British military No.3 revealed

Discussion in 'Military' started by presscall, Mar 3, 2010.

1. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Heck no and no apology necessary, we'll just continue where you've left off.

2. Pierre Debono

Hi, I have acquired a No3 stove and was wondering if anyone has converted one to run on paraffin.....

3. presscall

Welcome to CCS @Pierre Debono
    It's not just a case of installing smaller bore jets (if there were such a thing) but although a burner can be got hot enough - using a blowtorch - to vapourise paraffin, once the torch is taken away it doesn't stay hot enough to maintain vapourisation with the existing burners.

The only 'plate' (as opposed to 'tubular') burners of that size, on a Primus 100 say, have a thin-walled 'lipstick' vapouriser tube on which the burner head is mounted. The No.3 burners have a burner riser that's useless for conducting enough heat to vapourise paraffin to the fuel passing through it.

Work out some adaptor and replace the existing burners with a couple of Primus No.1 roarer burners, or No.5 silent burners and they'd work fine.

John

4. crazydave789

I've got one of these in the garage, inside the matching oven that goes on top.

flipping heavy way to do things but I got both for 40 quid delivered must be 12 years ago. the problem was when I let the missus try to get it hot she cranked it up and scorched all the paint from the inside base.

5. presscall

Classed as ‘patina’ Dave, honourably acquired.

John

6. crazydave789

does that include the bashed corner on the oven? it was there when I got it but having lugged these things on and off the cook trailers I wasn't overly surprised it had one.

7. presscall

Absolutely.