1897-1905 Arvid Böhlmark's 'Jupiter'

Discussion in 'Other brands' started by Christer Carlsson, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Christer Carlsson

Christer Carlsson Sweden Moderator SotM Winner

A 'Jupiter' that probably has seen some action in its early days considering how badly worn the hole of the pump cap is. It's worse than spotted on these images.

The normally removable pump tube has apparently leaked, so a former owner has taken the dramatic solution to solder it all in place instead of fixing a proper gasket.
    The burner has also been swapped for a later Primus one, but that's pretty normal on most oldies.

One of these days I probably will release the trapped pump so I can find out what kind of NRV solution they had there.
    You can only see a bit of it in the last picture I attached from inside the pump tube.
    To get rid of all that soldering will be easy enough, and in the process I most certainly also will fix that excessive 'soldering job' they did on the leg closest to the pump (it probably came loose when 'sealing' the pump.)
    The trouble is that as soon as you do these jobs, you also must polish the whole stove afterwards to keep a coherent look of all, and in my view that destroy most of the appearence.
    I love patina!
    Shiny brass is OK on later stuff, but on really old stuff, I think it sort of kill the object and its history...

...but on the other hand I'm really keen to see how they solved the NRV-issue without infringing too much on the Primus patent, and the only way is to release the entire pump tube...

1.jpg

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg

2. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Christer Carlsson

That is a very fine stove, and it comes with an exsquisite dilemma.

I would probably prevaricate for a while then de-solder it and see if I can get away with not having to polish it all afterwards...

Cheers

Tony

3. OptimusPrime Canada

Is it possible to "mask" the area you need cleaned without affecting the surrounding patina?

4. Wim

Wim Subscriber

This is the most beautiful fount I've ever seen! Hopefully you can get out the pump without to much damage to the fine patina!
    You are a very lucky man, @Christer Carlsson :clap::clap::clap:

All the best,

Wim

5. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

Christer, that is an elegant looking stove despite the solder. :thumbup: