get back to me after about a week.

Dan

14. RonPH

Do an Ebay search keyword "trangia".

15. jscottyk

Yep. Searched on "trangia", "Ultima Naltio", also viewed everything for sale by 66latitude. Nada.

16. parramethtrol

parramethtrol Subscriber

so did i :rage: god you yanks get all the good kit :mrgreen: if it wasn't for the post/shipping i could spend a wad in a few seconds flat :lol:

17. RonPH

Well sometimes UK Ebay does have some good bargains which we Yanks would love to spend on if it were not for the incredible postage and restrictions.

18. jscottyk

:doh: I'm scratching my head. Initially I thought, "well maybe he's seeing this stuff on the UK ebay site" so I searched there too. Same result. Nada.

Maybe ebay is filtering us Texans out for this item. :o

If anybody finds an adapter on ebay can you post a link over in Auction Watch?

19. theyellowdog

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  20. jscottyk

Yes, I understand. Maybe I'm not being clear. I did post a question to 66latitude on 24 Sept. As mentioned in my original question I have also attempt to reach them here at CCS and via e-mail.

The reason I'm asking for specific ebay item references is because RonPH made noted that two items listed and I cannot see those items.