Svea No. 5 - late production?

Discussion in 'Svea No:5' started by Ben Hall, Oct 28, 2021.

1. Ben Hall

Ben Hall United States Subscriber

Good morning all,

Here's another find from the e-place. This time I don't think I paid too much for it as I've thought with past stoves I've bought and posted in the SRG. :)

Mostly, the pictures tell the story on this stove. They are right from the auction listing, but with some cropping and some rotation on a few of them. It's obviously unfired - and is very likely to stay that way as I have other silent-burner stoves that are previously-fired to use. :)

The pump bushing cap does say "Sievert Made in Sweden" and there's nothing on the bottom of the stove other than "Made in Sweden." A quick look thru the other No 5 stoves seems to suggest to me that this is a late production stove, but is not one of the last-most production runs. (perhaps just before Optimus bought out Svea?)

The instructions have a 1963 date to them, which as we know isn't a great age indicator as instructions were printed up in large runs long before they were needed, so all we really know from that is that it wasn't made before 1963. :)

In the coming weeks, I will make high-resolution scans of the instructions and the tag attached to the burner. I don't know exactly the file size restrictions here at the moment, but if the scans are too large, I'll post them on my webpage and will link them.

I also plan to take additional photos, as there are interesting part numbers on the burner and on the inner and outer burner caps.

The flame tube for lighting the main burner from the fire in the spirit cup is cute.

Initially, the NRV was stuck closed and the pump leather was dry and wouldn't pump. After about 12 hours soaking in oil and some careful reforming of the leather with fingers, the pump now pumps and the NRV is unstuck. With no plans to fire this, I'll likely leave the original NRV in place, as well as the original fuel tank cap gasket that says "SIEVERT" on it.

Interestingly, when I received it, there was something loose rattling around inside the fuel tank. I shook out those pieces and identified them as solder droplets! Not really sure how those got in there. For sure, the quality of fabrication on this Svea seems to be lower than the other external-NRV models I own, so maybe this isn't surprising?

Anyways, an interesting stove.

svea 5 01.jpg

svea 5 02.jpg

svea 5 03.jpg

svea 5 04.jpg

svea 5 05.jpg

svea 5 06.jpg

svea 5 07.jpg

svea 5 08.jpg

svea 5 09.jpg

svea 5 10.jpg

Thanks much,
    ben

2. abbahco1

abbahco1 Subscriber

This is not particularly late in production, as it has the stamp on the front panel (not present on later examples): I'd say that it is pre-1948. A few droplets of solder inside has no bearing on the overall quality: I've found similar on other unused stoves from further back than this one. I think this one is a good example of the standard Svea product of the 1940s (perhaps late 1930s). It just looks new because it's intact. A good purchase, I'd say - Peter

3. Ben Hall

Hi Peter @abbahco1 - thanks much for the reply and input. I did see discussion in the other Svea No 5 posts talking about the front panel stamp, but wasn't quite sure what that front panel stamp was referring too. I was looking at the photos on my small tablet last night versus the full-size desktop computer, so that might have been part of the problem. :) I'll have to look at the thread again later on the desktop PC when I've got more uninterrupted time available.

thanks much,
    ben

4. Ben Hall

5. Ben Hall

Scans of the hang-tag on the burner. There is some discoloration on the lower portion of the scan from the tape I had to use to keep the tag flat on the scanner.

svea 5_11a.jpg svea 5_12a.jpg

Thanks much,
    ben

6. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi @Ben Hall You have a very nice stove there!

If you look at the Swing-tag, and in particular, the lettering below the Crest you will see:
    AB MAX SIEVERT ESTBL. 1882 STOCKHOLM SWEDEN

The Max Sievert Factory at Sundyberg, Sweden, closed in 1969/70 when the Svea brand was acquired by Optimus and subsequent Swing tags and labelling had different manufacturers names/designations....

In 1976 Optimus stopped making Svea (and Primus) branded stoves. The only exception was the No.123 stove.

Best Regards,

Kerophile.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2021
  7. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

The Instructions with 1963 date in the Printers mark has:
    AB MAX SIEVERT- STOCKHOLM SUNDYBERG (Sweden).

This Factory closed in 1969/70.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2021
  8. Ben Hall

Good afternoon all,

Thanks much for all the comments and information above. I've been out of town with the wife for a little bit - she had some doctor appointments plus a procedure - so I'm way behind in so many things.

Finally got some time to get some additional photos of the No. 5 stove. :) Taking photos was a challenge today - very bright and sunny here in Northern Alabama, USA.

IMG_5474.JPG
    I like how the upper burner cap says Svea, Made in Sweden plus the 1239 part number.

IMG_5475.JPG
    Believe it or not, this was the best of about five photos...and I even adjusted the colors and contrast a bit. Says Svea, Sweden, and part number 847.

IMG_5480.JPG
    The burner also says Svea, Made in Sweden plus has the part number 815 plus Arabic script.

Thanks much,
    ben

9. Ben Hall

Over the past week or so, I've spent some time cleaning and polishing the Svea No. 5. I'm not quite done, there are still some spots that I want to polish out, but figured I'd take and post some photos anyways. :) This stove is unfired and will remain this way. :)

svea 5 polished 08.jpg

svea 5 polished 07.jpg

svea 5 polished 06.jpg

svea 5 polished 05.jpg

svea 5 polished 04.jpg

svea 5 polished 03.jpg

svea 5 polished 02.jpg

svea 5 polished 01.jpg

Thanks much,
    Ben

10. A A C

A A C Norway SotM Winner Subscriber

@Ben Hall
    Hello Ben .
    I have just cleaned up a Svea 5 that looks to be the identical model to yours .
    This one had been used quite a bit but is in solid condition with all parts marked and original . However it looks as though it has been run with ‘underburn’ for a long time as the outer cap is badly deformed , with a hole burned through it . Will have to see if I can dig up an original . The trivet was badly discoloured so I gave it a coat of heat resistant paint . . Interesting to see the comparison between a stove in decent nick, like mine and one in pristine condition like yours .
    1B7DA7FA-A142-4C9E-BFB0-A7E56347E04F.jpeg B0B8C1A0-415E-4F4A-847F-100453BCD28F.jpeg
    Cheers Alastair

11. Ben Hall

Greetings @A A C - you may be able to repair the underburned cap. I recently bought a Meva stove that had a burned up cap that had been poorly repaired with brazing metal and got it back to working shape with some effort. :)

thanks much,
    ben

12. A A C

A A C Norway SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi @Ben Hall .
    The ‘dome’ of the cup is very thin . I’d need to put a brass plate inside to reinforce it . Would mean getting the dome formed correctly and then brazed . I don’t have brazing kit.
    I really don’t know if its worth the effort . I have so many stoves and its impossible to run them all regularly . I think I’ll leave the cap on the stove for originality and just use another cap if I want to run it .
    Cheers Alastair