2 burner Optimus

Discussion in 'Mystery Stoves' started by n2666s, Apr 18, 2014.

1. neil

neil Subscriber

Hi Kerophile, thanks for the reply and Happy New Year! I'm not sure I understand this:
    When you mention the grooves and hollows of the burner head, do you mean the outside of the burner?
    This afternoon, I'm going to hone the end of the spindle. I have been guilty of closing down too tight, but I was doing that because sometimes when preheating, I'd get a little burp of fuel out of the jet. But that might have been the first sign of a worn spindle cone....I didn't help by over tightening it.
    Have a nice evening.
    Neil

2. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi Neil, no I was thinking about the inside of the burner head, accessible when the regulator spindle is removed. You need to make sure that any obvious carbon in the threads, and in the cone and aperture to the interior of the burner are clear before re-installing the spindle.
    The burp of flame you have seen on pre-heating could have been an indication of wear to the needle valve, but could just have been residual fuel in the vaporiser, gasifying and igniting during tbe pre-heat.
    It should not be a problem and adds to the heating effect of the pre-heat cycle.
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

3. neil

neil Subscriber

That is what I thought....yes I made sure prior to replacing the spindle I had that area cleaned out.
    Update: I honed the end of the spindle, connected everything and started to pressure the tank...leak BIG time. So, my conclussion is the point at the end of the cone. I'm gonna chuck it up again but knock of the end a touch....I'm thinking that now it's bottoming out first and not seating. Glad I have access to a/c...our temps have been below freezing the past few days!

4. kerophile

5. HercL4D2

HercL4D2 Subscriber

@kerophile Those spindle images are exactly the type damage I have on my stove valve and I do not have the proper tooling to repair it.

6. kerophile

Hi @HercL4D2 here is an extract from earlier in the present thread:

7. HercL4D2

HercL4D2 Subscriber

@kerophile Yes I read that. I actually placed my valve in my spare parts tin along with 2 other good ones. I don't really need it. But I find this 523 posting a good read. My 523 is newer and yet remains unfired. I find it exciting there exists a 523 converted to use a regulated burner with the silent cap. Awesome!!!

I will have to try this fix on my valve. I mean the reworking of the cone not the regulated burner mod

Thank you.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  8. kerophile