Women at CCS?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by John Paul Appleyard Green, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @John Paul Appleyard Green

Great photos!

(One of the good things about this (now not so new) CCS platform is that you can upload all of your photos, then choose the order they appear in regardless of their sequence in the upload).

Cheers

Tony

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  2. John Paul Appleyard Green

John Paul Appleyard Green Subscriber

3. BradB

BradB United States Subscriber

Great and varied thread. As to women stovies, early in our marriage my wife, on her own, decided to upgrade her primitive husband (me) from campfire only camping. She found a new unused Optimus 8R, a Coleman lantern, and a two burner Coleman suitcase. I blame her completely for my current stove obsession. All you canoeists have me all fired up. I had a great solo trip into the Adirondacks last fall and this August I am taking two of my grandkids, 10 yr old girl and 9 yr old boy, and their dad on a Boundary Waters trip in Minnesota. I still like to backpack but a canoe trip is as good as it gets. Thanks for all the great pics and comments. Brad

4. OMC

OMC United States Subscriber

@Joaniek
    @John Paul Appleyard Green

Hello again Joanie, John,
    This 2nd Florida canoeing OP was a heads-up to Joanie. I'm happy to bump this, both of your canoe camp posts are fantastic action posts and impressive on many levels. The impression I get is Joanie and crew hauled all their gear onboard and set up camp along the way for 9 days of paddling. Quite an adventure, does a trip like that ever go off w/o a hitch?
    I'm unclear if current assisted much of the way? For me, I tend to like to go with the flow... while canoeing anyway.

John, While I'm here, stove suggestion: When using a silent burner brassie in any wind you will want a folding windscreen if you haven't acquired one already.
    thx omc

5. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

Nice kettle, what are you pouring into?
    I see it in the other photos now.

6. John Paul Appleyard Green

@snwcmpr ... At least in this photo I wasn't pouring on my foot.

7. John Paul Appleyard Green

@OMC ... We were fortunate in having calm weather while cooking outdoors. Thank you for the tip regarding wind screens.

I think that @Joaniek did it the old-fashioned way. Trucking needs site-to-site by canoe. When Jody and I have done this we've mostly had good luck.

We did have the experience of watching a storm come toward our knoll-top Algonquin Provincial Park campsite from across a lake. Knocked our tent flat. We hid down in a dingle as the lightning crashed around us.

And we've beaten diagonally into whitecaps, crossing a lake into headwinds, water lapping at the gunnels.

There's less excitement caravan camping.

8. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

I am quite sure the dual plaid would not have allowed the liquid to pour that close. :)

9. John Paul Appleyard Green

@snwcmpr ... You're correct. Even my wife says the double plaid is repellent.