SVEA 123 pot supports

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Lashams, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Lashams

Hi, can anyone post a picture of just one of the three pot supports for a SVEA 123. I just acquired one of these with the brass windshield but minus the three pot supports and the pan. I want to manufacture the pot supports but need the dimensions, so if anyone can give me those as well with the picture that would be great. I need diameter of the rod to use, the length from bottom to the inside of the elbow, and the length from the inside of the elbow to the end. They look like they should be simple enough to make as only have a single right angle bend.
    Thanks
    Stephen

2. Rdug113

Hi lashams, on my iPad so can't upload pics. Pot supports are 1 17/32 tall (to inside of elbow) and 25/32" wide with a diameter of 1/8". Hope this helps. If u need pics pm me and when I get home I'll upload on the pc.

3. lhofeld

They are also stainless or plated to prevent corrosion. I seem to recall and it may have been from this forum of someone making them from nails. I would look for stainless rod that is 1/4 hard. That should be hard enough to support the weight of any pot you put on it and still be soft enough to bend it. 1/2 hard or greater will probably be too hard to bend to the profile of the support. I would not use annealed.

4. Dutch_Peter

Hi Stephen,
    Thank you for giving me a reason to take the 123 out of its cabinet and take some pictures. The measurements are in centimeters, hope that's not a problem .. :

Measurements:
    Length: 4.4 cm
    Width: 2.4 cm
    Thick: 0.3 cm (3 mm)

1367358177-123_eg_support.jpg

1367358204-123.jpg

Above is an (old) 123. The 123R below has ridges to keep the leg in the windscreen:

1367358743-leg.jpg

You can make legs from 3mm nails easily.

Peter

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  5. Lashams

Thanks everyone, and especially Dutch_Peter for the photographs and detailed info. I especially like the tip of using nails, as hadn't thought about that.

I'm still not sure if I have an earlier 123 or the later 123R, perhaps from my pictures someone can tell me. Also, is there any way to tell the age of these?

Looking forward to getting some pot stands made, so thanks again everyone.

Stephen

1367387361-0D6A6031small.jpg

1367387553-0D6A6027small.jpg

1367387562-0D6A6039small.jpg

6. hikin_jim

You have a Svea 123R. If the valve spindle is parallel to the ground, then it's the "R" model. You should have a jet cleaning needle built into the stove. Notice also that the valve spindle is slightly off set to the left of center if you face it end on. These are all characteristics of the "R" version.

HJ

7. Lashams

Thanks very much for that, appreciate it as there is no writing to confirm it on the tank. Good to know.

8. Lashams

I've had some time now and cleaned up the stove, so attach new pictures. I wish to thank another member of this forum, Salvano, who is Wellington based and kindly donated three pot supports to me. His generosity was wonderful and now I have a working stove. Thank you Salvano, I hope you like the pictures of the stove now it is cleaned and working, with your pot supports doing their job wonderfully.

1368598904-0D6A6164small.jpg 1368598938-0D6A6165small.jpg

9. JasonB1976

A fine wee torch! Boy, I need to find one of them! Wonderful job!

J

10. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

In use the pot stands rotate outwards to hold a bigger pot. Looks to be going well

11. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Greetings,

Outstanding job on your SVEA 123, Sir!! Looks to be running perfectly, and once you cleaned it up, is totally beautiful!! Well done!!! Thanks for sharing your success, and have fun with an outstanding little stove!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

12. itchy

Good to see you obtained some pot supports. The stove looks fine and appears to like what ever you are feeding it. It should work very well for many years.

As you now know you have the 123R. It appears that on the tank it says Sweden but not "Made in Sweden". Also, the chain, which is probably original is not the the twisted link common for the later stoves made in Sweden (it is a bit of throw back however to the highly collectable Sievert). Anyhow, these two things help to identify your stove as a more recent version which was made in Asia (Some say Taiwan, others China, hard to know). These stoves seem to faithfully copy the Swedish made stove, so parts will likely fit well. While there have been a few complaints about these, I have one just like yours, it runs fine and is the 123 I use the most.

13. Nordicthug

Nordicthug R.I.P.

Ooooh!......shiny! I like shiny.

Gerry

14. Shastamike

Hello - I lost my three pot supports on my last bike touring trip and am so bummed out. Looking around the internet to buy some has been a frustrating experience and this site is the closest I have found to a solution. Was wondering if anyone has three used ones they want to sell.

Thanks!!

15. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

make a new set. They are made from no 8 wire and shouldnt take more than 30 min to make a set

16. Shastamike

Thanks for the advice geeves!