Tyer's Carrington Nott No.5 lead melter

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Matthew Russ, May 13, 2016.

1. Matthew Russ

I have a lead melter that was purchased from an antique dealer in the early 1970's. Neither buyer not seller had any idea what it was. It's basically been in storage since then. I've had it for over 10 years and just recently found out what it was by looking through this website. Could anyone tell me more?

tyers1.JPG

2. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

All I can tell you is that it's REALLY cool. But then you already knew that.

Ben

3. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

@Matthew Russ Hi and welcome. You've found out what it is - a lead smelter yes, but also for any job in a commercial setting where a powerful heat source (fuelled by kerosene) was required, such as melting a bucket of tar. See advert from early 1900's below.

image.jpeg

Tyers of Nottingham produced them from early 20th century through to propane fired equivalents taking over the role. No clear way of dating them - nothing obvious like a date stamp and no-one I know has sourced enough examples (their own and others) to create a timeline of features to date them, unlike some of the popular brass camp stoves, which were produced in greater numbers and more have survived.

HERE's my Tyers No.3, which depletes my kerosene stock by the bucketload whenever I fire it up, but a lotta fun!

John

4. OMC

OMC United States Subscriber

[*delete/edits in my text below, ... John has it covered, thx John!]

Hello Matthew and WELCOME, :thumbup:.
    [*]...you say Carrington Nott No.5 ... a close up of name plate will help.
    [*] ...You are on a stove site we love flame shots BUT ALSO interested to see pics, esp close ups, that show the actual burners (so MANY varieties!) yours may be unique, ... couple more pics?
    Nice bonus when original pot is with it.
    [*]... smelters, in US & Canada, are plentiful [BUT are tall heavy variety, NOT like yours]...[*]... yours being low profile, remote tank...
    thx omc
    PS drift: found in Florida?, a mecca, a concentration of retirees. I think Florida is uniquely good hunting (incl stove/lanterns) at estate sales etc. Collectors retire w/some/all of their various collections (then die). Kids show up in big hurry to empty the house/condo/storage and leave. Local Goodwill etc get alot of collectibles this way, some very old.

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  5. Matthew Russ

I'll work on posting more.

Tyer.jpg

6. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Just to clarify, the company's name was Tyers and their factory was located in Carrington, a suburb of Nottingham, England. 'Notts' is the accepted abbreviation for Nottingham.

HERE's a thread on the marque in the Stove Reference Gallery. It throws up confusion about the numbering, the originator of the post owning a No.2 (small) and a No.3 (large), yet you have a No.5 which looks like it's smaller than a No.3. Worse, that early catalogue extract I included above has sizes ranging from B (smallest) to G (largest).

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  7. Sparky

Sparky Subscriber

I would offer a very minor clarification. A smelter extracts metals from raw ores. Melters melt the extracted metals. This would be a melter or furnace.

8. cottage hill bill

cottage hill bill SotM Winner Subscriber

Definitely a plumber's furnace and a very neat one. I have a fondness for these and have about a half dozen, all the American upright variety. I'm in Pensacola so if you're every in the north end give me a shout.

9. Matthew Russ

Hi @cottage hill bill. I know it's been a while but I still have the piece in storage and am now looking to sell if you're interested in purchasing it. It's still just as beautiful.