Finally, an Optimus Loke 85!

Discussion in 'Optimus No:85 Loke' started by Doc Mark, Jan 24, 2014.

1. SMolson

SMolson Subscriber

More speculation here regarding potential reasons leading to this model's short run.

On the safe side it's probably a good idea to stick with kerosene. With her mythic name 'Loke' it should be mandatory that every Swedish household own at least one. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  2. Rick b

Hi Doc, I'll throw in my congrats as well. Well done on finding this nice rare beast. Great photos and commentary. ATB-Rick

3. Dutch_Peter

Hi Doc,

Yes it makes sense .. think I need to empty a can of beer and try making one of those :mrgreen: Oi oi oi .. Finding an Optimus #9 would be great: It will be out there and we all get lucky some day :D
    Anyway: Congratulations with the Loke !!

Peter

4. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Evening, Gents,

Thanks, Steve and Rick. I agree that the Loke is very probably safest when used with kerosene, and just like the Optimus Ranger #10, which had lots of problems and was discontinued, despite the fact that it is a fantastic little stove, MOST of those problems were from morons trying to burn CF in a stove that was specifically designed to burn kerosene!! CF = higher pressures, and popped SRV valves, hence: All the"My stove blew up, and it's unsafe and should be dumped", comments! I've used one of my Ranger #10's more than a little, always burning kero, and nary a single problem. I can see, however, with the burner so close to the fuel tank, and NO heat shield (by design) that the #10 would probably blow it's cork if I used it with CF, or any more volatile fuel. As you shared, Steve, I'm betting the Loke got the same bad rap, when in truth, the owners were at fault. Go figure..... Thanks, again, Gentlemen, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

5. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, Peter,

Thanks, again, and here's to good luck for us all, in regards to finding our Opti #9 stoves!! :thumbup: 8)

Doc

6. Harald Thingelstad

Harald Thingelstad Norway Subscriber

I bought my Loke 85 in the late 90s, and no they were not more expensive, it was rather that they weren’t all that inventive when those new stoves with remote bottle and pump were lighter in weight, and suddenly became all the rage.
    Also, they can by pumped too hard by inexperienced and unthinking users (as I had to learn), and replacing all those bulging, wobbly bottles may have become expensive.
    And that’s quite the hard pill to swallow for a market where the market for summer camping were also filled with canister stoves, and these multi fuel stoves became winter camping only for most people.

As for me, I have mostly been interested in summer camping and lighter options for a while, and have only “grown into” winter camping lately. I have worried about my old Loke’s capacity as a snow melter and got myself a “modern” MSR Whisperlite, but that again is quite hard to use for simmering.

Back to my old Loke and the fettling...

7. Alex H Sweden

Just restored mine, had to open the bottom and resolder with a copper disc due to internal failure and ah so many dents which got hammered out.......However i think il sell it....thing is the tank getting terribly hot just after 3 minutes burning (perfectly thoigh with blue flame) and that is without any pots or wind shield....way to uncomfortable for me...il stick with bigger stoves...

8. Nicola Francesco Elia

Nicola Francesco Elia Italy SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

@Alex H is it yours the red painted Loke on Tradera?

I have seen it and now that you said that you soldered a new bottom to it I can see that below the paint.

Because you painted it, the repair is a little hidden.

To be fair you should describe that in the listing, because masked by the paint. A possible buyer could be upset if he will find out after receiving/purchasing it.

Nicola

9. Alex H Sweden

Hi!

Small world eh? You are right, i was so exhausted after the restore i did not think about it. Will add a note. Take care!

Any advice on the heat? is it normal for these little buggers to get pretty hot?

There is a note in some of the pictires saying methylated spitits only....is it supposed to run on that insted of kerosene? I used kerosene....

10. Nicola Francesco Elia

Nicola Francesco Elia Italy SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Yes, the steel tank gets hot with use. It can run on kerosene and gasoline… alcohol is not suggested because the steel tank could rust.

Nicola