Sievert Svea 123 variations/difference

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by olive, Jan 6, 2017.

1. olive

Greetings. Nice stove site! I've recently become interested in the older Sveas made by Sievert. Being most if not ALL gas stoves these days are made in Asia I figure its best to buy a classic make that is time tested & proven. My Chinese made Swedish Nova is showing signs of illness, so I need a reliable back up that has parts readily available for maintenance.
    I'm wondering if you can direct me to a thread source to understand better the variations of the older Svea 123. I've googled, but get the same limited info. For instance I'd like to know why some of the slanted fuel valve arms sit to the right of the fuel filler cap and some sit to the left of the cap? Were Sieverts stove parts all numbered or did some years not get numbered parts? How does one tell if the windshield is an original? Do all the engraved "Svea Made in Sweden" windshields come from Sievert or did Optimus make some? Did Optimus use left over Siefvert parts after 1969 when they bought the Svea 123? I want to be sure I do not buy a Franken-Svea. Thank you for any help.

2. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

Welcome to CCS.
    I too find the Sievert Svea 123 to be one of the best stoves I have. I have a few of them.
    Here is one link ....
    https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/svea-123-research-project-prelim.11516/
    That would give a great start.

I would suggest looking through the many posts in the gallery, and then searching the Stove Forum and the Fettling Forum. There are many, many discussions on the 123.
    How to prime, use, repair, fuel, etc.

Personally I find that the Svea 123 that came after Optimus purchased the stove brand in 1969, but before they changed the stove with the rings on the vaporizer (1970 - 1972?) are the most (currently) undervalued stove in the set. I see it as Sievert quality with Optimus price. No body wants it if it doesn't have the Sievert engraving.

Ken in NC

3. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

@olive ,

Howdy, and welcome to CCS!! My wife and I spent several wonderful years living in Nord-East Minneapolis, back in the 1980's, and loved it! CCS has several excellent members in that lovely State, too. Where, in the State, do you actually live, if I may ask? The Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness was one of our most favorite places in Minnesota, and our time up there created many fantastic memories for us!

As to the SVEA123, @snwcmpr is steering you in the right direction. Pay heed to his comments, and you can find a good Sievert SVEA for less money than the all engraved versions seem to command these days. What makes matters worse, in the hunting, is that many sellers now call ALL SVEA123's "Sievert", or worse yet, "Max Sievert" stoves!! So, beware, read the info that snwcmpr suggested, right here at CCS, and arm your self with facts. Then, you should end up with a very nice SVEA123, without having to mortgage the farm to get it!! Good luck, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

4. olive

Thank you Ken & Doc. I grew up in southern MN near Mankato, but have been living in Oregon the past 20 years. Oregon is where I got into backpacking after my Army service. Eventually getting into long distance of PCT, AT & CDT. I used the wood burning Sierra Zip stove for those treks. ANy other good threads to read? What are some good search woods to use to find info? Is Sievert Svea 123 the best to punch in for searching? thanks

5. OMC

OMC United States Subscriber

Welcome olive,
    A very nice intro and beautiful regions of the US, I thank you for that. I can not guess your motivation for iconic "Sievert".
    If you seek a user and your first Svea 123, I'll +1 the Optimus Svea 123 of the vintage mentioned. I notice many edits added since these comments initially posted, GREAT. You asked for differences, in addition to *link suggested, I see vaporizer suggested as a difference (and to help your search) +1 w/that as well. *note esp. page 2 near bottom. I wish you well, thx omc

6. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

@olive
    I do not mean to be withholding of information. There is a wealth of information if a few hours (Days/Weeks/Months really) of searching is done. I have spent years with this stove alone. Alexander and Doug were my initial inspirations on the identification information. Many others after. Gary comes to mind as he mentioned things like I could be getting a much better flame from the stove I thought I was proud of. And he was right. A change of the wick and a cleaning of the pipes and yahoo it was a huge difference. (Well, there was more to that story.)

(Note:
    There have always been exceptions found to all these so-called rules we believe to exist.)

The spindle should be pointing at the 1 of the 123.
    Yes, I believe what numbers/words were on Sievert most were removed at the 1969 purchase. Windscreen, filler cap. Key had Sievert before, no Sievert after.
    And no, not all parts were stamped/engraved.
    Good question. Sievert had SVEA 123 Made in Sweden engraved on it.
    As I understand that, the engraving was not present on Optimus stoves. That has been a point I use for identification.
    As I understand it, yes. There have been some Optimus stoves found in "Sievert" boxes with the 1971 date on the box. But, I understand no numbered/stamped/engraved parts were used. (Exceptions maybe?)
    I believe the un-ringed vaporizer on the early Optimus 123 is a Sievert vaporizer, soon changed by Optimus.
    Don't we all. But, if as a user, nothing wrong with a functioning stove.

Ken in NC

7. Doc Mark

@olive ,
    Hi, Olive,

I would recommend, besides reading and studying the link that Ken sent, for you to spend a few hours, days, weeks, perusing the Stove Reference Gallery, and the Stove Reference Library. Just click on the link to one of those, then type in the Country you want to search, "Sweden", then look at Optimus, and Max Sievert offerings in both places. You will learn what you want to know, that's for sure, and when you add in the "Search" function, asking for "Sievert SVEA" or "Sievert SVEA123", you'll be up to speed, completely. Have fun with your learning, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

8. olive

You guys are so helpful and friendly! I appreciate it. I do indeed need to spend much more time researching and this site has helped alot in a few hours of reading. I guess I know the way I am as when I get into something I'd really like to know as much as possible about it before buying. Buy once, cry once as they say. I'd be pretty upset if I bought a $100+ Svea123 on ebay with the intention of getting a Made in Sweden, but a seller sends me an Asian made or Franken-Svea. So I figured a Sievert 123 with marked parts is a safe bet it was made in Sweden, yet they seem to command $150+ as I see. Growing up in Minnesota and being half Swede I've grown to appreciate stuff made there. Like my Mora knife I carried on my long distance hikes or the Gransfors Bruks axes and Trangia 25 stove kit I have. I always heard and read about the Svea, but was never quite drawn to them early on. I had a MSR Dragonfly that its plastic pump cracked on me so I got rid of it. Now my Chinese made Nova+ has a stripped out nut(shallow eroded threads actually) that rides up to the fuel spindle. I do have an original new CEJN pumped Brunton Nova that is still in the box I may have to start using now. I just dont know what current stove on the market is worth dropping $150+ for being they are all seemingly made in Asia, so I'd rather use that money on an old reliable unit like the Svea. As I understand Optimus and Primus seem to have gone down hill these days as well. Is ebay the best source for finding an original Svea123? Do they surface in thrift stores in your experience?

9. Doc Mark

@olive

Hi Olive,

Yes, eBay is a good source, but don't forget swap meets, yard sales, flea markets, and Craig's list!! Those are the places where you should find your best deals, and you can see what you are buying, BEFORE you buy it. Here in So. Cal, there was a time when I could, and DID, pick up SVEA123's for $2-$20, regularly. Same with 8R's, too, and in fact, a couple of my 111B stoves came to me for $20 each. This was a very long time ago, but deals can still be had, IF you get out and wear out some shoe leather looking for them!!! :thumbup:

Up where you now live, there should be plenty of good pickin's to be had when it comes to 123's, 111B's, and 8R stoves. Stop at every likely place, and look for them. I guarantee that they WILL come to you...... but only IF you look for them. Keep us posted, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. I'm inventorying and getting ready to list quite a few stoves here at CCS, which used to belong to our much loved old friend, BajaBum. After his sad passing, I volunteered to sell his stuff, and all money goes to his wife, and family. I'll see if he has a nice SVEA 123 that might interest you. His wife does not want things listed for high prices, but I am still going to try and get "something" out of each one, as I know Steve (Baja) would have wanted us, as his CCS/Stovie/Family, to help take care of his family. I've already bought three stoves, and paid fair prices, but not rock bottom, for them. That money, and all other money, will go into a bank account that was setup for holding the funds until it's time to send them to Mrs. Baja. I know you're new to CCS, but if you want to donate to a very worthy cause, this could get you your stove, AND help a CCS Mate who has passed on, at the same time.

10. OMC

OMC United States Subscriber

Not sure what site and others prefer but
    olive you have more questions on topic, great. I'm taking liberty of pasting your Q here (and you have your shit together, I mean that it the best possible way):

"With the help of this great site I think I'm getting a better understanding for what I'm looking for now. I have my eye on a Sievert and was wondering if a full Sievert parts marked stove, slant, smooth neck(no fins) and (type 3)penta fuel cap be narrowed to 1966-69? Did any Sievert marked stoves make it to 1970 or was 1969 the last year they had his markings?
    Also, has it been concluded yet what year the type 2 Sievert fuel cap was changed to the type 3 penta? Was it 1966 or a bit earlier as I gather? olive, 19 minutes ago"

Re: what year the type 2 Sievert fuel cap changed to type 3? Was it 66 or a bit earlier as I gather?
    I reckon you gather right, off top of my head I'd agree it was "a bit earlier"
    datz it, I wish you well. thx omc
    tag @olive