Primus No. 2, 1957 - a "fighter."

Discussion in 'Primus No:2' started by Ben Hall, Nov 7, 2021.

1. Ben Hall

Ben Hall United States Subscriber

Here is my latest stove acquisition - a Primus No. 2. I'm not exactly thrilled with how the photos came out - being that it was bright and sunny out today, I was either getting reflections of the Sun off the polished brass washing everything else out...or it seems like things are too dark.

IMG_5481.JPG IMG_5482.JPG IMG_5483.JPG IMG_5486.JPG

One of the previous owner(s) had given it a polish as well as had repainted the cast iron trivet. It's hard to tell, but in some areas, the stamped logos were either not stamped very deeply, or when it was polished, they went a little overboard.

IMG_5489.JPG
    IE: it's very difficult to make out the number "2" on the tank where it says "Primus No. 2."

IMG_5493.JPG
    It has the six digit code "201157" stamped on the riser, making it a 1957 year of production. :) Initially, I was bummed out as the bottom of the tank had no stamped date, but then read the article on Primus dating and found that on later stoves, it was six-digit code that could be on a leg or the riser. :)

IMG_5490.JPG
    These No. 2 stoves are quite big - here is the No. 2 next to a Svea No. 5.

IMG_5491.JPG IMG_5494.JPG IMG_5495.JPG
    Some close-ups of the burner. It's marked with a number "29" on one flat of the hex, and "862" on another flat.

I'm calling it a "fighter" as it took quite a bit of fettling to get it going - even though it was represented to me as being fully working. The copper washer in the middle photo just above was leaking, so it got replaced with a Fettlebox replacement. I had to do the same for the joint between the riser and the spirit cup, it initially had a very thin gasket, but it also leaked. This particular joint needed two gaskets, one above and one below the spirit cup, as the riser did not have a shoulder for the spirit cup, which would have only required one gasket.

The fighting did not end here - upon first lighting post gasket replacement, the flame kept blowing out. The wind isn't too strong here today, I'd call it more than a breeze though, but should not have been able to blow it out. After several nipple cleanings, it finally ran nicely, and the breeze was now unable to blow out the flame.

Then, I went to add more pressure, and the flame blew out! Another pricking and things were back running nicely. I suspect it might have some junk in the tank. I'm using the inexpensive "red kerosene" that I buy locally which is not the best quality, so I don't mind dumping it in order to clean out the tank.

Finally, it was running nicely:
    IMG_5497.JPG

IMG_5499.JPG

This last photo is of particular interest. This kettle is brand-new...and when this photo was taken, had been on the stove for about 5 to 10 minutes. Notice that there is *zero* accumulation of soot - you can see the reflection of the flame in the steel. After boiling about 6 liters of water (it's a big kettle) there was no soot on the bottom, just some white powder that seemed like it may be ash? For sure, once this stove got burning correctly, it had only blue flame and had no odor. This might be the cleanest burning kerosene stove I own?

Thanks much,
    ben

2. Ben Hall

A better photo...
    IMG_5501.jpg

3. Dave tul United Kingdom

That looks amazing i am new hear and only got my first stove a month ago and joined ccs this forum is brilliant and now I'm hooked .i keep looking at these no 5 's as you can get one very cheap on e bay

4. Dave tul United Kingdom

I mean 2/3and 5's

5. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

It's cleaned up nicely, Ben. :thumbup:

6. Ben Hall

And a couple of photos as the sun was going down today... :)

IMG_5528.JPG

IMG_5510.JPG

IMG_5532.JPG

Thanks much!
    -ben