What kind of collector are you?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by gremlin70, Feb 2, 2016.

1. cooleman

I was a user then I start to collect after I found this site.Shame on you Ross ah ah.

Cooleman

2. D21400

I'm a user. I do collect a bit but have only 2 classic Stoves so i don't know if it counts. :lol:

My first stove was a Trangia 27-9. I bought it for a trip along the coast. It was a brand new one too! Great stove!!
    Then a few years later I came across a Primus 210 on Ebay. No idea why I bought it but it looked nice. It came in a rather big metal thin which I converted in a woodstove. That project completely failed!.
    I typed "Primus 210" into google and stumbled across this site. (The previous version) Got enough information to fire it up. Used it a few times but I stopped using it.
    Recently soemone sold a Optimus 8R which I bought. That reminded me of this place and here we are...

Dries

3. teckguy_58

teckguy_58 United States Subscriber

I started at 16 and only had 3 stoves I had a couple of Coleman stoves 502, 413. My first backpacking stove was the Optimus 80 and BTW I still have it and yes it still runs great the tin is a bit beaten up but still more than usable. It really started to balloon after I joined what was Spiritburner.com. Since then I've picked up several Optimus, Primus, Radius, British, Soviet, German and then more than I can remember. Then if the stove was a bit unusual I would get it. Then the very large Coleman Handy Gas Plants most of which are for parts. The 460 has a sound fuel tank/fount, but all of the 457 came with junk fuel tanks/founts. I did get the 457 up and running by using a unregulated propane converter. Then came the obsolete stoves that run on proprietary fuel canisters and these stoves were converted to run on the modern fuel canisters. Then the dangerous stoves like the Coleman 501 and the 501A. The 501's have been converted to run on Butane. The 501A's can run on both Butane and Coleman fuel types. I have a couple of M2A stoves and one of them is unfired. Then I branched out to lanterns for Europe, America, Australia. Most of the lanterns are users, but some still need to be fettled. Most of my Coleman Lanterns have been converted to run on Kerosene/Paraffin. Then came the Blow Torches and fortunately I only have 6 which is manageable.
    I did sell off some of my stoves, but then I added almost twice as many to the collection as what I sold. I guess it is like someone who loses a lot of weight and then gains back twice as much weight.
    I have slowed down quite a bit due to the prices of stoves getting outrageous in price. Granted it is the buyers that set the price and if I come across a stove that is on my got-to-have list well what can I say except I end up paying more than what I intended. Mostly what I look for these days is stove parts for some of my stoves that are no longer made.
    What can I say except stove, lantern and blowtorch collecting is an addiction with no cure in sight.

Cheers,
    Norman

4. kerry460

kerry460 Australia R.I.P.

Norman , well said .
    i think those basic symptoms will fit an awful lot of us .

cheers
    kerry