So, what does crow taste like? (Nova recall)

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by anlrolfe, Oct 20, 2010.

1. anlrolfe

After several e-mails to Katadyn reps concerning my recalled Nova I decided that even though they offered to fully refund my purchase that it would only be fair to run it through its paces before making too hasty a decision.

The 1st results looks to be a burner that runs smoother with a higher output than it has even had. When I 1st got it it was so gummed up with silicone grease that I couldn't get reliable flow. As part of the recall they replaced the fuel tube rebuilt the burner valve w/ new o-rings and and in the process improved overall performance.

AR

2. Knight84

Sounds like they are having some problems with the recall.
    The design of the connection is flawed I believe.

I look forward to your testing/review

Jeff

3. anlrolfe

Think you may have misunderstood.

Oct 2009 new out of box = fouled & pulsating

Oct 2010 back from recall = runs hot & strong

AR

4. Knight84

No I understand.

I am just pissed off since they haven't got back to me yet. I want a refund. I am done with new Optimus stoves.

I am glad yours is working like a champ now though.

Jeff

5. linux_author

i have to echo this, although there's not much that can go wrong w/the Crux gassies...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  6. anlrolfe

Four days and swollen o-rings foil what I thought could be a good fix.

This is my response to Katadyn.

Any guesses on how all this LIABILITY will pan out over defective products and failed repairs??

AR

7. parramethtrol

parramethtrol Subscriber

hi Andy
    it might be time to torch that tent you wish you hadn't bought ;) :lol: went up in a fireball when you tested the repaired stove they sent back :whistle: :lol:

8. ArcticFlame

Great. :(

Forget about repairs and bayonet coupling.
    Let Katadyn have your stove modify to a proven 2nd generation Nova. Period.

juergen

9. anlrolfe

They way that those parts are "no longer available"

I've got two choices:

1) Wait and get it rebuilt.

2) Send it back and get a refund.

In all honesty, I like the metal pump and believe that it will hold up to the test of time. On the other hand, I hate tubes and o-rings.

AR

10. ArcticFlame

That's a bit strange.
    I ordered several old parts a few weeks ago.

Anyway, in the worst case I could rebuild one for you including an old style pump,in case you have a Nova and not Nova+.

The (old)Optimus metal pump is indeed very reliable.
    The only one that never failed in very low temperatures. (I tried out MSR, Primus, Markill, Coleman...)

I have them in use since 2003 during winter trips in Northern Lappland.
    The O-ring inside the CEJN connector is certified for at least -30 degrees and not made in C....
    http://www.cejn.com/Products/Fluids/Classic-Couplings--nipples/Series-141/

The 2 remaining O-rings (Primus only uses 1 O-ring here) are around the control valve spindle.
    Properly greased with silicone they never failed.
    In use you get around +30 to +40 degree at the sealing area anyway, the spindle housing tube gets warmed up by the burner/generator quite fast.

juergen

11. anlrolfe

ArcticFlame,

I greatly appreciate the offer to help rebuild and refit my Nova. If this was an old used stove I'd take you up on it in a minute. Unfortunately, the amount of email and personal frustration that I have vested in this has now got me "charging windmills". I'll sit on this as long as it takes to hatch a properly repaired stove!

My years experience in the military, as a construction electrician and now as an instructor have taught me that you rarely point out a problem unless you either "have the solution" or "are asking for help". I find it hard to think that a producer and retainer on the scope of Katadyn.se would be asking for help so I assume that when they announced a "voluntary recall" they must have fully understood the problem and were ready to implement a solution. My last correspondence w/ Optimus reps stated that,

To me this says that their solution did not work as they planned. I have this vision of crates of useless o-rings stacked in a Katadyn North America warehouse purchased at a cut rate price that swell out of control the second they get hit w/ fuel.

All I can say for sure is that anyone in "Nova limbo" needs to be patient because I can't see a solution taking place any time soon. I would advise not modifying your stoves at this time especially do to the recall. Anything that YOU choose to do to or with the stove transfers liability from them to YOU. I'd strongly suggest leaving all repairs and financial burden for Optimus/Katadyn to sort out.

AR

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  12. ArcticFlame

AR,
    nevertheless I stand to my offer :mrgreen:

My situation of course is different.
    I was well aware of the problems long before the recall started. In my opinion the overall design changes since Katadyn took over Optimus are simply faulty.
    To build some KAP Arctics I needed 2nd version Novas which were no longer available.
    So I decided to rebuild new ones to the old version.

When you are out, several days away from civilization and during polar night, your eqipment just has to perform flawlessly.

cheers
    juergen

13. BernieDawg Banned

Hi Juergen
    I'm wondering if you know of an online source for the CEJN coupler valves where a feller could buy 3-4 or a dozen? And, which part numbers for the two components (male/female) should one ask for? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide since I seem to be having a bit of trouble making contacts for these items here in the States.

Cheers,
    Gary

14. ArcticFlame

Hi Gary.
    Glad to see you here, I need a few more silent heads ;)

On the coupling it only says "141-1180"
    The nipple is the hose version, 3 mm.

There is no real source for small quantities.
    I got mine from Katadyn Germany.
    I can phone them next week to see how many I could still get.
    But they don't have spare nipples.
    You need complete Nova hoses with nipples.

I will let you know what will be possible.
    Shipping to the US is no problem for me.

If you plan to run a Nova on LPG, here you can see my latest adapter for cartridges with CEJN coupling.

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/16247

Scroll down for details.

In case you plan to silbraze the coupling to something else I can give you a detailed description on how to disassemble/reassemble the coupling. You need to do that, the inner sealings could otherwise get damaged by high temperatures.

juergen

15. BernieDawg Banned

Hi Juergen
    Just dashed off a PT to you.

I'll see if I can't investigate this coupling issue today a bit more.

Cheers,
    Gary

16. toonsgt

Cejn couplings:

There a couple of us distributors for these. I checked into getting several of them to convert all my user pumps and stoves to this connection. Until I got the price, that is. The female half of the coupling was about 35 dollars. After I regained consciousness, the salesman told me the minimum order was 5. I'll try to track down that distributor again if anyone is interested.

A us company(Beswick Engineering) makes similar quick disconnects.

Mike

17. theyellowdog

When I had my nova serviced they told me they had sold most of the old stock spares to the likes of fogas.

Dan

18. BernieDawg Banned

Hi Gents

Well, it's over my head. I can source the couplings, but as toonsgt points out, they are expensive. There are some sources in the UK where they are a little bit more reasonable as they can purchased in small quantities. If anyone would like to continue this research I'll share the following:

The CEJN 141 coupler (the part attached to the pump) appears to be threaded into the pump with a 1/8 x 28tpi BSP thread. I believe that it can be found in the UK here:
    Link

The CEJN 141 nipple part (attached to the hose) is a 3mm (1/8") hose barb fitting. I believe you can find it in the UK here:
    Link

The couplers are series 141 couplers from CEJN designed for pressurized air at a maximum pressure of 145psi. A good hydraulic/pnuematic supply house should be able to cut off your old nipple fitting and crimp your 141 nipple hose barb replacement on your existing Nova or Nova+ fuel supply hose. (Or so my hydraulic/pnuematic supply house said.)

What I do not know is what the thread on the new style couplings is where it threads into the pump. I don't have one of those style Novas. If it is 1/8 x 28tpi BSP like the 141, then the modification is possible. If not, well, I don't know. It could require adapters or rethreading. Maybe Juergen can confirm that it is the same thread?

It's a bit of a mess as I see it. My fear is that it's a big enough mess that Optimus won't be able to recover from it. Hopefully I am wrong on this. I agree with anrolfe. Sit tight for the time being and see what the Optimus/Katadyn boys work out. I concur that I think it'll take a good long while.

Gary

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  19. ArcticFlame

Yes, threading is the very same.
    I will check availability next week and report the outcome.

juergen

20. davidcolter

If the CEJN connector refit turns out to be possible for the Nova+, then I would like to join in. It will be necessary to incorporate some form of control knob for rotating the hose. Something as simple as epoxying the existing green plastic one onto the braid or crimp tube should do the trick.